New Leica SL Lens Roadmap

Leon_B.

But they are smaller than the SL 50mm 1.4. A lot smaller.

The 50mm 1.2L was the reason I left Canon for Leica in the first place. The new RF50 from Canon looks good but it's much much larger than the Leica Summicrons. The 50SL 1.4 is in a different league to the Canon 1.2 (and I had several copies plus a colleague who still has a love hate relationship with one). Poor corners wide open. Focus shift from f2 to f8. Occasional funky boke. Fun with CA. It's a character lens. But optically challenged by modern standards. I expect the 50 SL cron to be similar to the 75 and 90. They're epic. And really not that big, plus they are wonderfully balanced on the SL. Balance is more important than size. Try a 75 or 90 on the SL. You may feel differently after.

Modern lens design is allowing new designs and those designs tend to be larger. Otus, 50 Art, 50SL Lux, 58 Noct Nikkor, RF50 1.2. All big lenses. The SL Summicrons are smaller than all of those.

Gordon

+1 From the samples available online, you can already tell that the new RF 50 L is somehow optimised for medium to short shooting distances. It's a much improved lens from the EF 50 L, but it's still lacking the micro-contrast of the SL 50. Totally agree about the Summicrons, the SL 90 is probably the best lens I've ever shot with, at any focal length

@prismstorm if you're running on the latest firmware you need to get your lens checked. 

As to SL2, I reckon Leica will let the dust settle on Panasonic's SR1  and then bring out a camera with similar electronics, a few tweaks, that is much more expensive and that we will all go out and buy because - like the SL - it will be an utterly gorgeous piece of equipment to take photos with

most accurate prediction I have ever read  :)

Edited by hillavoider