Leica S3 announced @ photokina

LUF Admin

Advertisement (gone after registration)

So Fujifilm announces a lower priced 50mpx @$4,500 and a yet to be released 100mpx @$10,000 with IBIS plus Capture One support today.  Leica counters with 64mpx @$24,000??????  Same basic body just new sensor, low R&D - makes no sense to me.

You forgot the difference in the lens prices too. By the way, Hassy has announced the release of 80mm f1.9 for X1D today too. 

You forgot the difference in the lens prices too. By the way, Hassy has announced the release of 80mm f1.9 for X1D today too. 

I have all the lenses I need for the S (note the word NEED) want and lust are also four letter words that like to feed off of the wallet.   :) For the price of the S3 body alone, I could buy the Fujifilm GFX100S, 50R + 23, 45, 63 and 110 or the Hasselblad kit + 80 f1.9 and still have change left to go out for a nice dinner. 

So Fujifilm announces a lower priced 50mpx @$4,500 and a yet to be released 100mpx @$10,000 with IBIS plus Capture One support today.  Leica counters with 64mpx @$24,000??????  Same basic body just new sensor, low R&D - makes no sense to me.

Importantly, the 100MP Fuji model is supposed to feature phase detection AF covering the entire sensor. This will be godsend in combination with the face recognition / automatic eye focus that already exists on the GFX50S (where it however works only in good light and does not track well, due to the contrast detection only AF system). Imagine using the new version with the 110/f2 fully open (and then compare the S007 experience with the S100/f2 - which is a beautiful lens but such a hit and miss focus proposition fully open - at least has been for me).

Capture One full support for Fuji GFX, including for tethering, is BIG news! Last but not least, the Elinchrom Sky plus trigger for Fuji has just hit stores, allowing HiSync at up to 1/8000s without major loss of flash power. Assuming this works as advertised (plan to test soon), and used with e.g the ELB1200 battery strobe, it may pretty much eliminate the need for CS lenses for me going forward.  Sorry to sound like a Fuji fanboy - I own and use an S007 with 7 lenses and may continue with that, but the very practical advances made elsewhere, at a significantly lower cost, are not easy to overlook. 

• Like 1

The ONLY issue I have with the S3 is that you can not get it until next spring .  

Currently use the S 006 and S 007 with all the lenses except the T/S .  Its as perfect a medium format kit as I have seen .   The only limitation I have encountered that has me wanting more ..has been the limitation to 37.5MP .  Otherwise the performance of the sensors has been brilliant .  

But when shooting landscape/seascape next to my ALPA/IQ 100 buddies ..its just not enough .   64MP is probably as far as they can go with the current sensor format .  That size is key to keeping the system to a reasonable size and weight .  

Yes I would like to have more responsive AF ...but for me ...medium format gear is about image quality first and foremost .  

• Like 2

The ONLY issue I have with the S3 is that you can not get it until next spring .

Seems 4 years is now the norm between new Leica models. The S007 was announced Sept. 2014, and finally shipped in August 2015. The good news was that (in the US) it was priced at $25,400 when announced, but ultimately shipped at $16,900 (then later raised). One can only hope the S3 ships at a similarly surprising ‘discount’. (The warranty was changed, however, to at least partially allow for the price reduction.)

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

I know this is a Leica thread full of Leica users (myself included with the S2, S006 and a bunch of lenses), and I could change my mind of course, but if the new S is priced above 20,000, there's no way I will get one. Leaving aside a proposed 100mp, in body-stabilized, 4K video shooting, GFX teased for next year, the Fuji GFX 50R is announced for November at 4500 dollars. They have very good technology in that camera, it has a better sensor shape (for me at least...I mostly crop to 4x5, and that means the 37.5mp S is 33mp), it is smaller, lighter, with great lenses as well, 60 minutes of long exposure instead of 2 (according to the new S3 specs posted). I would pay a premium for the S3, but a realistic premium is 25%-50% more, not six or seven times more. I chose not to buy the 007 because it did not offer enough added value to me over the 006, and that was already 4 years ago...even when it was 10,000 or 11,000 dollars it did not rise to the level where I thought it was worth buying compared to the 006...the image quality of the 007 is arguably worse at base ISO if you prefer CCD colors, which many do, myself included. If the price of entry is 20,000+, I fear that the game is over. I would likely buy it if it were 15,000...that is certainly a large premium over Fuji and Hasselblad, let alone Canon, Sony and Nikon. The updated resolution is great and so is the 4K full sensor, but this really should have been the camera in 2014, and then it would have justified the price and the upgrade. In 2019 it is just par for the course for MF at a high price. If they want to price like Phase One and Hasselblad's SLR's, then they should also compete in that realm: their own proprietary software packages, interchangeable backs to use on tech cams and studio setups, and 100-150mp backs with special filtering, multi-shot, integrated profoto transmitters, options for scientific and cultural heritage applications etc. There is a reason why those cameras cost even more than the S. The S is very well built, but the sensor specs have been underwhelming since 2013 or so. I also think this overenthusiastic pricing is why the second hand value of the S system is so terrible, and why most of us can count on one hand the number of S users we have ever seen outside gathering of Leica users.  

Edited by Stuart Richardson
  • Like 9

I think it's fair to say that the S system is not optimized for landscape photographers (other than the ones who shoot in the rain). That's OK, landscape photogs get a lot of love from PhaseOne, Hasselblad, and Fuji (not to mention Cambo and Alpa).

Other medium format systems aren't optimized for fast-paced portraits, and event work.

• Like 2

Very exciting indeed!

David Farkas will be doing updates from Photokina and will be interviewing many of the senior Leica personnel. 

He is a talented journalist and will hopefully provide technical insights regarding the S3.

His site is   https://www.reddotforum.com/

Albert   :D  :D  :D

this is a bad joke. Aparantly they kept the unreliable single AF point. I mean we have 2018, not 1978. It is a complete nonsense to make more pixels if this crappy AF-module remains the same :-(

I see a lot here, but Iceland is a popular destination and I run a printing service. I know several people with Phase Ones, many with Fuji's, and I am pretty sure that there is only one other person in the country who uses an S, and he is a lawyer. 

what's your gripe against lawyers? :)

• Like 1