New Leica SL Lens Roadmap

Leon_B.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On the photokina 2018 Leica has announced the new Leica SL-System lens roadmap. We will get five new lenses until 2020.

• APO-Summicron-SL 35 f/2 ASPH. (2019)
  • APO-Summicron-SL 50 f/2 ASPH. (2019)
  • APO-Super-Summicron-SL 21 f/2 ASPH. (2020)
  • APO-Summicron-SL 24 f/2 ASPH. (2020)
  • APO-Summicron-SL 28 f/2 ASPH. (2020)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 5

It's really disappointing to see this nearly empty roadmap. 35 + 50 are postponed to 2019 and then for approx. 12 month we will not see additional lenses. 

Hi There Ingo

I agree about the timescale, but at least there will now be many cheaper alternatives available to fill the less used gaps until Leica come up with the goods.

Panasonic lenses for µ43 have been really good, so I would expect no less with their L mount. Sigma have a range of telephoto and Art lenses which will presumably be coming to L mount in the near future.

I think that things look pretty exciting myself!

• Like 5

I'm getting good use out of M28's (two of 'em), M24/2.8, M18/3.8 and would be using my M21/3.4 except that it is glued to my old M240 deep in a camera bag.  I can wait for Peter Karbe and crew to do the wide angle Summicron series right.  (I have claimed a place in line for their new 24/2.0, whenever it finally surfaces.)

Hi There Ingo

I agree about the timescale, but at least there will now be many cheaper alternatives available to fill the less used gaps until Leica come up with the goods.

Panasonic lenses for µ43 have been really good, so I would expect no less with their L mount. Sigma have a range of telephoto and Art lenses which will presumably be coming to L mount in the near future.

Anyone want to place bets on how long it will take Panasonic, which has been making m43 lenses for a long time, to shift designers and production facilities over to full frame.  Changing the mount is probably the easy part of this.  Of course, they just may have started on this already.  1-2 years ago would be my guess.

Sigma has the lenses all ready to go.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi There Ingo

Sure, I own a G9 and Gx9 with a bunch of lenses from fisheye to 400mm and use them a lot. And I really appreciate that Panasonic and Sigma stand in for Leica to fill the gap.

But when I invested in the SL three years ago the idea was to invest in Leica, not Panasonic or Sigma. I need to wait and test how close to the SL 75/90 and zooms the outcome of their lenses is or if it's visible if I mix the lenses during a job. 

I really, really, really miss long L-mount lenses. It's understandable that Leica has other priorities (architecture, landscape) - but hopefully Sigma will have something to offer. Perhaps an upgraded version of their 500mm f4.5 HSM lens. This is not a lens at Leica (or Nikon) standard but it does - nevertheless - exist...

• Like 1

But when I invested in the SL three years ago the idea was to invest in Leica, not Panasonic or Sigma. I need to wait and test how close to the SL 75/90 and zooms the outcome of their lenses is or if it's visible if I mix the lenses during a job.

Nobody’s arm is being twisted to buy Sigma or Panasonic. If you’re worried about how L mount lenses match, which is a good point, nothing changes for you because of this alliance. It just means L mount users will have more choices, which is a good thing.

• Like 1

so will the Panasonic L lenses work with the existing SL ? they just announced 2 cameras and some lenses

"Panasonic says it will introduce more than ten lenses before the end of 2020"

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by frame-it

so will the Panasonic L lenses work with the existing SL ? they just announced 2 cameras and some lenses

"Panasonic says it will introduce more than ten lenses before the end of 2020"

They say that products that are compliant with the L-Mount standard will function together so if we assume, and I think we should, that the mount used on the SL is the current version of the L-Mount standard then the Panasonic lenses should work on the SL.

• Like 2

Sigma's FF 'L' mount mirrorless camera announcement is awaited.

We'll likely find out soon if Sigma is offering some 'L' mount L O N G telephotos lenses … and if they'll be compatible with the SL 601 and CL cameras. 

If Sigma also offer 1.4x and 2x extenders they might be compatible with existing SL lenses … and any Panasonic FF lenses 

Panasonic might also offer 'L' mount tele lenses in 2019 

dunk 

• Like 1

Man this roadmap is depressing. So I have to wait even longer for a 35mm (isn't that a classic focal point to have in any lens manufacturer's portfolio?) and then it basically waiting a year for some wider lenses.

The 16-35 is excellent. I have not been shooting my 35 Summilux ASPH much since buying it. When I need the wider aperture or smaller weight the M lens works well on the SL.

Nobody’s arm is being twisted to buy Sigma or Panasonic. If you’re worried about how L mount lenses match, which is a good point, nothing changes for you because of this alliance. It just means L mount users will have more choices, which is a good thing.

It's always good to have more choices.

What I personally read from the roadmap is that Leica will not produce any new lenses in 2019. I don't count the 35 and 50 because they initially belong to 2018. So the pipeline is empty for at least 15 month + whatever '2020' means (in the worst case additional 6-9 month).

Panasonic can at least present a prototype of the new S-cameras + adds a promise to deliver 10 lenses until 2020. They did not mention the f-stop of their zooms but will deliver another 1.4 50mm (which is already available from Leica)

No word from Leica that a SL2 is in the pipeline.

Anybody heard any concrete announcements from Sigma with regards to the L-mount alliance?

So actually this is a loud 'tam-tam'. Let's wait and see what happens. 

I hope that Leicas contribution to the alliance is not only to commercialize the L-mount and let the others do the work.

Edited by Ingo
  • Like 2

>>>>>

Kazuto Yamaki, CEO, SIGMA: “As cameras evolved into digital and mirrorless, requirements from users and systems introduced by each brands diversified. Currently, there are overwhelming choices for users, but in terms of extensibility and possibility, the system truly meets user’s needs is not yet available. SIGMA is joining this alliance to develop mirrorless cameras benefiting from a short flange back. As SIGMA strives to develop high performance, high quality and innovative products, this alliance will strengthen the level of completion and the extensibility of our camera system and provide greater user benefits. Leica is a magnificent company that has been contributing to photographic cultures for more than 100 years, and Panasonic is leading the industry by developing reliable technologies across various fields. Together with SIGMA’s unique, high performance and high quality products, the L-Mount will evolve as an extremely attractive system for users.”