Jump to content
leicapages

Servicing R cameras: the end of the story for R8 and R9

Recommended Posts

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I stumbled on this article by chance: https://www.photoscala.de/2018/07/14/r-schatten-der-m/

 

Apparently Leica has stopped servicing all R cameras and shifted that burden to the specialist Paepke Fototechnik in Düsseldorf.

 

While sufficient spare parts are said to be available for R3 to R7 models, there would be none left for the R8 and R9 since the start of this year. Repairing these latter cameras would thus no longer be possible!

 

Those two cameras, notwithstanding the fact that they were the latest R models, have thus effectively been reduced to paperweights in case of malfunctioning.

 

Sad day.

 

Is that really a fact?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, it is true (discussed in german part of LUF) --- and it is really not good. This does not mean that every R8 / R9 in the case of a defect is necessarily a total loss, because it can also be a part responsible for the problem, that is not specific R8 / R9. In any case, Leica does not want to care for any R camera anymore.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have an R6.2 for the reason cited above. Did have a small problem and DAG fixed it in the US, price was more than fair and the turnaround was quick. Suggest you email him if you need the R8 or 9 fixed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I stumbled on this article by chance: https://www.photoscala.de/2018/07/14/r-schatten-der-m/

 

Apparently Leica has stopped servicing all R cameras and shifted that burden to the specialist Paepke Fototechnik in Düsseldorf.

 

While sufficient spare parts are said to be available for R3 to R7 models, there would be none left for the R8 and R9 since the start of this year. Repairing these latter cameras would thus no longer be possible!

 

Those two cameras, notwithstanding the fact that they were the latest R models, have thus effectively been reduced to paperweights in case of malfunctioning.

 

Sad day.

 

Is that really a fact?

 

My original R3 developed a shutter fault. Leica didn't want to know and said it would not be repairable, even if I found a donor camera for spares. Basically they weren't interested. So I'm surprised they claim to be able to repair R3-R7 models.

 

I guess whether or not any R can be repaired depend on parts (but independent repairers will use donor cameras) and more on the economics.

 

I would have paid over the value of my R3 to keep it going if I could. I bought another (working) body instead for much less than the starting price of a basic CLA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My original R3 developed a shutter fault. Leica didn't want to know and said it would not be repairable, even if I found a donor camera for spares. Basically they weren't interested. So I'm surprised they claim to be able to repair R3-R7 models.

 

I guess whether or not any R can be repaired depend on parts (but independent repairers will use donor cameras) and more on the economics.

 

I would have paid over the value of my R3 to keep it going if I could. I bought another (working) body instead for much less than the starting price of a basic CLA.

Leica does not wish to have anything to do anymore with its (loyal) R users. Instead it has transferred all servicing tasks to Paepke. The reference to availability of spare parts was made by the latter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Advertisement (gone after registration)

That's sad.  It was six years ago when the dial to turn off/on and select modes for my R9 such as M, A, T, P, F, didn't lock, the dial broke and only spun.  Without being able to select any of those modes; the camera was pretty useless.  Luckily at that time I was able to send it to Leica New Jersey to get it fixed.  If that, or anything else goes wrong with my R9, I'll be you know what out of luck!  

I had always had a confidence with the R9 knowing that if anything went wrong; it could be repairable so reading this was a bit of a shock.  In further thinking, I think there are some people around the country who know how to fix R cameras.  Possibly with an extra body; someone might be able to keep mine going. 

Either that or might have to re-think the body I'm using.  I still want to shoot film, so I might end up having to get a M7, but I'd have to at least get a couple of lenses too.  

  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/2/2018 at 8:28 PM, sblitz said:

I have an R6.2 for the reason cited above. Did have a small problem and DAG fixed it in the US, price was more than fair and the turnaround was quick. Suggest you email him if you need the R8 or 9 fixed

Service and repairability were the reasons I sold my R8, kept my Leicaflex SL, and just purchased an R6.2. Unless major and non-replaceable parts get worn out (unlikely with the amount that I'm going to be shooting film at this point in time) or just flat break, most of what these cameras need is a very occasional cleaning and mechanical adjustment to keep working, barring the light meter which is non-essential. That can be done at any decent repair shop (fewer with the Leicaflex SL), same as for my M4-2. 

I loved the R8 body, it is an outstanding performer, but it was always a very electronically fussy beast and often needed a bit of TLC to wake up properly. I knew that at some point, something was going to fail given the time of its manufacture and the state of camera electronics at that time. I didn't pay that much for it nor sold it for that much, but I just couldn't bear to see it become a paperweight in my possession. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/4/2018 at 6:33 PM, leicapages said:

Leica does not wish to have anything to do anymore with its (loyal) R users. Instead it has transferred all servicing tasks to Paepke. The reference to availability of spare parts was made by the latter.

Leica transferred all the R spare parts, and, alas, their service pricing policy to Paepke ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/15/2018 at 3:41 PM, ramarren said:

Service and repairability were the reasons I sold my R8, kept my Leicaflex SL, and just purchased an R6.2. Unless major and non-replaceable parts get worn out (unlikely with the amount that I'm going to be shooting film at this point in time) or just flat break, most of what these cameras need is a very occasional cleaning and mechanical adjustment to keep working, barring the light meter which is non-essential. That can be done at any decent repair shop (fewer with the Leicaflex SL), same as for my M4-2. 

I loved the R8 body, it is an outstanding performer, but it was always a very electronically fussy beast and often needed a bit of TLC to wake up properly. I knew that at some point, something was going to fail given the time of its manufacture and the state of camera electronics at that time. I didn't pay that much for it nor sold it for that much, but I just couldn't bear to see it become a paperweight in my possession. 

I think you'll find that the shutter on the R6.2 is effectively a 'sealed unit' i.e. if it gives up, that will be the end of it's life (I'm assuming that replacement shutters aren't available now, but who knows!). The SL is different, being a mechanical cloth blind shutter like in a film M.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, earleygallery said:

I think you'll find that the shutter on the R6.2 is effectively a 'sealed unit' i.e. if it gives up, that will be the end of it's life (I'm assuming that replacement shutters aren't available now, but who knows!). The SL is different, being a mechanical cloth blind shutter like in a film M.

Many things can brick the camera forever, I'm sure. Why bring them up?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/16/2018 at 4:11 PM, ramarren said:

Many things can brick the camera forever, I'm sure. Why bring them up?

Because most if not all R cameras were serviceable till very recently...well except now for the R8 and R9.  So of course I can fully understand the concern as cameras do wear down and or break now and then so it becomes more of a issue now then it used to.      

Edited by thebarnman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hear ya, and in the days when I shot 1500 rolls of film a year, having available service was extremely important. 

But shooting with R cameras, any film cameras really, is something I do for the occasional pleasure of it now. I take my cameras out and exercise their shutters every so often, but the notion that I'm ever going to wear out a good condition R6.2 from this point in time forwards is very unlikely. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/17/2018 at 12:11 AM, ramarren said:

Many things can brick the camera forever, I'm sure. Why bring them up?

Why so defensive? I was just pointing out that not all mechanical cameras are fully serviceable or repairable, and the thread is about repairing R cameras.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In my view, nothing mechanical is ever truly "sealed" to a motivated technician and machinist. Whether sensible or not, nearly anything mechanical can be repaired, even if it doesn't make sense to do so economically. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well yes if money is no object. You could just build a factory and make lots of new R cameras. I’m sure Leica would sell the blueprints.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since Leica discontinued with the R system,  I no longer buy anything Leica, however once silly me bought the M240, but got rid off that piece of junk.

Still have two working R7's and the Magnificent R8 however my R9 is stuffed,  I only have 4 rolls of slide film left, so thats it for me with film.

For my Digital needs I have now gone to FUJI owning the XT-1 and 2 XT-2's just love them.

I have used the LEICA R  since 1972 and simply loved the system, but now I have lost faith in this company.

Regards  

Hamey

Edited by hamey

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, hamey said:

Since Leica discontinued with the R system,  ...., but now I have lost faith in this company.

Regards  

Hamey

Same for me, despite I have bought Leica TL and visoflex...

Fernando.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...