Leica Fotos: An App for ALL WiFi Leica Cameras - Open Beta Test

Leon_B.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Leica announced the new Leica Photos App at photokina 2018. With the software it is possible to remotely control all Leica cameras with WiFi and to load pictures from the camera directly onto the smartphone.

The app is available for iOS and Android. With Android, it will be finally possible to remotely control the Leica M10.

The app will be released on October 25th. Users who want to have a look at the app can take part in the open beta test. Leica customers can register for a free beta-version of the Leica FOTOS app for iOS and Android devices at fotosapp.leica-camera.com. The app will continue to be available free of charge after completion of the beta-evaluation phase.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3

How is the process to become a beta-tester?

Previous betas have involved maybe 10-20 people at a time.  I would expect some different process if this is going to be an open (Adobe-style) beta, which some hooks made available for handling feedback, suggestions, and bug reports.

It will be nice to have one app for all cameras, but what do you hope to use it for?

scott

Previous betas have involved maybe 10-20 people at a time.  I would expect some different process if this is going to be an open (Adobe-style) beta, which some hooks made available for handling feedback, suggestions, and bug reports.

It will be nice to have one app for all cameras, but what do you hope to use it for?

scott

For me, NOT remote control, but downloading images from the camera to my phone (and LR Mobile) while out and about, giving the option of immediate emailing or posting to social media.

• Like 1

Anything will be better than the Leica CL app, which simply doesn't work worth a darn.

Of course, having "one app for all WLAN compatible cameras" is an excellent idea for those who have multiple WLAN cameras. It also focuses the software development engineering completely onto one product that does the same job, which is generally a decent idea since it maximizes use of the always-limited engineering talent pool.

The app will serve me both in remote control operation ... particularly for the CL, given the lack of a wired remote option ... and for doing quick image review and downloading to my iOS devices of selected frames for processing while traveling. This latter is particularly important since I no longer carry a laptop when traveling: I don't have enough use for that anymore, an iPad Pro is more appropriate due to size, weight, and performance characteristics, and the latest generation of image processing apps on iOS is well up to the task.

Is there any news for people who have already tested some sort of "beta" version for the App?

It may be helpful for others to know what to expect.

The small preliminary beta test showed the app progressing rapidly, so lessons learned during that period may not apply to what should be a more mature app released to our ungentle hands this week...  I think a clean start with no history is just fine.  The best information to get sorted out is what levels of Android and iOS are needed for the app to run effectively, and the more feedback Leica gets, the better this can be established.