LIM Thumb Grip for CL

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I just received the very nice Korean-made LIM Thumb Grip for the CL, which appears to look identical to the Leica-branded CL Thumb Grip, and, is priced ⅓ less.  Good enough for me.  Color perfectly matches the CL, fit is excellent, and gives some added thumb support to hold the CL with more stability. Highly recommended.

• Like 1

I just received the very nice Korean-made LIM Thumb Grip for the CL, which appears to look identical to the Leica-branded CL Thumb Grip, and, is priced ⅓ less.  Good enough for me.  Color perfectly matches the CL, fit is excellent, and gives some added thumb support to hold the CL with more stability. Highly recommended.

+1. An excellent product! The LIM half-case with Arca-Swiss plate, and access to the battery/card, is also highly recommended.

I wish I could find one that would fit over my case - maybe 1/8 or 1/4 inch longer on the mount into the flash connector. 

44830124101_b25fef0177_z.jpg43919309295_8b03d287d3_z.jpg

I just returned my Pelle case for that exact reason... the Thumbs Up would not fit flush in the hot shoe.

The Leica half case is open... and will allow the TU to fit properly. I just bought a CL /18-56 Kit with a bunch of extras, including the Leica case. I will try that out.

The Arte Di Mano is open back as well... and I thought about that one. Pricey though.

The Luigi Case doesn't look like it comes as high up on the back... that might work too.

Edited by Donzo98
  • Like 1

I've been using the Jason Cui case that I bought via Ebay for $52 on this trip. It's shorter than the Leica Protector and fits the camera well, is similar in thickness and has a nice feel. On the body, it's a bit shorter and the trap door on the bottom allows both easy access to the battery/card compartment and a tripod thread for occasional tripod use. Here's a few photos of it fitted to the CL:

Front:

43032844280_a9939503e3_h.jpg

Back:

43032844700_66b0d0f6f4_h.jpg

Bottom:

44843933771_dcbd97af90_h.jpg

44843933381_f37d9e360f_h.jpg

Edited by ramarren
  • Like 1

I've been using the Jason Cui case that I bought via Ebay for $52 on this trip. It's shorter than the Leica Protector and fits the camera well, is similar in thickness and has a nice feel. On the body, it's a bit shorter and the trap door on the bottom allows both easy access to the battery/card compartment and a tripod thread for occasional tripod use. Here's a few photos of it fitted to the CL:

Front:

43032844280_a9939503e3_h.jpg

Back:

43032844700_66b0d0f6f4_h.jpg

Bottom:

44843933771_dcbd97af90_h.jpg

44843933381_f37d9e360f_h.jpg

Saw that one...

Only thing I didn't like was that it only came 3/4 up the way of the body. I wanted protection all the way the sides.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Saw that one...

Only thing I didn't like was that it only came 3/4 up the way of the body. I wanted protection all the way the sides.

All I can say is that now, 4000+ exposures later and four-five weeks on of being bashed around and stuffed in and out of my bag countless times on this trip, there's not a mark on the CL body. I like this case quite a lot, and it's much more convenient than the Leica Protector for the CL (which I also have). :)

All I can say is that now, 4000+ exposures later and four-five weeks on of being bashed around and stuffed in and out of my bag countless times on this trip, there's not a mark on the CL body. I like this case quite a lot, and it's much more convenient than the Leica Protector for the CL (which I also have). :)

Why is it more convenient??

The bottom opens on that as well... seems the same to me.

The Leica Protector bottom flap opens in the opposite direction compared to the camera battery door, and is much longer, it's a bit funky to hold the case door open and work getting a battery in and out, or getting a card in and out. It also covers the screw that retains the case completely, which screw needs a coin to snug and un-snug it properly and has no tripod screw thread in it ... which means you can't have the case on and fit the camera to a tripod unless you are using a mount adapter and fit the tripod foot onto the mount adapter (presuming it has that option). When you do that, the flap on the case often is blocked if the camera is on a copy stand or tripod anyway because of its length and how it and the camera door open in opposite directions.

The Jason case access door is shorter and opens/closes in the same arc as the camera battery door. It's securing bolt is tapped for a tripod screw or adapter plate screw. So, even with the camera in a case, I can fit it to a tripod and because the door is short and opens the same way as the camera battery door, I can usually change the card or the battery without taking the camera off the tripod and disturbing my setup.

That's why the Jason case is much more convenient than the Leica Protector.

The Leica Protector bottom flap opens in the opposite direction compared to the camera battery door, and is much longer, it's a bit funky to hold the case door open and work getting a battery in and out, or getting a card in and out. It also covers the screw that retains the case completely, which screw needs a coin to snug and un-snug it properly and has no tripod screw thread in it ... which means you can't have the case on and fit the camera to a tripod unless you are using a mount adapter and fit the tripod foot onto the mount adapter (presuming it has that option). When you do that, the flap on the case often is blocked if the camera is on a copy stand or tripod anyway because of its length and how it and the camera door open in opposite directions.

The Jason case access door is shorter and opens/closes in the same arc as the camera battery door. It's securing bolt is tapped for a tripod screw or adapter plate screw. So, even with the camera in a case, I can fit it to a tripod and because the door is short and opens the same way as the camera battery door, I can usually change the card or the battery without taking the camera off the tripod and disturbing my setup.

Ah... I get it.

That won't be an issue for me. The CL will never be on a tripod. If I was going to tripod mount it, I would have bought the Lim case... to use my RRS stuff.

For any serious tripod stuff... the SL comes out :)

I have the Leica-branded half case, black lather, for my CL, and really like how it extends to the top of the camera case for more overall protection.  However, if one cares, it does hide the red Leica emblem on the CL's front.

Ah... I get it.

That won't be an issue for me. The CL will never be on a tripod. If I was going to tripod mount it, I would have bought the Lim case... to use my RRS stuff.

For any serious tripod stuff... the SL comes out :)

The CL, with its smaller format, is a better choice for some of my copy/macro and longer tele work than the SL. To the extent that I sold the SL. And for the other photo subjects I tend to prefer the M-D. So my CL gets used on a tripod and on a copy stand rather frequently... that said, I don't want the additional bulk of a camera adapter on it all the time either.

This is why it is a plus that there are many choices available.