Anyone use their Summicron 35mm as their only lens?

Ray Vonn

Advertisement (gone after registration)

First, for some of us it is still relevant to ask - film or digital. Because from here we could provide the view OP was asking about.

Second. this question was asked in the broader range not so long time ago here. 

14 pages thread:

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/272774-is-35mm-all-you-really-need/

Since, I don't know if OP is interested in film, I will only tell for now what after getting into modern rangefinders I use 35 lenses predominately.  Street, reportage, environmental portraits. 

As for Summicron in particular it also needs more details from OP. Which Summicron 35 version?

Hi Ko.Fe., it's digital for me (M-E).  I was referring to any Summicron version really, but since posting the question I have purchased and am awaiting a Summicron version 4 (yes, I know it's not *really* the king of bokeh nor the sharpest).  Also have Zeiss lenses in the 21mm and 50mm focal lengths, but instinctively, I do feel as if the Summicron will be spending most time on the camera.

Hi and congrats with the v4! I really like it... even with its very soft corners wide open. At 4,0 it is just so nice. And even if the bokeh king image is wrongfully put on this lens, the bokeh is still quite nice.

• Like 1

Hi and congrats with the v4! I really like it... even with its very soft corners wide open. At 4,0 it is just so nice. And even if the bokeh king image is wrongfully put on this lens, the bokeh is still quite nice.

Thanks.  About another 10 days till it arrives.  First Leica lens, so really looking forward to it.

Thanks. About another 10 days till it arrives. First Leica lens, so really looking forward to it.

Hi again

Be patient with this your first Leica lens. It was my first Leica lens as well. And the one out of a number of more recent Leica lenses that by now has grown the most on me. It took me a while to see it though ,-). Its not my most technically perfect lens by any means, but it just delivers very pleasant drawing/rendering according to my preferences.

Edited by Stein K S
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I honestly don't know which I prefer more, the 35 or 50 focal length.  I just returned from two weeks in Scotland and the 50 was along while the 35 was left in Texas.  I am off to Alaska at the end of the week and am taking the 35/90 combo along with the MP240.  If push came to shove I would leave the 90 at home.

Presently, I do not own a Leica 35 but have owned several in the past.  I am using a 35f1.2 for available light and a 35f2.8 C Biogon as my prime travel lens due to size.  Honestly, I don't get too wrapped around the axle as to who makes the lens and am glad we have choices.  If I could only have one lens on my Leica, it would be a 35.

• Like 1

I see. I also have M-E for digital and after getting Summarit-M 35 2.5 it is a problem to share it with M4-2.

At some point I was thinking of getting second Summarit because I don't like to switch lenses.

I'll wait for CV 35/2, if they actually going to make and sell it after showing at this Fotokina.

Hi again

Be patient with this your first Leica lens. It was my first Leica lens as well. And the one out of a number of more recent Leica lenses that by now has grown the most on me. It took me a while to see it though ,-). Its not my most technically perfect lens by any means, but it just delivers very pleasant drawing/rendering according to my preferences.

Yes, I'm not expecting the "best" nor seeking technically perfect which, let's face it, is a bit boring. Just want to get familiar, get to know it, enjoy the small size.  I would imagine, my Zeiss lenses are probably better.     

I usually travel with 21-35-50-90 but 80% of my shots are with the 35, 15% with the 21, and the last 5% the 50 with a few 90 shots. In film days I used the longer lenses more, but found with the M9 and M240 I get good results with cropping the files from 35 to a 50 and even 90

FOV. I have a v4 as well as kept my well-worn v3 as a backup. Some day I may travel with just the 21 and 35.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

The Summicron 35 is not my only lens, as there were other lenses I bought before it.  But by way of update, and having spent some time with it and my M-E, I can see now that, yes, it could easily be the only lens one needs.  I have other 21mm and 50mm FL lenses and they just don't get used in comparison to he cron despite the fact they are in many respects better lenses, considerably better value and can make more creative images.  Before, when using the equivalent FL on m43, Fuji and even FF Nikon cameras, 35mm didn't make sense to me; it was never one thing nor the other, a sort of unsatisfactory middle ground.  However, it's whole new world in terms of use and flexibility when forced to think and manual focus one's images using a 35mm and there's pretty much nothing that can't be achieved with the 35mm.  And the best thing is, you don't need the latest and greatest (I have the version 4 for example), I'm pretty sure any cron will do. 

• Like 1

On 9/25/2018 at 12:31 PM, Ray Vonn said:

And is anyone of the view that this lens is all that's needed, whether it be street, landscape, portrait and low light photography photography?  Would be interested to get any views.    

No. If you need a telephoto lens then a 35mm Summicron is pretty much useless. Same if you want something ultra wide although you could take multiple photos with your 35 and merge them together, but it's easier to use a wider lens. 

That's why Leica made cameras with lenses that you can change, and a range of different lenses to go with them.

3 hours ago, Ray Vonn said:

However, it's whole new world in terms of use and flexibility when forced to think and manual focus one's images using a 35mm and there's pretty much nothing that can't be achieved with the 35mm

Especially if you like big noses :D. Just kidding but what you say about 35mm could be said about other focal lengths by people preferring them. 50mm by truly yours for example. Not to say that i dislike my 35mm lenses but they spend more time on my APS than FF cameras.

50mm for me too on FF. I struggle with facial exaggerations using anything wider for close portraiture.  A 90mm is even better for portraits...IMO.

I find 50mm a good walk-around lens too.

I use 35mm a lot too.  If have to take a people pic just step back a bit and, while not frame-filling, does reduce the face distortions.

Edited by david strachan
  • Like 1