So what L mount lenses do you want Sigma and Panasonic to make?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I was hoping for some native Summilux from Leica, but nothing is planned at least up to 2020. Summicron line is surely fantastic, and possibly the best option for size, handling and fast autofocus. With Sigma Art line being soon available in L-mount, I’m not even sure we’ll ever see them.

It would be a real pity because if you think about how well the 50 SL renders, it should have been space for at least a SL 35 Lux and SL 24 Lux.

I’m not convinced by the approach of Sigma for offering a conversion mount service. That is telling that we most probably won’t see any changes in lens design / improved optics. I’m not saying that the Art line is bad. Some of their lenses are simply wonderful, some are not up to Canon / Nikon counterpart. It could have been a great chance for Sigma for exiting the status of a third-party lens supplier and getting closer to the top by offering something new and really unique. I would have welcomed a sort of Sigma “Noctilux” line in L-mount.

I’m less interested in Panasonic offering, as they most probably will try to reach and eventually beat the Sony G Master line. Well before jumping into the digital camera business, those two giants were and are competing in pretty much every electronic goods in Japan. Both Panasonic and Sigma will get serious recognition by having solution in a native Leica mount, being the German brand so respected and praised in Japan. Not sure what will be the immediate benefit for Leica if Sigma and Panasonic are showing their muscles to Canon, Nikon and Sony...

A 600mm SL telephoto lens would be prohibitively expensive. 

I regularly use a Novoflex 600mm Noflexar 'achromat' with 'follow focus mount' and Leitz APO 2x extender with my SL 601. 

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/275370-vintage-lenses-on-the-sl/?p=3552289

I'm wondering if an APO 600mm achromat (2 or 3 elements) with matched 1.4x and 2x APO extenders might be a viable proposition …  all housed in a modular, lightweight, AF carbon fibre mount

Would be much cheaper to produce than a telephoto design.

dunk  

Edited by dkCambridgeshire

A 600mm SL telephoto lens would be prohibitively expensive. 

I regularly use a Novoflex 600mm Noflexar 'achromat' with 'follow focus mount' and Leitz APO 2x extender with my SL 601. 

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/275370-vintage-lenses-on-the-sl/?p=3552289

I'm wondering if an APO 600mm achromat (2 or 3 elements) with matched 1.4x and 2x APO extenders might be a viable proposition …  all housed in a modular, lightweight, AF carbon fibre mount

Would be much cheaper to produce than a telephoto design.

dunk

Providing it can match Canon and Nikon workhorse AF primes why not.

It would be some sight at the next Olympics to see photographer with your Heath-Robinson contraption in a photographers pit along others armed to the teeth with latest and greatest, echoes of Eddie the Eagle :-)

• Like 2

I haven't used any Sigma lens that exceeds Canon or Nikon in the similar focal length and aperture range.

It was always the low price downgraded solution for Canon or Nikon body.

I have not thing to expect from Sigma for my Leica.

That may have been the case in the past but the Art lenses seem to perform well. See Nikon 105 f/1.4 and Sigma’s version as an example.

Not interesting enough for the trouble. It must show its generally recognized leading excellency in the primary interesting lenses.

Sounds as if you're dismissing future Sigma 'L' mount lenses before any have been made available for sale or review. 

How do you feel about future Panasonic 'L' mount lenses?

dunk 

Not interesting enough for the trouble. It must show its generally recognized leading excellency in the primary interesting lenses.

What is the “trouble”? Sigma lenses mount the same as any other. Tape over the logo and you’re trouble free.

You stated Sigma was a downgrade from Canon and Nikon for their mounts. I pointed to an example where Sigma’s new lens seems to be optically superior to Nikon’s and now it’s too much trouble. What was your point originally?

I've been hanging on to my Nikon D750 knowing that my next purchase would be a long telephoto probably a 150-600, and secure in the knowledge that such a lens is most unlikely to be available for my SL. This alliance changes everything and I would much prefer the L mount version when it comes and to part with the D750 to help fund it, even if the IQ and build quality is not up to Leica standards.

I haven't used any Sigma lens that exceeds Canon or Nikon in the similar focal length and aperture range.

In that case you probably have not used their "Art" primes. Those consistently match or beat similar Nikon and Canon lenses in tests.

Nobody will force you to buy or use these Sigma lenses, but be aware that they are not the same cheap lenses from 20 years ago (at least in their premium lineup).

It was always the low price downgraded solution for Canon or Nikon body.

I have not thing to expect from Sigma for my Leica.

You're right. I'll throw my Vario-Elmarit R 28-70 and Fisheye Elmarit R into the dustbin... :rolleyes:  Even back then, Leica deemed Sigma good enough to build Leica-branded lenses.

It is quite possible (although not known) that the acclaimed CL zooms are built by Sigma as well.

And what happens when Leica do not make / cannot make / cannot be bothered to make .. a specific focal length or lens type … which therefore can never be (according to your argument) 'generally recognised leading excellency …etc etc ' ?? 

Do you decide not to dabble with taking certain types of photographs for which existing 'leading excellency' Leica lenses are not suitable or do not exist? 

And who exactly does all this 'general recognising'  to prove this so called, Leica 'leading excellency in the primary interesting lenses'

God?  Amateur Photographer Magazine? Cartier Bresson? 

dunk 

Your question is too wide to answer. I can only comment on the lenses I want but Leica SL do not offer. But it may be general enough. Super wide, super long, and PC.

I once wanted super wide, such as 12mm, and I found Laowa has a pretty good choice, when can even support with proper adapter on certain camera mount. I havent seen any Sigma to match or even close to this.

I also want super long lenses, 600mm, I found I need very good AF that I can only count on Canon or Nikon. This is the area that Sigma is fery aggressive but still not matching yet. For these, the only sensible solution for me is to get the Canon DSLR (or Nikon, but I chose Canon with the reasons irrelevant for this thread). I dont expect Signa to change the situation ( it would have happened with Canon or Nikon mount already if they are capable). When I amreally serious about the PC lens, I would take the Canon body too.

I think Sigma i spending too much efforts on the Me-Two any-mount lenses, but never get to the real first teer. Zeiss does not have its pwn camera system, and is also offer the comatoble mount lenses, but usually, true or not, people owns it trat it as the upgraded len w.r.t the native brand.

In comparison, Zeiss to me is a Me-One options, while Sigma is merely Me-Three.

I would not bother with Sigma L stuffs. The best it can offer should be in the Canon mount or Nikon mount already.

What can Sigma offer with L mount that it cannot with Canon or Nikon mount?

• Like 1

I would not bother with Sigma L stuffs. The best it can offer should be in the Canon mount or Nikon mount already.

What can Sigma offer with L mount that it cannot with Canon or Nikon mount?

Read my reply (and others’) regarding Art lenses compared to Canon and Nikon.

You're right. I'll throw my Vario-Elmarit R 28-70 and Fisheye Elmarit R into the dustbin... :rolleyes:  Even back then, Leica deemed Sigma good enough to build Leica-branded lenses.

It is quite possible (although not known) that the acclaimed CL zooms are built by Sigma as well.

Indeed Leica R has many lenses produced by Minolta etc. third party compnies. Not all Leica R stuffs are highly regarded.

Check the Ebay and secomd market price.

The Sigma Art lenses seem to be first in line for getting an L mount.  Whether they will be properly tweaked for the SL sensor glass (thickness) remains to be seen.

These are, however, big and fairly exotic lenses.  The Summicrons may be slightly more compact, but they're not tiny, and they're slow in coming. For compactness, the M lenses (Leica, Voigtlander, Zeiss) are, of course, the ne plus ultra, although they do show their limitations compared to SL lenses, the APO 50mm Summicron being an exception.  

Edited by jrp