Leica M10 vs M240 Battery Life

Bobby

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm interested about buying a digital Leica. I like the M10, apart from the price :), but it seems to me that the 240 has a far superior battery life. 

In terms of IQ I think the 240 is more than I need. What's the battery life of the M10 like, as compared to the 240?

The 240 battery life is noticeably better but I've yet to find myself short of battery on the M10. It still has way more than other mirrorless cameras. I would never need a second battery for my M10 but maybe that's because I pair mine with the Q and don't use liveview. 

The M10 does have noticeably better shadow and highlight recovery and better noise handling in low light. Funny I do sometimes miss the files from my 240 but can't put my finger on why. I wonder if the higher dynamic range comes at a price of reduced tonal gradation (if that's the right word?). The M10 colours are definitely nicer than the 240 straight out of camera though.

yes, but with a such short battery life of the M10 I'm not sure. I sold my Sony a7r II for the same reason. 

There are ways to use the M10 to use less battery. Perhaps we should direct the thread in that direction.

Edited by pico

yes, but with a such short battery life of the M10 I'm not sure. I sold my Sony a7r II for the same reason.

Coming from an A7r2, A73 and A7r3 background I can tell you the M10 is not as bad as the A7r2. There is no AF that has to be powered and if you mostly shoot with the rangefinder and don’t use live view the battery life is pretty nice. I made a tour through Barcelona from 1pm to 9pm and changed my battery at 7pm and I was shooting the whole time.

Edited by SMAL
  • Like 1

Coming from an A7r2, A73 and A7r3 background I can tell you the M10 is not as bad as the A7r2. There is no AF that has to be powered and if you mostly shoot with the rangefinder and don’t use live view the battery life is pretty nice. I made a tour through Barcelona from 1pm to 9pm and changed my battery at 7pm and I was shooting the whole time.

That's good to know. I have an A7r III now. I'm afraid 8 hrs is not enough. I'd rather got for an M240 then. I'm sure the M10 is better, but I hate the idea of dealing with batteries, which is why I own an M3 as well. 

Edited by Bobby

I have three batteries for my M10 and feel like I could easily shoot all day with it. I don’t know where these ominous 300 clicks come from, but I also disabled the review feature and this helps a lot. The dynamic range and noise handling of the M10 is way superior compared to the M240. Coming from an A73 you could maybe be a little disappointed with the M240. Maybe download some raw files of both and play with them before deciding.

I have three batteries for my M10 and feel like I could easily shoot all day with it. I don’t know where these ominous 300 clicks come from, but I also disabled the review feature and this helps a lot. The dynamic range and noise handling of the M10 is way superior compared to the M240. Coming from an A73 you could maybe be a little disappointed with the M240. Maybe download some raw files of both and play with them before deciding.

hi SMAL,

do you have any idea how many photographs you can get with EVF and no wifi?  Dynamic range is not so much of an issue where I live, as it is always overcast :)

Edited by Bobby

Shadow recovery is decent in M10. Highlights, not so much. Dynamic range overall is meh compared to Sony or Nikon. I don't know that it's actually any different from the M240 sensor other than the default interpretation out of camera that Leica has applied is different. In M240 you get less from the shadows but more from the highlights so....

The battery in the M10 is really not an issue - it is a good bit better than with the A7RII, which I also own. Assuming you don't use Liveview, which, if you were to rely on that I don't know why you would be buying any Leica at all. 

I don't like the M240 because I don't like how it feels in the hand, I am one of those people where the thickness made a difference, funny as that seems. 

hi SMAL,

do you have any idea how many photographs you can get with EVF and no wifi?  Dynamic range is not so much of an issue where I live, as it is always overcast :)

In my experience 150-300 depending on use and diligence. Turning the camera off or using the minimum go to sleep settings helps. Enabling and disabling LV between shot groupings helps as well.  With constant EVF use, a second battery is pretty close to mandatory in my view. I have a 240 as well, which is far better in this regard. I have a spare battery, but when the 240 was my primary camera it was rare that it every was used. 

That said, if you do like to rely on EVF, while the M10 is by no means state of the art, the M240 EVF is, in this day and age, quite crude by comparison.  Forgetting about resolution, artifacts and noise levels, the black out times are quite significant.  After a year with the M10, I find the 240 to perfectly fine as a pure RF, but near intolerable when using the EVF.  YMMV, of course.   

With Visoflex 020, sometimes, M10 can take only 100 "frames" with one battery !

But when the M10 is hot, just turn it off for cooling = more battery life then.

If you are using the Visoflex you are unlikely to be shooting rapidly. Just turn the camera off immediately after taking the shot and the battery life penalty is small - the M10 works nicely this way, because it "remembers" that you should still be in live-view mode when you next turn it on. Shooting this way I get a tolerable 250-350 shots per battery. I use this mainly for landscapes with wide-angle lenses.

Shooting more normally with the OVF I find that I need to carry three M10 batteries where I was previously carrying two for the M262. Changing batteries is not a problem, but keeping them charged is.