LUF Admin

Leica S3 announced @ photokina

Leica S3 announced, information will follow later...

This notification brought to mind that fabled telegram:

"Start worrying.Stop.Details to follow."

David

Edited by Deliberate1

All Leica site says is:

'Leica S3

The excellence of the Leica S3 is the result of an extremely well-thought-out overall system. All of its individual components are precisely matched to one another and interact in perfect harmony to create the inimitable Leica look.

Developed in close collaboration with professional photographers, the Leica S3 expertly fulfils their particular needs with its exceptional picture quality and outstanding flexibility, paired with uncomplicated handling and extreme robustness

• Leica ProFormat sensor, with 64-megapixel resolution
  • High sensor sensitivity up to ISO 50000
  • Medium Format Cine 4K Video

Available as of Spring 2019'

john

I am waiting with bated breath to see if it will have LENR, and if not, I am in.

Robert

Edited by relms

All Leica site says is:

'Leica S3

The excellence of the Leica S3 is the result of an extremely well-thought-out overall system. All of its individual components are precisely matched to one another and interact in perfect harmony to create the inimitable Leica look.

Developed in close collaboration with professional photographers, the Leica S3 expertly fulfils their particular needs with its exceptional picture quality and outstanding flexibility, paired with uncomplicated handling and extreme robustness

• Leica ProFormat sensor, with 64-megapixel resolution
  • High sensor sensitivity up to ISO 50000
  • Medium Format Cine 4K Video

Available as of Spring 2019'

john

Quite a jump in ISO compared to S007 (max ISO 3200, with push to 6400). Will be interesting to see what this will mean for low-light photography.

Quite a jump in ISO compared to S007 (max ISO 3200, with push to 6400). Will be interesting to see what this will mean for low-light photography.

It will be more interesting to see if they improved the AF-quality, which is allready perfectible at 1600 ISO

It will be more interesting to see if they improved the AF-quality, which is allready perfectible at 1600 ISO

The 007 will go up to 12,500

The 007 will go up to 12,500

I assume you mean down, not up. The US list price is currently $19,995.

Edit... Sorry, I see you mean ISO

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

So Fujifilm announces a lower priced 50mpx @$4,500 and a yet to be released 100mpx @$10,000 with IBIS plus Capture One support today.  Leica counters with 64mpx @$24,000??????  Same basic body just new sensor, low R&D - makes no sense to me.

The 24,000 cited above is in Euros; the dollar equivalent is roughly $28k. But that’s not always how Leica pricing works. We’ll have to wait and see. But remember that even the S007 is already $20k list.

Jeff

I just bought a new S 007 for $8600 US. 

Whatever hesitation I had with the timing of this purchase on the cusp of the S3 announcement has just evaporated. 

Is the consensus that Leica will continue to market the 007, as it remains a touted product on the site. If so, what is the plan - two levels of S  - identical save for a $7000 differential for the 64mb sensor. Not sure I get the business strategy here, especially in light of competing Hasselbland and Fuji models that will supersede the S3 stats, like, maybe tomorrow, and at a fraction of the price.

David 

Edited by Deliberate1

Leica has a history, at least with the M series, of marketing both new and current models simultaneously, only to phase out the older version not long after. We’ll just have to wait and see regarding the S. The S3 won’t be here until next year anyway.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

This is unlike you, Jeff!

His post refers to ISO, not $.

Yep, sloppy reading on my part.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S