Leica Fotos app - supports android - finally

rodf

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I upgraded my firmware yesterday, and became a beta tester of the Foto app today. After connecting via the QR code, the app reported that I'd been disconnected, the camera showed an error message, and then froze. I had to remove the battery to get the camera to turn back on again. This happened twice the same way.

Needless to say, I'm disappointed and unlikely to try this again. It's very scary when you're A camera appears dead!

I upgraded my firmware yesterday, and became a beta tester of the Foto app today. After connecting via the QR code, the app reported that I'd been disconnected, the camera showed an error message, and then froze. I had to remove the battery to get the camera to turn back on again. This happened twice the same way.

Needless to say, I'm disappointed and unlikely to try this again. It's very scary when you're A camera appears dead!

what phone and software do you use? I didn't have any problem with ios12 and iPhone8+. The DNG transfer was quick, opening on Snapseed was efficient and remote works for the time being

It would be helpful to know which camera model was used when we have descriptions about flaws or lack of them. All I know yet is that there are big differences between reactions on the App.

Perhaps that‘s one of the main reasons for persisting problems and one app for so many models is not the right solution.

• Like 2

I have an M10 and use an iPhone 7+ on iOS 12.      I've probably used the app for about half an hour and in that limited used it's worked pretty much flawlessly..  except for the exceptional battery drain on the camera.

Honestly, cameras are not that complicated..  one app for all of them should be quite fine.

I am testing FOTOS at the moment. It is quick and easy to connect to M10, remote is good, transfers reasonable. So far, so good.

FOTOS: released Sep 25, 18

Version: 0.24.0

iPhone 6

iOS 12.0

M10  v: 2.6.5.0

Edited by pico

One app for many models is a completely reasonable design. Takes less effort for the SW developers to support one code base. QA and testing is the same since each model needs to be tested regardless. Canon does it today. 

Canon provides One app that supports (I edited it down to camera's supported)

PowerShot G1 X Mark III ** / SX730 HS** / G9 X Mark II
EOS M100**/ Rebel SL2**, 200D** / M6 / M5
EOS 6D Mark II / 77D / Rebel T7i , 800D

PowerShot SX430 IS / SX432 IS / SX620 HS / G7 X MarkII / SX720 HS / SX540 HS / SX420 IS / G5 X / G9 X / G3 X / SX530 HS / SX 710 HS / SX 610 HS / G7 X / SX60 HS / N2 / G1 X Mark II / SX700 HS / SX600 HS / N100,

PowerShot ELPH 360 HS / 190 IS / 350 HS / 340 HS,
IXUS 190 / 285 HS / 180 / 182 / 275 HS / 265 HS
EOS 5D Mark IV / Rebel T6 , 1300D / 80D / Rebel T6s , 760D / Rebel T6i , 750D / M10 / M3
VIXIA HF R80*/ HF R82*
LEGRIA HF R86* / HF R87*/ HF R88*
PowerShot G16* / S120* / S200* / SX510 HS* / SX280 HS* / N* / A3500 IS* / A3550 IS* / S110*,
PowerShot ELPH 330 HS* / 130 IS* / 120 IS*,
IXUS 255 HS* / 140* / 135* / 245 HS*
EOS 70D(W) / 6D(WG/W) / M2(W)
PowerShot ELPH 530 HS* / 320 HS*,
IXUS 510 HS* / 240 HS*

I can't see that new app on Google play.  Does anyone have any ideas?

It is called Leica Fotos and is for many Leica cameras including the M10.

It is currently in an open beta test. You can sign up here:

http://uk.leica-camera.com/Photography/Leica-Fotos/Leica-Fotos

Click the 'Early access' button

My initial notes: overall really happy to finally have an Android app for my M10

• Android installation (Samsung galaxy S7) went flawlessly
  • Camera connection took about 30 seconds first attempt. Subsequent reconnects took under 10 seconds
  • Remote control worked great. Changed my manual settings to "A" for both ISO and shutter speed. Live view in my phone worked and seemed to be running at 15fps. Very cool
  • Downloading to phone - not good yet. No way to change Leica folder target to my SDcard. Phone is out of memory so all images are stored on SDcard. filed bug
  • Uploading to google Photos - worked but painfully slow. one image took over 30 seconds. Filed bug
  • Sending image via GMAIL. Image did not attach. filed bug
  • M10 Battery usage. Absolutely did seem poor. Over 30 minutes went from 80% to 50% by just having the app "on". Simple SW fix here to have camera sleep but listen. I am guessing that the live view is sucking battery. even when I'm not looking at live view "remote". Again SW fix should resolve this. Filed bug. 
  • Overall UI - not bad for version 1.0. Clean implementation with room for improvements (See below). Images rotate when phone rotates to full screen. Can zoom in on image fluidly. 
  • Settings. Needs enhancements. Storage options noted above. Also needs a way to link in my favorite photo editing app. "Share via" doesn't show Instagram or Snapseed or Copy to clipboard as choices. 

My opinion after an hour - Glad I downloaded the app and there was a way to provide feedback. I did not see any of the "hangs' other have noted and turned camera on/off several times to check.

I am looking forward to version 1.05 :-)