Thinking of Trading my Canon EcoSystem for Leica

Hammer

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The Noctilux 0.95 is superb on the SL. It’s beautifully balanced, and doesn’t suffer from the purpole fringing it had on the M9. Compared to the 50 Summilux-M? Actually, not a great deal, except the extra stop and it is definitely softer wide upen. From f/4 down, not much distinguishes them (Puts makes this comment also).

The real alternative is the 50 Summilux-SL. Sharp acros the frame, creamy bokeh and cheaper than the Noct, and has AF. And it has weathersealing. I have the three zooms (the 90-280 behemoth really only gets used for birding and when I really need the extra reach - for all it’s qualities it is huge and heavy as any lens of that range and quality will be). For a travel or walk around kit, I’m drawn to the 16-35 zoom and a 50 (either Noct or 50 Summilux-SL) or the 75 Summilux-M.

Spoilt for choice! Good luck.

+1 for the balance! But purple fringing is an issue on the SL, at least based on my experience. But yes - the Noct is as made for the SL...

I have an M9 for the rangefinder experience, but I would like to have an option for AF (my wife is running the Boston Marathon in April - and I had BETTER get AMAZING pictures of her, so the 24-90 will be a must after Xmas).

Mike

I would not risk my life in this matter :D. It's probably far safer to stay with the Canon 1DXII for the shot you need. It takes time to really get used to a system well  ;)

I still have my Canons around even if I've not done any shooting with them in the last 12 months.

Edited by lx1713

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thank you again for the feedback. I am getting ready to post my Canon gear on eBay in the next few days and then once I have enough money I will purchase the SL to use with my current M lenses. I will get the 24-90 after Xmas bills are paid.

Not sure where you live but both Leica Store Miami And Leica Store San Francisco do a great job with trades and if the trade is specifically for the SL they often can give you a super deal.

Which image? I couldn’t see it. Hasn’t been an issue for me.

This is the image I was linking to, with a crop. Quite an 'active' colour palette there... But, after a few seconds in Lightroom, using Defringe, the purple/green fringing can be tamed (next post). 

Let me add that I have traced through my Noct-images - and it looks like the newer versions of the SL software are less prone to show purple/green fringing than the first FW. The actual image was taken 17 Nov 2015, or pretty much at the time of the launch of the SL, and consequently with the first version of the FW.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

And then, with some adjustments in Lightroom, including Defringe.

Christmas rain. SL + 50 Noct-M.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by helged
  • Like 1

And then, with some adjustments in Lightroom, including Defringe.

Christmas rain. SL + 50 Noct-M.

On iPad screen water droplets hanging off the rail in both post #30 and #31 look the same. Plus there is common prominent blue light at the left of the rail - same picture?

On iPad screen water droplets hanging off the rail in both post #30 and #31 look the same. Plus there is common prominent blue light at the left of the rail - same picture?

Same picture. There is still some fringing in the last version of the image - but the difference (improvement) is large on my monitor. 

• Like 1

Same picture. There is still some fringing in the last version of the image - but the difference (improvement) is large on my monitor. 

My bad, realise same picture, meant to say couldn’t see much improvement between two versions.

Wide fast M lenses I use exhibit colour fringing in spades, easy to fix with purple sliders in ACR.

• Like 1