and Sigma's Roadmap

MediaFotografie

Both Leica & Sigma are stronger as lens maker. Panasonic on the other end has strength in electronics just as Sony. 

I have a strange feeling that the L mount alliance will make Panasonic another FF camera household brand with the option of Leica and Sigma glasses even though the L mount develop was initiated by Leica.

• Like 2

Am 15.11.2018 um 11:22 schrieb helged:

Thanks to @Chaemono - much appreciated! 

Any finding regarding flaring for highlights directed directly into the lens, somewhat off the lens' centre line and, particularly, located near the image circle?

The SL 16-35mm is almost immune to flaring (simply fantastistic for a wide lens, irrespective of prime or zoom), and the SL 75mm is quite good. What about the SL 50mm Lux and the Sigma counterpart? If/when time permits... 

You and sillbeers will receive a link to two Raw files now. This is the best I could do at home. The sun hasn't been out for weeks here and 90 percent chance of rain tomorrow. For now just this one frame with a spotlight directed directly into the lens. I'd say the Sigma lens controls flaring well but it does show a bit. You have to zoom in on the frame of the artwork in the background where there are two birds painted in a circle. It's tiny but it's always there. I took several shots. Not a material difference but the 50 Summilux-SL shows none. No lens hood used on either lens.

Edited by Chaemono
  • Thanks 2

• 1 month later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, mmradman said:

All good stuff, expect remounted Art lenses good optically at similar size and weight to other DSLR/ML mount Sigma lenses. 

I believe that Sigma promised some rehoused and some all-new lenses during the original L-Mount press conference. I'm sure we will see the Art lenses, and probably some of their long/specialty lenses. It will be interesting to see what the new dedicated lenses are. I'm sure they have a few optical tricks up their sleeve.

• 2 weeks later...

Honestly, I'll be happy if the first thing announced is a fully functional EOS to L adaptor. The Novoflex one is only OK (possibly limited by the SL processor and may improve in the next generation). A fully functional adaptor makes a vast array of lenses available including long teles (120-300 2.8. yummy!!) and macros.

Best move for the L consortium as well.

Gordon

• Like 1

Here's today's Sigma press release for their initial L-mount lenses: https://www.sigma-imaging-uk.com/sigma-lenses-l-mount-022619/

And here's the lens line up. No dates yet, though.

SIGMA 14mm F1.8 DG HSM | Art
Launch: TBD
Case supplied

SIGMA 20mm F1.4 DG HSM | Art
Case supplied

SIGMA 24mm F1.4 DG HSM | Art
Case and Hood supplied

SIGMA 28mm F1.4 DG HSM | Art
Case and Hood supplied

SIGMA 35mm F1.4 DG HSM | Art
Case and Hood supplied

SIGMA 40mm F1.4 DG HSM | Art
Case and Hood supplied

SIGMA 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | Art
Case and Hood supplied

SIGMA 70mm F2.8 DG MACRO | Art
Case and Hood supplied

SIGMA 85mm F1.4 DG HSM | Art
Case and Hood supplied

SIGMA 105mm F1.4 DG HSM | Art
Case, Hood, Tripod Socket, and Protective Cover PT-21 supplied

SIGMA 135mm F1.8 DG HSM | Art
Case and Hood supplied

• Like 1

Optimized AF for L-Mount*1

With the AF drive control program and high-speed communication tuned for each lens, shooting at speed with high-precision AF control is achieved. The lenses also support the AF-C mode.

Compatible with in-camera image stabilization*1

Compatible with in-camera image stabilization, the camera automatically detects the focal length of each lens and optimizes image stabilization performance.

Data pre-loaded for compatibility with in-camera aberration correction*1

Fully compatible with in-camera aberration correction (corrections for peripheral illumination, chromatic aberrations, and distortion). By matching corrections to the optical characteristics of the lens, this function takes image quality to an even higher level.

Native mount for a more rigid and stable feel

Making the lens mount native provides a much more rigid and stable feel to the lens than using an adapter. Featuring a surface treatment to enhance strength, the brass bayonet mount offers a high-precision fit and exceptional durability. The mount connection area incorporates rubber sealing for dust- and splash-proof construction.

Available SIGMA Mount Conversion Service*2

This service converts specifications of the mount of SIGMA lenses to that of a different camera body. Users can "tailor" their favorite lenses to the camera body if they plan to get a new one in the future. This allows continued use of their favorite lenses over the long term regardless of the camera system.

1. Compatibility with each function depends on the functions available on each camera.
  2. The SIGMA Mount Conversion Service (chargeable) is different from a normal repair service. It is not available at stores. In order to apply for the service, please contact your nearest authorized SIGMA subsidiary or distributor.

I don't know whether the thread below remains relevant for the Sigma 14mm f1.8 in L-mount; but I had to check several copies of the lens before I ended up with an optically outstanding one in Nikon-mount, adapted to Leica SL. In my case I checked for sharpness and pin-point representation of stars across the entire image field wide open (on Leics SL and Nikon D5), which is a tough test for any WA lens, and possibly something many shooters don't care too much about. It is not the intention to downplay the Sigma 14mm f1.8 - the one I ended up with is very, very impressive (albeit on the large and heavy side of the equation...).

Edited by helged
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Bob Andersson said:

Here's today's Sigma press release for their initial L-mount lenses: https://www.sigma-imaging-uk.com/sigma-lenses-l-mount-022619/

And here's the lens line up. No dates yet, though.

SIGMA 14mm F1.8 DG HSM | Art
Case supplied

SIGMA 20mm F1.4 DG HSM | Art
Case supplied

SIGMA 24mm F1.4 DG HSM | Art
Case and Hood supplied

SIGMA 28mm F1.4 DG HSM | Art
Case and Hood supplied

SIGMA 35mm F1.4 DG HSM | Art
Case and Hood supplied

SIGMA 40mm F1.4 DG HSM | Art
Case and Hood supplied

SIGMA 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | Art
Case and Hood supplied

SIGMA 70mm F2.8 DG MACRO | Art
Case and Hood supplied

SIGMA 85mm F1.4 DG HSM | Art
Case and Hood supplied

SIGMA 105mm F1.4 DG HSM | Art
Case, Hood, Tripod Socket, and Protective Cover PT-21 supplied

SIGMA 135mm F1.8 DG HSM | Art
Case and Hood supplied

Lovely. Now I can try out lots of different focal lengths and not break the bank...

Shame about the delay.

The DP Merrill with its Foveon sensor was the most “film like” rendering that I’ve seen from digital. Fantastic B&W too due to its deep tonality.

I’m curious to eventually see the definition of the above referenced 60mp. Sigma used to discuss the DP Merrill’s megapixels on its Foveon sensor in a more unique way to what we typically associate with Bayer sensors ....

http://www.sigma-dp.com/DP-Merrill/#!/concept

1 hour ago, Jon Warwick said:

Shame about the delay.

The DP Merrill with its Foveon sensor was the most “film like” rendering that I’ve seen from digital. Fantastic B&W too due to its deep tonality.

I’m curious to eventually see the definition of the above referenced 60mp. Sigma used to discuss the DP Merrill’s megapixels on its Foveon sensor in a more unique way to what we typically associate with Bayer sensors ....

http://www.sigma-dp.com/DP-Merrill/#!/concept

No problem with the wait if this guarantees a well-functioning, true colour, FF Foveon sensor, possibly also with acceptable performance at semi-high ISOs. I am in... 

I do not know enough about the foveon sensor, but why do they claim the 5520x3680 sensor a 60MP sensor?
Multiplying the 6000x4000 pixel by 3 the Leica SL would have a 72MP Sensor.

What is so special at the Foveon, that you can say it is a 60 MP?

1 hour ago, verwackelt said:

I do not know enough about the foveon sensor, but why do they claim the 5520x3680 sensor a 60MP sensor?
Multiplying the 6000x4000 pixel by 3 the Leica SL would have a 72MP Sensor.

What is so special at the Foveon, that you can say it is a 60 MP?

See e.g. https://medium.com/ice-cream-geometry/an-ode-to-the-sigma-merrill-506dd0864169

• Like 1

Thank you Helge i will read this stuff this evening…
It sounds quite interesting although it has downsides as every technology.
But that makes the l-mount interesting. Brilliant lenses that can be mounted to different cameras for their special tasks…

• Like 2