Leitz 73mm f/1.9

d30gaijin

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello, I own a 1930 vintage Leitz/Leica 73mm f/1.9 lens. It came to me as a beauty. I have used it off and on over the past couple years on a Ricoh M crop camera. I recently bought a full frame Leica M262. I want to use this beautiful vintage Leitz lens on my M262 but i do not have a suitable lens shade for it. They appear to be more difficult to find than the original lens, and ridiculously priced. I am a user, not a collector. I want to explore this fabulous vintage lens but it is subject to extreme flare in most light. Point it towards any bright light source minus a lens sahde and it will flare.

I do not care about originality. I want to use this lens. Can anyone suggest a suitable lens shade I can buy or how to make one?

Thank you,

Don

Boise, Idaho

The outside diameter of the front most surface of the lens is  43mm.  The only slip-on hood from Leitz seems to be the original brass hood.  I would expect other third party suppliers might make a slip-on hood of this diameter, especially if rubber and somewhat flexible.

The internal thread of the 73 Hektor, that was used for rare screw-in filters, measures 39mm by .5mm pitch (very fine). Post war E39 filters work perfectly. The closest Leitz screw-in hood I can find is the 90/4.0 C number 11250 which was made for this CL camera lens.  It is 39mm by .75mm.  Not correct, but it will screw in about one full turn and feels very solid.  See photo:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

You might look for a correct thread hood from a third party.  But a rubber slip-over hood would allow you to use E39 filters

• Like 2

Sorry for a crude exhibition… :rolleyes: I love this oldie...

• Like 6

Advertisement (gone after registration)

More exibition, staying with Hektors of the 30's.  The 50 Hektor, 11 o'clock on a model D with deerskin case, a very early 135 Hektor, 172078, with a slightly smaller grey purse that will not accept a camera, and it too long for the 73 or 90.  And finally, the two versions of 73, Hekon and Hegra. Both cases have the "Leitz" stamp on the inside.  

• Like 7

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
On 8/17/2020 at 9:32 AM, Petelindstrom said:

Hi. Did you ever find a solution for your 73mm Hektor? I find I need one as well. Thanks!

No I never did.  I kind of let it slip by the wayside i.e., I didn't do what I said I was going to do, and now that's a shame because my local camera store closed its doors after 70 years of operation. I do intend to continue to pursue finding a shade to fit.  I'll post here if I have any luck.

Don 

Yes, more exhibition here but we trust in the formula of the forum  "Collector & Historica"

• Like 4

Lovely pictures of old Hektor lenses and cameras, gentlemen. Back to old filter sizes for a moment ... perhaps I misunderstood Alan. Did any other Leica lenses use the same (as on the 73mm Hektor lens) 39mm x 0.5mm fine thread on the inner barrel for filters? Or is that the same thread (size and pitch) as postwar E39 filters?

What filter size does the postwar 200mm Telyt lens use?

Black and chrome III with MOOLY, Hektor 7.3cm , hood and the very rare SAIOO finder with case. I got the SAIOO as part of a job lot and certainly did not pay the $700-$800 some people are looking for the finder on eBay these days. I have to go through my collection later today looking for other items and will try some other hoods on it. I don't think that I would have a filter big enough to go on this. I have filters, but only as collector's items. I never use a filter on any lens of any vintage unless it is stuck on the lens.

William

it is a slip on anyway

JC has shown the correct filter there. I have had a look in my accessory boxesI have tried the slip on filters for the Summarit and they will fit (with, perhaps, a tiny bit of Blu Tack for absolute security). This also means that a XOONS hood for the Summarit can be used on top.

Its not a great solution and some of these items are rare and expensive themselves. The XOONS would also screw onto the top of the Hektor without the filter, but you would not want to mark the top of the Hektor with a screw that is too tight.

As suggested by Alan I have tried the rubber screw in hood for 90mm Elmar C and it fits, but the little Ser 5.5 Haze slip in filter, that fits snugly inside the rubber hoods for the 40mm and 90mm Elmar Cs for the CL, does not fit snugly inside the hood when it is on the Hektor and it is very loose. Not to be recommended.

That is about as much as I could find in my accessory box.

William

20 hours ago, jc_braconi said:

it is a slip on anyway

Thank you for showing us the slip-on filter for the 73mm Hektor. Similar to the earliest slip-on filters for the Elmar 5cm, just larger. I imagine the wide side of that filter is about 42mm diameter on the inside?

Something to look for in old Leica assortments 🙂.