So what L mount lenses do you want Sigma and Panasonic to make?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

We know what Leica is making, slowly. What would you like to see the new L mount partners make? For me,

12-24 Art. A nice match for my 24-90 and 90-280.

The new 60-600. For some reach.

120-300 f2.8. The need for speed.

135 1.8.

a macro.

a teleconverter.

Gordon

• Like 3

A 24/1.4 is already on the list and that makes sense for an SL. Further I’m only interested in 600+ mm or a soon L adaptation of the existing long tele’s

Edited by otto.f

Advertisement (gone after registration)

something like 28mm/2.0 and 100mm Macro

(Leica announced the first one for 2020, so maybe we will get it 2021 - I hope sigma will be much earlier)

For a starter Sigma just announced 28mm f1.4 ART lens in usual F, EF & K mounts, easy to expand to L mount now, so maybe no f2 version any time soon, you may have to wait for Leica's own.

With respect to macro Sigma offer three lenses, 105, 150 & 180mm in usual DSLR mounts, here is link to Nikon F version.

https://www.wexphotovideo.com/camera-lenses/#esp_category_cf=LensMount&esp_category_filter_Manufacturer=Sigma&esp_category_filter_LensType=Macro%20Prime&esp_category_filter_LensMount=Nikon%20F%20(FX)

I own the Sigma Art 1.4/85 mm - in terms of optical performance this lens is really spectacular. The downside is that it does not behave very well with the Novoflex SL-EOS adapter. We know now that Sigma also will offer en EOS-SL adapter, but if this is going to be better than the Novoflex one, I have no idea of course. However, it is interesting to read that from 2019, Sigma will offer a mount replacement service also for the L-mount, and it is likely that this will involve the Art lenses as well I should think. So instead of selling the 1.4/85 I have now (with EOS mount) and probably take a loss, and buy the same lens with L-mount, the mount conversion is certainly an option. As of now, Sigma has not given any prices for the conversion. 

Edited by Ivar B

I have the Sigma 17-50 f2.8 zoom on my Canon 50D and I love the results from it. It's just got a look that is hard to define but it was much better than even the Canon 17-55 2.8 (which is an L lens although they don't use the L mark on their crop sensor lenses).

The Sigma in the Leica mount for the CL would be a great addition IMHO but I can't see why anyone would buy the Leica 'kit' zoom instead at many times the price of a Sigma!

• Like 1

My favorite lenses are primes at 75, 105, and 135mm.  I would love a fast f2 zoom covering 70-135mm.  I would use this for 90% of my images.  On my Nikon system, my favorite lens is the 200mm f2.  I would love this in an L mount as well.

Also, some tilt-shift lenses would be great, although I adapt my Canon and Nikon tilt-shift lens to the SL currently without issue.  

Edited by hhn360

It appears that Leica is not going to directly address the need for long prime lenses for wildlife and sports photographers. I'm hoping the Panasonic or Sigma will fill that void. I do have the (Leica) DG Vario Elmar 100-400 (affectively 200-800) that I use on my G9. This is a tremendous lens and I am unsure why Leica cannot use some of that technology to develop a similar offering for the SL. A 600mm prime would be a great place to start.--lt

• Like 2

It appears that Leica is not going to directly address the need for long prime lenses for wildlife and sports photographers. I'm hoping the Panasonic or Sigma will fill that void. I do have the (Leica) DG Vario Elmar 100-400 (affectively 200-800) that I use on my G9. This is a tremendous lens and I am unsure why Leica cannot use some of that technology to develop a similar offering for the SL. A 600mm prime would be a great place to start.--lt

A 600mm FF prime by Leica would be so ridiculously expensive that the market would be tiny.

Canon and Nikon sell there’s at $12000+. I know exactly no one who owns the exotic telephotos from Canon and Nikon but have encountered many who rent them.

I don’t see Leica having the market share to justify a healthy rental market so large expensive telephotos don’t seem like they would be economically viable from Leica.

A 600mm FF prime by Leica would be so ridiculously expensive that the market would be tiny.

Canon and Nikon sell there’s at $12000+. I know exactly no one who owns the exotic telephotos from Canon and Nikon but have encountered many who rent them.

I don’t see Leica having the market share to justify a healthy rental market so large expensive telephotos don’t seem like they would be economically viable from Leica.

Yes, the Leica price tag for a 600mm f4 SL APO would likely be higher than high. But I would gladly put a long Sigma (or Panasonic) prime on an L-mount body - as long as the lens is optically good. Possibly not Leica SL-good (a la 50Lux-SL, 75 and 90Cron-SL), but still good.

I'd settle for Pana or Sigma doing an AF adapter for Nikon or Canon glass. I have both 500mm f/4 and 600mm f/4 on that front and despite trying to do bird photography with the CL and 90-280, it just doesn't cut it. If Leica did a 500mm or 600mm f/4 that matched the IQ of the existing SL lenses I would be very hard pressed not to sell my current long lenses and get one... and the money be damned. But I think that's a pipe dream. I do hope Sigma come to market in a big way though... a native L mount Sigma (on a 47MP Leica SL2) would sell well I reckon. 

• Like 1

I am personaly seeking for some long reach, without affording too much a weight. The 150-600 C could make it. OK, it is f6.3 at the long end, but it is still better than the f8 a 2x extender would eventually involve on the 90-280 (which I own already).

But in another end, fixing the 90-280 on the promising Lumix S1R would still leave around 12 mpx on a 600 mm equivalent crop... Times are tough’ now. Plenty new options reveals...

Sigma already fulfils my deepest desires except The Dot.

I probably wouldn't think much about Panasonic having Sigma & Leica to choose from.

The idea of 28-70 / 2 (Canon R) sounds like a dream. I wonder whether Sigma could pull that off. Or eventually something like 35-85 or 35-75 with f/2. I could have this one lens for the rest of my life ;) 

Noted! I cannot disagree with any of what you say. The market would be small.  Recently, I purchase the Lumix G9 to fulfill those needs that Leica cannot fulfill with the SL. Interestingly, the Leica/Panasonic collaboration on the 2.8/200mm with the included 1.4 teleconverter makes that lens affectively a 560mm lens with IS for 2.5K. It would be nice to see some of that technology for the SL.

Noted! I cannot disagree with any of what you say. The market would be small. Recently, I purchase the Lumix G9 to fulfill those needs that Leica cannot fulfill with the SL. Interestingly, the Leica/Panasonic collaboration on the 2.8/200mm with the included 1.4 teleconverter makes that lens affectively a 560mm lens with IS for 2.5K. It would be nice to see some of that technology for the SL.

Maybe we will see something from Panasonic or Sigma like the lens mentioned, but the price, weight and size would be significantly greater. The 300 and 400 f/2.8 lenses tend to be very expensive for FF systems.

• Like 1