New Leica SL Lens Roadmap

Leon_B.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It's always good to have more choices.

I hope that Leicas contribution to the alliance is not only to commercialize the L-mount and let the others do the work.

Indeed it is, and I understand that a lot of what is being said today at the press conference is still quite open ended. We still don't know much more than yesterday. (except that roadmaps have been postponed ;) )

Over at the Fred Mirana alt forum, they're worried about the thickness of the sensor glass. Will all L-Mount cameras and lenses be optimised for the same sensor glass? How about M glass compatibility?

I'd personally like to know if my S lenses would - with adapter of course - be fully functional on other alliance members' L-Mount camera's?

There are many unanswered questions as yet, but I'm hopeful that today is a good day for photographers who - for all kinds of reasons - do not want to go the Canikony route.

Predictably, the hall is barely empty following what is probably one of the most significant announcements from Leica in decades, and the experts here have kicked over the announcement, declared that the SL is dead (again) and expressed disappointment that there are no new goodies after all the predictions from the rumours site.

Sure, the lens roadmap reinforces that Leica is slow producing lenses - when was that ever news?

Meanwhile, the sun still shines, the SL continues to be fabulous and the SL lenses the best Leica has ever produced; oh, and all Leica camera specs remain rubbish and the lenses heavy, huge and expensive.

In the words of Ned Kelly on the gallows, “Such is life”.

• Like 6

Guest BlackBarn

Do we really need all this new stuff?

Isn’t the SL, it’s lenses and capability already sufficient to enable us to continually develop our ‘eye’, techniques and love of

photography for many years to come?

So many paintings in our museums are mixed from a limited palette of 3 to 5 colours. In that regard, the ingredients that matter, have never been about the ‘equipment’.

It's really disappointing to see this nearly empty roadmap. 35 + 50 are postponed to 2019 and then for approx. 12 month we will not see additional lenses. 

And looking at the roadmaps published in the past, its hard to believe in the time goal of this current roadmap.

Funny how people have their own pet peeves..... and seemingly short memories. Not long ago it was John and others railing against the M240 and its size and ‘bloat’. Now there are some who rail against the size and weight of SL zoom lenses, and the lack of smaller primes. Even with loads of choices, Leica and other brands, there’s always room for griping.

What goes around comes around. Such is life. :)

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

>>>>>

Kazuto Yamaki, CEO, SIGMA: “As cameras evolved into digital and mirrorless, requirements from users and systems introduced by each brands diversified. Currently, there are overwhelming choices for users, but in terms of extensibility and possibility, the system truly meets user’s needs is not yet available. SIGMA is joining this alliance to develop mirrorless cameras benefiting from a short flange back. As SIGMA strives to develop high performance, high quality and innovative products, this alliance will strengthen the level of completion and the extensibility of our camera system and provide greater user benefits. Leica is a magnificent company that has been contributing to photographic cultures for more than 100 years, and Panasonic is leading the industry by developing reliable technologies across various fields. Together with SIGMA’s unique, high performance and high quality products, the L-Mount will evolve as an extremely attractive system for users.”

Sorry, but this is marketing babble, no facts. Only the future can tell, whether it comes true.

Yep, and my memory of that is perfectly clear. I didn’t buy the M(240) and still never would. My memory is also very clear that I was not concerned over the size of the M(240) - the “bloat” that put me off that camera was functional. That was a confused camera which I seem to recall say tried to do too much, and did it reasonably poorly ... actually, “half assed” was the expression I used.

Short memories, indeed.

• Like 1

This is an interesting development for sure. I guess the question is what Panasonic technology are Leica getting in return for opening up their lens mount and how / when will Leica bring it to market in new bodies. Getting native Sigma Art lenses onto the SL is, however, a wecome step forward, although I have more lenses than I need even as it is. With the Fuji announcements following the Nikon and Canon ones, it’s interesting times ahead.

Yep, and my memory of that is perfectly clear. I didn’t buy the M(240) and still never would. My memory is also very clear that I was not concerned over the size of the M(240) - the “bloat” that put me off that camera was functional. That was a confused camera which I seem to recall say tried to do too much, and did it reasonably poorly ... actually, “half assed” was the expression I used.

Short memories, indeed.

The short memory was in response to the criticism for the griping, not the specific rationale. There are dozens of other examples; everyone has his/her own pet peeves. None are more precious than the other... except to the person expressing them.

Jeff

To me some of this discussion is just plain strange. The future of the SL mount is: 

1. Improved co-operation between Leica and two large players in the camera industry. Regardless of previous stuff things are going to the next level.

2. Access to a native camera that gives IBIS, 47MP and possibly no mandatory LENR. This with the SL lenses will be epic.

3. A sigma L to EF adaptor (announced) as well as the Current Novoflex.

4. SL mount added to a wide range of fine Sigma lenses to allow native functionality (like the 12-24, 85 1.4, 105 1.4, 135 1.8 and possibly 150-600S) PLUS the option to convert existing Canon lenses etc.... These are really really good lenses people.  Access to a 70-200 via Panasonic. Probable access to a native 150-600, 12-24 and a whole bunch of very fast primes.

5. A 24x36 format Foevon camera that can take Leica SL optics. :)

6. Potentially access to the m4/3 flash systems via the Panasonic camera and if they adopt the Leica standard it'll almost guarantee Profoto/Godox will get on board.

7. By end 2019 there will be 3 to 5 cameras and 20+ lenses available.

8. Most importantly... A guaranteed future for the SL cameras and lenses we all own now and a change from a bit player to a major competitor in the mirrorless space.

And yet here we are bitching about a 21mm coming in 2020, instead of the dozen lenses coming in the next year. I get the Leica optics are special. But the others are very good as well. Many are spectacular.

Strange indeed.

Gordon

• Like 7

Very disappointing roadmap. While the other new mirrorless are even coming out with exciting new types of lenses, Leica can't even manage anything faster than f/2. That's the aperture of Canon's new 24-70 zoom. 

What are they even doing in Wetzlar? 

• Like 1