Leica S3 announced @ photokina

LUF Admin

Advertisement (gone after registration)

17 hours ago, hoppyman said:

Matt, to continue that discussion, I would like to add some comment/opinion from here.

Why would a mirrorless S require an adapter? Do you mean if a new body was made more compact rather than continuing the current form? For me the ergonomics of the current body are excellent and it’s much more comfortable to use in extended sessions than the SL for example. I agree that a new lens range seems impractical/unlikely given the assumed proportion of Leicas market filled by the S.

My speculation is that an SL2 might be more likely than a smaller S body. For the bulk of my shooting, I find the large optical finder of the S superb, while the single AF point a limitation. I experimented with the optional screen too but effectively it’s the same focus recompose limitation and with the precise location of the crosshairs no longer indicated. For me the screens and Liveview in the S are not suffuIciently precise for MF  ( coming from M RF cameras)

regarding heat dispersal, I haven’t observed any issue with the SL in rapid sequences. I shoot much more with the S however. I don’t use the continuous mode but single shots perhaps 2 -3 seconds apart in groups of maybe 20 shots, say 1000 plus over 3 hours typically (dancing and the like)

cant comment on testing performance in corners or with lenses other than the 70 and 120. I do recall Peter Karbe some time ago saying that the  lenses could outresolve the next generation of sensors too.

Mirror will mean shorter flange distance of the Sensor design, unless Leica is stupid enough to follow Sigma's path of creating a mirror camera (SD Quattro/H) and kept the same flange distance and making the camera just as big as before without the benefit of the OVF ( Maybe that's the reason Sigma and Leica pair up now) Hahhaha.

So if it's mirror-less camera, the flange shorter, you will need a physical adaptor to increase the distance between your lens (The old Leica S lens with flange of 40something) to the theoretically new mirrorless S camera with shorter than 40 something flange.... thus adapting the older lens to the new body. Being mirrorless has some benefit though in terms of lens design, it will allow more light into the sensor... or so Nikon Z and Canon R has us believe in their marketing literature.

For me, the best new is the SL mount that is open to Sigma. The foveon sensor is the best color sensor I have ever used, and having a short flange really open it up to all sort of possibility and even adaptation of Leica lens.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Jon Warwick said:

+1 to the comment above on the Foveon sensor. Foveon’s image quality really stands out from Bayer filter sensors in terms of colour depth and “naturalness”, imho. When paired with SL Summicrons, it could hopefully be “the” benchmark for full frame in terms of image quality.

Can't wait!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

After the all weekend tests of the Fuji GFX50r , I realized that I want to keep my S2 and maybe I will upgrade to the new S3. I just love it’s optical viewfinder. 

And I have a question which has been bothering me for the last two years. Why does not Leica add an attachable electronic viewfinder on the top of the prism and allow to use us the moving focus points not only on the back screen in live view? They will need to modify the hot shoe and add a terminal to connect the EVF. Take out the EVF from an SL and price it in a Leica way. 

Just a thought. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ynp said:

And I have a question which has been bothering me for the last two years. Why does not Leica add an attachable electronic viewfinder on the top of the prism and allow to use us the moving focus points not only on the back screen in live view? They will need to modify the hot shoe and add a terminal to connect the EVF. Take out the EVF from an SL and price it in a Leica way. 

Just a thought. 

They could ask Hasselblad if they could borrow Hasselblad's "True Focus" :):):)

Happy Christmas mate..........remember to give me a shout when you are back in Phuket

Neil

Am 24.12.2018 um 16:21 schrieb ynp:

After the all weekend tests of the Fuji GFX50r , I realized that I want to keep my S2 and maybe I will upgrade to the new S3. I just love it’s optical viewfinder. 

Just a thought. 

I asked myself the exact same question. would make a lot of sense IMO.

• Like 1

On 12/24/2018 at 4:21 PM, ynp said:

Just a thought. 

31 minutes ago, tom0511 said:

I asked myself the exact same question. would make a lot of sense IMO.

+1. As for the M, starting with M240.

• Like 1

Another thought after handling the GFX50s: because we cannot expect an articulated lcd screen on the S3, let’s have a tilting EVF. It would be easier to  shoot landscapes from a low positioned tripod and do portrait work from the waist level. 

There is presently a perfect ... albeit a bit uncomfortable option for those not used to video cameras ...

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1163487-REG/zacuto_z_grx_gratical_x_micro_oled.html

You can position this at any angle you wish .... has magnification and peaking ... zebras and waveforms in realtime ...

No one will give you a better EVF on camera ...

I can understand what people might like to have there. I think that the Tru focus option Hasselblad implemented before they started with mirrorless would be great to have in a future S. Its all accelerometer based and nothing optical.
I don't know how long until the S3 is actually available , but no doubt the physical design is fixed. With a model longevity of maybe 3 years? in the market after the S3 is available I don't think anyone will get their EVF wish anytime soon. if at all.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, docmoore said:

There is presently a perfect ... albeit a bit uncomfortable option for those not used to video cameras ...

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1163487-REG/zacuto_z_grx_gratical_x_micro_oled.html

You can position this at any angle you wish .... has magnification and peaking ... zebras and waveforms in realtime ...

No one will give you a better EVF on camera ...

Hmmm.... somewhat monsterous, depending on the type of shooting, obviously. But interesting, nevertheless. Without checking the ports on the S, can it be used on S? Some of the ports on the S, as far as I recall, are of non-standsrd type - thus the question...

Three graticals exist ... only one is compatible ... it takes an HDMI input but is powered by a simple Canon battery. The other two ... which 

are newer smaller and would be a better choice only have a SDI input so unless you are running an external recorder to do the HDMI out from the S

to SDI loop to the other graticals they will not work. There are converters for HDMI to SDI but may be buggy and not worth the effort.