Leica FOTOS Mobile Phone App for Q and others

Advertisement (gone after registration)

"New Editing and Sharing Capabilities with Leica FOTOS

Leica Camera introduces Leica FOTOS, a brand new mobile app which offers Leica photographers the tools to stay connected easily through a single app. Compatible with almost any Wi-Fi enabled Leica camera, the new app allows photographers to capture unforgettable moments remotely, transfer, edit and share images quickly, easily and on-the-go.

The Leica FOTOS app makes it easy to connect a smartphone to a Leica camera with the easy instructions provided at the start. All current Wi-Fi enabled Leica Cameras can be connected to the Leica FOTOS App. The app will automatically save all Leica camera credentials to instantly connect the next time it is used with the phone.

Leica FOTOS enables photographers to access the Live View function of the camera and remotely change exposure-relevant settings such as the aperture, the ISO value, the shutter speed and exposure compensation from a smartphone. It naturally also allows wireless control of the shutter release, which opens up entirely new creative opportunities. Leica FOTOS can be used for this in combination with many popular software tools, ranging from Adobe® Lightroom®Mobile® to VSCO®.

The Leica FOTOS app currently supports Leica S (Typ 007), Leica SL, Leica M10, Leica M10-P, Leica Q, Leica TL2, Leica TL, Leica T, Leica CL, Leica D-Lux and Leica V-Lux cameras.

Beginning today, Leica customers can register for a free beta-version of the Leica FOTOS app for iOS and Android devices at fotosapp.leica-camera.com. The app will continue to be available free of charge after completion of the beta-evaluation phase.

Read more: https://leicarumors.com/2018/09/25/leica-camera-unveils-five-major-announcements-at-photokina.aspx/#ixzz5S83ulyaC"

I thought that starting this Topic would help all of us share our findings when the software is released.

This is thrilling for those of us shooting RAW only and trying to get them into Lightroom Mobile!

Stay tuned...

PS: how do I edit the topic title to correct spelling?

Edited by stuny
  • Like 3

I have no problem with the Q app - now that i've learned how to use it. Which is now:

1.Turn on WLAN on camera.

2. Select Control mode

3. Select Leica wifi on iPhone (because I've used it before and only have to install it once)

4. Press big button on Leica app to connect

5. Er...

6. That's about it

I use it a lot and only have a crappy old iPhone. Works like a charm. Great for getting candids while the Q hangs round my neck.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have no problem with the Q app - now that i've learned how to use it. Which is now:

1.Turn on WLAN on camera.

2. Select Control mode

3. Select Leica wifi on iPhone (because I've used it before and only have to install it once)

4. Press big button on Leica app to connect

5. Er...

6. That's about it

I use it a lot and only have a crappy old iPhone. Works like a charm. Great for getting candids while the Q hangs round my neck.

I envy you. My experience has been less stellar. Mine drops out repeatedly every 1-5 minutes. The lag from pushing the shutter on the app is near 1.5 seconds. I’ve used the app for several hours in total and I find it disappointing. Useful, but it could be a lot more solid.

Having an issue downloading the beta app in Apple's TestFlight app.  Seems the invitation from Leica needed to give me a redeem code.

Perhaps they will resend the invite.  I'm ready to explore/test/document the FOTOS app.

UPDATE 1:  The servers were just busy.  Do not download the "TestFlight" app UNTIL you get your invitation.  THEN you click the "View in TestFlight" button.  This causes the app store to deliver the Leica app wrapped into TestFlight for safety...

UPDATE 2:  I've got it and am going to get my Q to start testing.  

Edited by SonomaBear
  • Like 2

Tried it, it seems very limited and has much less control and settings than the Leica Q app. Also dropped the connection while I was watching a photo in the gallery.

The good thing however is the ability to transfer DNG files through WiFi, though pretty slow (one minute or so).

Edited by Voxen
  • Like 1

Tried it, it seems very limited and has much less control and settings than the Leica Q app. Also dropped the connection while I was watching a photo in the gallery.

The good thing however is the ability to transfer DNG files through WiFi, though pretty slow (one minute or so).

Precisely my experience with the new app. I really like the capability to download DNG files and wish that Leica would have just added that capability to the existing Leica Q app, which always worked fine for me and does appear to be faster than FOTOS. It would be interesting to hear about the experience of users of Leica cameras other than the Q. It may be that the developers created one basic app and modified it for the various Leica cameras, which would indicate the need for some compromises.

• Like 1

Sorry to hear a few people having trouble with the Beta app. I had the opportunity to test it today after uninstalling the old Leica Q app and its camera profile from my iPhone 8. I had trouble creating a connection b/w the camera and the phone at the beginning because of the misunderstanding that I had to go through my household Wi-Fi. I learned that the Q has its own Wi-Fi and the connection has been effortless since then. The phone connects to the camera pretty quick after a few steps as follows.

1) the camera’s WLAN Mode must be in “Create WLAN”

2) Chose “Remote Control” in Connection

3) while the camera is showing it’s unique QR code, swipe the phone’s screen to connect to the camera. Of course, the app must be open on the phone.

All three steps only take 10 seconds, more or less.

New improvements over the older Leica Q app that I found so far include:

- transfer DNG or JPEG. The JPEG transfers almost instantly, DNG file takes a little longer. I did not try transferring both formats at the same time or finding out whether it is possible.

- Touch AF is enabled and is awesome! However, the camera keeps this focus mode and does not return to the previous mode that had been chosen prior to the connection.

- the signal distance is decent, at least 7 meters away unobstructed but there is no connection if you are in a different room.

There is a bug though. After uploading a photo and sending via e-mail. The e-mail goes through but the app hangs, fortunately not the phone! The connection must be turned off from the camera and the whole connection process has to be repeated to use the app again. This has been reported to Leica.

In short, I like it better than the old app because of the simpler and faster connection, uploading/downloading, and Touch AF.

• Like 1

I found another thing that I would not call a bug. As I said the connection is lost b/w the phone and the camera when I was in another room. But when I go back closer to the camera, the connection is not re-established automatically although the app on the phone keeps on searching. I had to repeat the connection process above.

But why?

Slow to dowload...all the wifi...can't process properly.

More complicated electronica...i'm over it.

Why not just use your mobile phone to take a pic and send to social media, or EBay...if one is so interested in immediate results?

We can take time folks, life is not always knee-jerk.

Sorry to hear a few people having trouble with the Beta app. I had the opportunity to test it today after uninstalling the old Leica Q app and its camera profile from my iPhone 8. I had trouble creating a connection b/w the camera and the phone at the beginning because of the misunderstanding that I had to go through my household Wi-Fi. I learned that the Q has its own Wi-Fi and the connection has been effortless since then. The phone connects to the camera pretty quick after a few steps as follows.

1) the camera’s WLAN Mode must be in “Create WLAN”

2) Chose “Remote Control” in Connection

3) while the camera is showing it’s unique QR code, swipe the phone’s screen to connect to the camera. Of course, the app must be open on the phone.

All three steps only take 10 seconds, more or less.

New improvements over the older Leica Q app that I found so far include:

- transfer DNG or JPEG. The JPEG transfers almost instantly, DNG file takes a little longer. I did not try transferring both formats at the same time or finding out whether it is possible.

- Touch AF is enabled and is awesome! However, the camera keeps this focus mode and does not return to the previous mode that had been chosen prior to the connection.

- the signal distance is decent, at least 7 meters away unobstructed but there is no connection if you are in a different room.

There is a bug though. After uploading a photo and sending via e-mail. The e-mail goes through but the app hangs, fortunately not the phone! The connection must be turned off from the camera and the whole connection process has to be repeated to use the app again. This has been reported to Leica.

In short, I like it better than the old app because of the simpler and faster connection, uploading/downloading, and Touch AF.

Thank you for your detailed analysis and comments on the new FOTOS app.

You made one comment that I want to elaborate on: "I learned that the Q has its own Wi-Fi and the connection has been effortless since then. The phone connects to the camera pretty quick after a few steps as follows." This is correct and a hint to anyone who is already successfully using the Leica Q app. Specifically, you don't need to re-establish the WLAN when setting up the FOTOS app, since the connection that you established with the Leica Q app works with the FOTOS app, as well.

• Like 1

My advice is not to try the new app as the old one will give you a lot more control over the camera and all it's functions. Really disappointing seeing the previous app was so good

I found that I can can go back and forth from the old to the new app since both are still on my phone.

• Like 1

I found that I can can go back and forth from the old to the new app since both are still on my phone.

Since I’ve deleted the old app and cannot compare, would you please make a list of features that the new app is missing from the old app? I do not recall anything the old app has but the new app has not. Thanks.

ps: I love the brief sound and short vibration of the new app on the phone when you change the shutter speed and aperture. They make you feel like the “clicks” on the camera. Pretty sleek!

• 2 weeks later...

Tried the app today (Finally). 

The good: Photos can be taken from a good distance about 16' Feet after that the connection drops. i Haven't checked if it can do video   :mellow:

The Bad: Camera and phone takes time to connect at first. then it takes it sweet time to load the photos from the card. They should give a choice to load or control the camera for speed!. 

Conclusion: ill write to Leica what i think and what they can add. But at the end am only using this app as a controller that is all. Photos below is of me. I gave the camera to my mom to just hold and i trolled it. thats why am looking down at the phone. She doesn't know how to use the camera, so this helps a lot! for any one who doesn't know how to operate a camera, but they can at least hold it!. only thing the back screen goes black so you gotta tell them where to point. 

45166641821_f024351301_b.jpgUntitled by dimanatti, on Flickr

44255649595_7d033bb7d3_b.jpgUntitled by dimanatti, on Flickr

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I downloaded the full release of the FOTOS app yesterday. I have an M10-P/iPhone X and the set up was effortless. 

I then downloaded a couple of test images from the camera to the phone. Again simple enough, although it seems to render both the JPG and DNG images on the camera in B&W (I display JPG shots on the camera LCD in B&W). When I come to process the DNG file from the phone (email attachment, upload to another service - Flickr) it then displays the image in colour. However when I close the app and reopen it the images on the phone are in B&W.

One question: I haven't been able to get the upload from the phone to Flickr to work. Not sure whether anyone else has tried this and has the same problem? 

Jim

UPDATE:  JPG files upload ok to Flickr, but DNG files don't

Edited by jmourilyan
Update