leicapages

Servicing R cameras: the end of the story for R8 and R9

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 hours ago, wlaidlaw said:

..... I really only buy ROM lenses. 

Wilson

...with the notable exception of the non-ROM 280 APO Telyt?

32 minutes ago, james.liam said:

...with the notable exception of the non-ROM 280 APO Telyt?

No I don't have the 280 APO. My only exceptions are the MR 500mm Telyt-R, which has fixed aperture of f8, so no ROM necessary and my 80mm Hartblei Super-Rotator tilt-shift lens, where no ROM or lever coupling is available. 

Wilson

16 hours ago, wlaidlaw said:

Leica did not actually run out of spare parts, they sold them all off. Leicaflex and R3-R7 to Paepke, who at least are using them to provide service for Leica Reflex owners. Sadly the R8 and R9 parts were all sold off to Photo-Arsenal who are neither selling them on at present or providing service. It might have been nice if Leica had offered them for sale only to companies who would give an undertaking to provide a parts service for R owners. That would have been the responsible thing to do for owners who have often shown great loyalty to Leica over the years and recently seem to be getting precious little in the way of reciprocation. I really cannot understand why these parts were not sold to the LHSA or to one of the service gurus like Don Goldberg. Perhaps a combination would have been the answer, where the LHSA members provided the purchase funds and the parts sales service was then contracted out to Don on a commission basis but it's too late anyway now. 

Wilson

Ok, that sucks.  I knew they got rid of their parts, but I did not know what volume they were talking about.  Thanks for the update.

Problem is that the electronics are so complex and 20+ years old. It's really not worth the repair.

Buying a near-mint R8 will cost US500 or less, cheaper than having anyone muck with it. I'm sure there's someone out there collecting defunct R8/9 for the easily replaceable parts.

On 6/11/2019 at 9:53 AM, wlaidlaw said:

Leica did not actually run out of spare parts, they sold them all off. Leicaflex and R3-R7 to Paepke, who at least are using them to provide service for Leica Reflex owners. Sadly the R8 and R9 parts were all sold off to Photo-Arsenal who are neither selling them on at present or providing service. It might have been nice if Leica had offered them for sale only to companies who would give an undertaking to provide a parts service for R owners. That would have been the responsible thing to do for owners who have often shown great loyalty to Leica over the years and recently seem to be getting precious little in the way of reciprocation. I really cannot understand why these parts were not sold to the LHSA or to one of the service gurus like Don Goldberg. Perhaps a combination would have been the answer, where the LHSA members provided the purchase funds and the parts sales service was then contracted out to Don on a commission basis but it's too late anyway now. 

Wilson

I am still surprised that Leica sold the parts off to Arsenal, a company that I only do business with with the utmost wariness. I guess that Leica assumed that the parts would be used in the repair circuit, but didn't take a spoon that was long enough to the negotiations.