Summilux 50mm Pre-A vs ASPH Size Difference?

Rus

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Can anyone who owns both the Pre-A and the ASPH Summilux 50mm F.1.4 perhaps post a photo showing a side-by-side size comparison of the two lenses?

I've been having some hard time trying to figure out how the two compare in terms of size. Haven't found any photo online that directly shows this :blink:

Thanks a lot!  :D

Edited by Rus

50/2 v4, 50/1.4 v3 & 50/1.4 asph:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

50/2 v4, 50/1.4 v3 & 50/1.4 asph:

DSC01308-afterweb.jpg

This is really helpful, thanks a lot!

Having owned the two lenses at different times I’ve always had the impression that the ASPH is slightly slenderer than the pre-A. I guess my impression is wrong :p

Edited by Rus

I’ve always had the impression that the ASPH is slightly slenderer than the pre-A

Optical illusion - as lct's picture shows, the ASPH is longer, and thus the proportions look slenderer, while the pre-ASPH looks "stubbier."

Actually, the pre-pre-ASPH (1961-1991) is the slenderest-looking of all, since it has no hood, and thus tapers a bit more to the front rim. E43 filters instead of E46.

Same optics as the last version with lens hood. Only focuses to 1 meter, though.

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-wiki.en/index.php/50mm_f/1.4_Summilux-M_II

AND - there is a commemorative version of the ASPH for the LHSA (Leica Historical Society of America), which mounts the ASPH glass in a "look-alike" barrel similar to the black pre-pre-ASPH.

AND - there was an LHSA version of the pre-ASPH as well - black paint, red engraving, but same size/shape/shade as the regular pre-ASPH.

Edited by adan
  • Like 1

50 Rigid Summicron, 1989(ish) Summilux 'pre-pre-ASPH', Summilux 50 Black Chrome.  246g, 280g and 384g respectively.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1