Leica Fotos app - supports android - finally

rodf

Advertisement (gone after registration)

G2van. Sorry you had to buy an aftermarket solution for such an expensive camera (that comes with wifi) 

Actually I don't consider the Toshiba Flashair SD card an aftermarket product. I already had it with my previous M240 (that had no wifi unless you bought the multi-function grip). And I prefer the Toshiba wifi system - works faster than Leica's IOS app. Plus the Toshibas are less expensive and works with more sense in the app than Eyefi cards.

And I just tested the following on Android: used Toshiba Flashair app to see if it can import DNG - short answer is yes it can! And using it with Photoshop Express app, the DNG file will be processed and sent out as a jpg file.

So I did a quick test as follows:

(i) Android (Huawei P10) with Flashair app downloading DNG file from M10, processing with Photoshop Express 

(ii) Android (Huawei P10) with Flashair app downloading jpg file from M10, processing with Photoshop Express 

(iii) iPhone 6 with Leica app downloading DNG file from M10, processing with Photoshop Express 

Here's how the Flashair app works with DNG files on Android:

1) connect to Flashair wifi  (Flashair wifi always on so long as camera is on - the wifi seems to come up faster if the camera is on and "play" mode is on to view photos) (password saved so connects automatically, unlike Leica app where password needs to be keyed in each time and requires a two step connection)

2) open Flashair app to see files in the SD card. Only thumnails of jpg files can be seen. DNG files cannot show as thumnails but all files are organized by the last shot to the earliest and is divided by dates

3) choose the DNG file you want, a window will say "missing camera profile ... do you want to continue using standard profile?".

4) Click "continue" - it takes about 2 seconds to read and then open the file so you can view it

5) Click "download" - goes into your android phone's gallery (under file created for your Flashair)

6) Open DNG file with Photoshop Express app, process it, then click "save". It takes about 14 seconds to save

7) file output as jpg is 2.1MB

How Flashair app works with jpg files on Android:

1) same as above

2) same as above

3) same as above, only select jpg file from thumbnail

4) file opens and downloads fast

5) same as above

6) same as above except open jpg file, process and save is almost immediate

7) file output after processing is 1.5MB (from in camera jpg file which was 6.1MB)

Leica IOS app steps (iPhone obviously):

a) go to menu of M10 to turn on WLAN (24 seconds to get turned on)

B) key in password each time then connect (takes 9 seconds to connect)

c) open Leica app, tap first time to connect (5 seconds), tap again to connect (5 seconds)

d) DNG and jpg files show as thumbnails

e) download DNG file - fast almost immediate download

f) open file in Photoshop Express, process and save (almost immediately saved)

g) file output is jpg at 295KB

Personal observations and conclusions:

With Toshiba Flashair SD card and Flashair app, you can transfer both DNG and jpg files to your Android phone to post process and output as jpg file. Main downside with importing DNG file (if you shoot only DNG), is that you can't see the thumbnail in the Flashair app and it akes longer to open and save. If you shoot in both DNG + jpg file, you can view the jpg thumbnail and then download and process the jpg file, which is faster.

For me, the Leica IOS app is more tedious and also takes quite a long time especially at the front end with all the connections it needs to make.

I don't understand why the final jpg output using the Leica app + Photoshop Express combo gives only about a 300KB jpg file while using the Flashair route gives closer to a 2MB jpg file. That's quite a big difference. By the way, the Toshiba Flashair app is also available in iOS format!

• Like 2

Thanks so much to g2van for that information.  That basically solves half of the problem and I will go and buy a Toshiba Flashair this afternoon and follow your instructions.

But it doesn't quite let Leica off the hook as a remote control app would be handy.

g2van

great workflow description, thank you. I've just ordered a Toshiba Flashair SD. If this workaround solves my problem then I have a working solution by buying a $39 product

Still completely burns me my $6,895 product + $3,000 lens camera is incomplete while other Leica cameras support Android - I had much higher expectations moving from 20+ years of Canon L work to Leica M for this user experience

Also looks like Leica needs to hire some App programmers as the performance and workflow for their camera + IOS app workflow is poor. 24 seconds to turn on wifi? That my friends has been solved in every camera phone for years. I do use 2-step authentication for my personal finances - unclear why my images need that level of security. Should be optional 

again, thank you for the work

i've given up mostly on these camera mobile apps (android).  the Fuji one is just ok, the leica one for the TL2 cuts out and needs to be reset from time to time. I never even installed the one for the SL, nor will I.

If android users have issues, I think the best solution is to get an OTG cable and a small usb 3 card reader (you dont need a UHS-II one).  That's the best and fastest way to transfer both JPGs and DNGs to my phone then I upload to Lightroom CC.  I can definitely get photos from my m262 to my pixel xl faster via OTG cable (USB C OTG cable) then trial and error wifi connection via these apps.

Also find yourself an android file browser that can handle exfat, there is one posted on XDA called: MiXplorer.  

When I get my M10 (this monday!!), i wont miss or be disappointed about not using the wifi feature.  

Edited by r_kt

• 3 months later...

A few days ago I ordered an M10 and paid a deposit. I was assuming that so long after release of the M10 that the Android app. would be available. Just before driving into town to pick it up I checked only to find sorrrrry, no Android app. So I cancelled my order and after some toing an froing the Leica store reluctantly refunded my deposit.

Why I want it is not so much to transfer photos, but for long exposure and time lapse work. If it's in the dark (astronomy pics) it means I need an app that will take a pic every, say, seventy seconds with the exposure set to 30 secs. Thus allowing an extra 30 secs for the M10 to do its cancel noise thing. I'm not a Apple fan as all my early Apple computers failed after a relatively short time, like one month out of warranty.

The work-around is to get a Canon or Nikon which have all the astro-photo support.  I may go down that path but it would be a pity if I do as I've been a dedicated Leica tragic since my M4 in 1968.   

The M10 app must be a very low priority for Leica. Even on iOS it’s finicky and slow to retrieve images and occasionally drops the connection entirely; and this is with the phone sitting right next to the camera. I don’t know if it’s poor software on each side or a relatively poor Wi-Fi chip, antenna and signal from the camera that’s the issue, or maybe a mix of both. I doubt very much the iPhone is the limiting factor (tested with an Phone 7 Plus).

At the very least Leica should make an Android version available ASAP, hire contractors if necessary to get the work done.

Edited by Simon
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

From Leica Technical Services, NJ yesterday - in reply to Leica, Washington DC query on my behalf:

"Please let your customers know that we have been made aware of a multi-app being developed in Germany that will replace all individual Apps for our current cameras with one, and it will be compatible with both iOS and Android platforms.  There is no official release date but Leica AG is hoping for late this year.  That means we don’t expect to see a specific Android App just for the M10 to be developed in the meantime."

Translation...not anytime soon.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

Hi, same you some of you desperately looking for Android support for M10, I recently got Toshiba flashair w-04 64G but discovered after a while that some files got corrupted (only file name but can not play back in M10 and cant delete until format).  Sometimes I can not even shoot until turning on and off the camera..... anyone having similar issue with flashair or any SD card knowing M10 seems having in general compatibility issues with SD cards?

• 2 weeks later...

I can only recommend to think twice before upgrading to the new firmware 2.6.5.0 for the M10. 

It is good that Leica explicitely says that you won't be able to use the old "Leica M App" after upgrading to 2.6.5.0.

I am on 2.6.5.0. and I must say that the new app is a serious setback compared to the former one. My assessment is based on the following:

• You can only connect your mobile device to a WLAN created by the camera. It is not possible to connect camera and device to another existing WLAN - which was possible with the old app. This seems to cause even more strain on the battery than before. With a fully loaded battery I was only able to make a handfull of test photos and try some functions - than the battery was empty. I think this makes the App practically unusable together with the M10. (Battery consumption for other camera models seems to be accepatable).
  • It is not possible to zoom into the view displayed on your device or change the position of the focus point. Both was possible with the old app. Using the app and watching the scene you want to take your picture off is now ways below the standard you can achieve when you use the camera's display. The comfort you may achieve with the touch screen of the M10-P is fully lost if you use the app.
  • The app is fixed in vertical mode on your device's display. So if you want to take a photo in horizontal mode, the display is only used on its narrow side. If you use a "slender" device this gets unaccaptable.

As long as these restriction are not overcome by new versions of the app, I do not think it was a good decision from Leica's side to release the app now. I am very unsure if the main restriction, i.e huge energy consumption - can be solved at all with the M10.

So I'd recommend to upgarde to the new firmware and trying the new app only for people who want to try a remote function with their android device - which was not possible with the old app. Though they'll need a lot of spare batteries fully loaded. Another reason for using the new app may be it's functions to download photo files directly to the device. Though the files are very large - even in jpg -  and limited possibilities for postproduction on a mobile device don't seem to me very convincing in this respect.

Unfortunately there is no way to downgrade to the former firmware after you upgraded to 2.6.5.0.

• Like 7

You can sign up for early access to the app.   I'm using the iOS version and in limited use I can say that it is much much better and faster than the old M10 iOS app.   The only downside is that it seems to eat up battery like crazy.   M10 still takes a good amount of time setting up the WLAN though, that hasn-t improved, but the connection is way more convenient. 

[...] Odd that your experience may not have been repeated with other testers such that Leica might have delayed the firmware update just made available? [...]

The new firmware is a prerequisite for using the new app on M10/derivatives. Unfortunately, Leica seems to be under a lot of time pressure to deploy this app in the market. I declined to further participate in the respective beta test because the software was truly in alpha state at that time, which was quite recently. I think that they definitely do not do the brand a favour by releasing immature software and/or firmware.

Edited by schattenundlicht
  • Like 1

The easiest, fastest, and energy-saving way to transfer photos from M10 to cell phone is to use an SD card reader with otg support. For android phones, it only costs $10, and is no larger than a pack of gum.

Unless there is an option that I don't know importing on iOS through the adapter is a pain, it's slow and it loads sequentially.. meaning, the more photos you take the longer you have to wait until you can select the photos you want (most recent).

Also, the FOTOS app conveniently downloads to its own separate folder...  It loads faster with more recent photos first, you can use the camera while downloading, you don't see duplicate photos (and guess which one is which) if you shoot DNG + JPG, you can choose to download Raw, JPG or both..  and you can control remotely.