Leica S3 announced @ photokina

LUF Admin

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The point I was trying to make is that other companies offer very attractive deals to bring more new customers into the system. Fuji vs Leica vs something else is a personal choice. 

Why do you keep on with the drumbeat that you think other companies offer better deals?    The marketplace will decide the worth of Leica's S line. Leica will soon find out; consumers will make their choices. 

A Rolls Royce is absurdly expensive for most. Notwithstanding some choose to pay the price. Rolls Royce will sink or swim in the marketplace.

I suspect everyone following this forum is aware of your thoughts. 

• Like 1

I suspect everyone following this forum is aware of your thoughts. 

Which doesn't make my thoughts wrong. And I'm sure that lots of forum readers support them. Not sure if I can say the same about your thoughts.

And please, let's not compare Leica to RR, Ferrari etc. These cars have 2-year waiting list to get one. Can you say the same about Leica? 

Which doesn't make my thoughts wrong. And I'm sure that lots of forum readers support them. Not sure if I can say the same about your thoughts.

And please, let's not compare Leica to RR, Ferrari etc. These cars have 2-year waiting list to get one. Can you say the same about Leica? 

No, your thoughts may/may not be wrong, they are just repetitive.  (How many times do you want to make the same complaint?)

My thoughts?  The market place will decide on Leica's pricing strategy.   If the S3 is not for you, don't buy one, or, go with a preferable option. 

Edited by ropo54
  • Like 2

Anyone who got on an S3 wait list upon announcement will likely wait 8 months or more before availability, and I imagine some have been on a dealer list for a year or more already. Same for the next M, Monochrom, etc. Wait lists are common for Leica’s GAS crowd.

(I have ‘no dog in this fight’ otherwise.). :)

Jeff

• Like 1

The S3 will sell, I doubt Leica would be making it of they hadn't done their marketing research and reached the conclusion that its worth the effort, a lot of people out there have a collection of S glass, and many of these people can afford the new S, personally I'm hanging onto my 007 for the foreseeable future.

• Like 2

GAS is an anxiety disorder that needs to be alleviated instantly. Long waiting periods are not compatible with GAS symptoms. The disorder can be associated more with the Sony crowd that has been conditioned to lust after every iteration of the α7 -series and will probably soon be offered a chance to satisfy its craving with the α7R IV.

• Haha 3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

17 hours ago, RVB said:

The S3 will sell, I doubt Leica would be making it of they hadn't done their marketing research and reached the conclusion that its worth the effort, a lot of people out there have a collection of S glass, and many of these people can afford the new S, personally I'm hanging onto my 007 for the foreseeable future.

Agreed Rob, the S3 is a good thing for Leica, the S system as a whole and its users whether we can all afford an S3 or not.

Heck,  even the S007 you’re using is too expensive for me 🙂

So I’ll just keep shooting happily with my S2-P knowing that there will be a (long) upgrade path in the future.

Kind regards, Peter

• Like 3

10 hours ago, peterv said:

Agreed Rob, the S3 is a good thing for Leica, the S system as a whole and its users whether we can all afford an S3 or not.

Heck,  even the S007 you’re using is too expensive for me 🙂

So I’ll just keep shooting happily with my S2-P knowing that there will be a (long) upgrade path in the future.

Kind regards, Peter

The CCD S cameras have beautiful color, I wish I kept mine!!!

• Like 2

On 10/10/2018 at 1:11 AM, Chaemono said:

GAS is an anxiety disorder that needs to be alleviated instantly. Long waiting periods are not compatible with GAS symptoms. The disorder can be associated more with the Sony crowd that has been conditioned to lust after every iteration of the α7 -series and will probably soon be offered a chance to satisfy its craving with the α7R IV.

whats GAS

• 3 weeks later...

The GFX100S is now disclosed to have a $10K price point.

Competition may be tough for the S3 if it is not priced competitively.  The SL does OK at $6K, or 3x the price of an A73.  So maybe the S3 could be 3x the price of a GFX50R at $13,500 and still make sense. 

But if the S3 is priced >20K, I am pretty sure there will just be a market to convert the S lenses into rehoused cinema lenses or a market for a S to GF smart adapter.

On 10/28/2018 at 5:13 AM, AlanD said:

The GFX100S is now disclosed to have a $10K price point.

Competition may be tough for the S3 if it is not priced competitively.  The SL does OK at $6K, or 3x the price of an A73.  So maybe the S3 could be 3x the price of a GFX50R at $13,500 and still make sense. 

But if the S3 is priced >20K, I am pretty sure there will just be a market to convert the S lenses into rehoused cinema lenses or a market for a S to GF smart adapter.

With a presumed price point over 20K, the S3 only will attract a few S/S2 owners to upgrade who invested already a lot in S lenses. But hardly any new potential customer would spend that amount of money if a GFX100S for less then half with 100MP, IBIS, PDAF points all across the sensor (plus face/eye detection), GF lenses in S quality for +/- half price (soon 3 zoom lenses plus 250mm + extender ...) a.s.o. is available. Same situation for Hasselblad mirrorless and PhaseOne XF100. 

One of the things that appeals to me about Leica products is their simplicity for photography, the camera never gets in the way.  Fuji/Sony etc all have many buttons, Leica has a simple photographers interface - the only settings changed on my cameras are ISO, mirror lock-up and very occasionally self-timer.  What you say is probably true, but I have a significant collection of S equipment and have not been that impressed with the Sony 44 x 33 sensor, it is only 14 bit .....

john

• Like 2

Well I guess the question is what members here are willing to pay not broadly what people are willing to pay.

For all that is said about ergonomics and buttons, the S2/006 is probably better than the 007 with the hard coded shutter dial.

For ergonomics and artistry, the 007 as good as the S3, so you wouldn’t need to upgrade.  (Which is where the anti Fuji mention doesn’t make as much sense).

If it were $13K, I can see it selling well...

5 hours ago, John McMaster said:

One of the things that appeals to me about Leica products is their simplicity for photography, the camera never gets in the way.  Fuji/Sony etc all have many buttons, Leica has a simple photographers interface - the only settings changed on my cameras are ISO, mirror lock-up and very occasionally self-timer.  What you say is probably true, but I have a significant collection of S equipment and have not been that impressed with the Sony 44 x 33 sensor, it is only 14 bit .....

john

I agree 100% about the ease of use of the S007........it just works, but I cant see myself spending another 20 plus grand to get the same thing with a few more megapixels.

Neil