No Q2 at least for now, says Leica Rumors

bags27

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The Leica reps I've talked with have said 2 things:

1. The Q is a gateway drug to other Leicas

Either that or the end of the road for a lot of people. Because the Q is all they will need for their photography hobby. The Q is the perfect Leica camera for all those who want the best of most worlds in one product (excellent Leica lens, fast, shaped like an M, chance to experience a rangefinder, good price, full frame).

I’m not far to think there will never be a Q2. I believe the Q’s success is beyond Leica’s expectations and it cannibalizes M and lenses sales, it’s probably a significant hit in their revenues. This could be worse with a 40MP+ Q2 where people could crop and feel even less the need for a secondary camera with lenses.

I think the Q will be discontinued and the M will get hybrid viewfinder and AF.

I use my Q in manual focus mode 99+ percent of the time so loss of autofocus would not be an issue.

It's a waste of the main features of the Q but I can certainly see the attraction. :)

Exactly: no Q2 for now.

What a disappointment Photokina is.

I'm actually quite glad that Leica have not fallen for the "numbers' game" when it comes to the Q. The camera is selling really well and is as near to perfect as possible. Why change it?

• Like 5

It's an aside but I used to own an M6. Before I bought my Q I tried out a friend's cameras - he had the Q and the M10. The Q is MUCH more like the old M6 in terms of feel and use. It just slipped into my hand and I was using it almost without thinking. So I bought it. If I ever wanted another camera (I don't think I will) and I was about to drop in excess of 10k, (which I'm not) I'd probably go digital medium format with the Hassleblad X1D.

• Like 2

Maybe we’ll see an incremental update in the firm of say a QP...with weather sealing, no red dot, Leica script on the top plate, tweaked Maestro processor, and perhaps some other minor improvements. I doubt that Leica will release a 50mm version as the lens would be too large. Pure conjecture on my part though.

I’m more than happy with 28mm, hope they don’t change that, and now shoot mostly with 28mm on my M10 as well.

It's an aside but I used to own an M6. Before I bought my Q I tried out a friend's cameras - he had the Q and the M10. The Q is MUCH more like the old M6 in terms of feel and use. It just slipped into my hand and I was using it almost without thinking. So I bought it. If I ever wanted another camera (I don't think I will) and I was about to drop in excess of 10k, (which I'm not) I'd probably go digital medium format with the Hassleblad X1D.

I feel exactly the same. X1D is still on top of my wishlist even after everything that was announced yesterday (even more so after Hasselblad announced new fast lenses for X1D).

But I'm also completely happy with the Q, and don't think I'll spend over 10K to make this type of move any time soon. Other current Leica offerings don't interest me at all (L lenses seem way to big/heavy).

I doubt I'll ever buy a MF camera--though also tempted. Because really, the SL with either its amazing zooms or fantastic primes gives virtually MF images. And if/when the SL gets an upgraded sensor, I think it will be essentially a MF camera. After all, it's not just the size of the sensor, but the computational work that goes on inside the camera. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I've had a Q since launch day, June 2015 I seem to recall, went into my store, picked it up and bought it. I had an M9 at the time, swapped it out for an MM1 and now have an M10. 

The Q is just a perfect camera. The other day I did a panorama print cropped from the Q onto paper 330mm x 990mm. Super quality. It's tough, I rolled over it on a quad bike once, worked fine after I cleaned it up, fantastically fast, great software as well. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. There is no need for an update, a big brother, a Q2, whatever. 

The Q hasn't stopped me doing M photography and I'm not inclined to start again with L-mount for the sake of auto-focus with one system and what is likely to be a bulky system at that. I get razor sharpness at 360mm with 180 Telyt-R and APO 2x extender on the M10 and it's lightweight. The 28mm Summaron is one of life's very little pleasures. The idea of those big L lenses, not for me. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

No new Q yet. Really Leica? I love my Q, but really would have preferred a 35mm or 50mm version by now. Or even a monochrome version. That’s about the only thing new they could come out with now that would grab my interest. The new S, probably a non starter due to price. A monochrome version of the Q, that would be oh so lovely. Will keep wishing.

• Like 1

I wanted an everyday camera with a reliable autofocus to use instead of my m9 or alongside it. I borrowed the Q from a friend and spend 14 days with it. Agree with everything people write about the camera. It’s fast and the lens is beautiful. By the end of my two weeks with the Q I noticed that I crop the images to 35-40 mm field of view in 80 percent of keepers. I wanted the Q, but I view the world through the 35 mm lens. The experience with the Q reassured me to get back to my X-U , l owned it already , and was happy with the quality of the images. I plan the output to the WEB use and occasional A3 prints. 16 megapixels is enough for that kind of use.

If Leica introduces the Q2-35mm. I will buy it.

Yevgeny

I went into Nikon today in London and handled a ZF. I don't believe either a Q or an SL needs to be modified to compete - the ZF is obviously aimed squarely at Sony. It's very nicely made but not in the same class as a Leica. Much less attractive in the hand than a Q, surprisingly light, much smaller than an SL. This small size may be an advantage to some but  too small with too many knobs and buttons for me . By comparison a  Q or an SL has very few controls and a simple interface. Whatever provokes Leica to produce a Q2 it won't be Nikon in this form.

Maybe I would think about replacing my SL if Nikon grew the ZF a bit so it fits my hands and added a second card slot. Also take some of those buttons off. Hang on a minute, that's an SL.  Maybe I will replace my Q with Q2 if Leica come up with some extraordinarily pressing reason for me to do so, but that won't be by simply expanding pixel count or adding buttons. A second card slot? A 50 or 75mm lens? 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 9/26/2018 at 1:35 AM, FredericB said:

Exactly: no Q2 for now.

What a disappointment Photokina is.

- 2 new body-colours (who cares?)

- new S3 (not my cup of tea)

- an app (let's see)

The app is great TBH.

It as smooth and responsive as Apple's native app, which I have NEVER seen on other apps especially photography related ones.

• Like 1

One feature that I would be very intrested, is in-camera pixel shift. Most of the competition already does it.. I don't see it as something unreal to be included in the new camera. Currently to achieve the same effect with my Q takes me 2-3 hours of editing, and I imagine it will be even longer with the larger files of the Q2.

On ‎2018‎-‎09‎-‎26 at 2:55 AM, Viv said:

The Q does the job for me.

But I would like to have the M10 IN ADDITION.

Maybe next year.

I agree about the Q being a fantastic tool.  I also agree that the M10 is the perfect addition.  I have one, along with some Leica glass (21mm SEM, 35 and 50mm Summicron, and 75mm Elmarit).  The incredible 28mm on the Q fills the gap wonderfully, and allows me to quickly switch to a wide angle without having to fiddle with lens changes.  Very complementary.  Wise to save up and take the plunge.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/17/2018 at 8:04 AM, zampelis said:

One feature that I would be very intrested, is in-camera pixel shift. Most of the competition already does it.. I don't see it as something unreal to be included in the new camera. Currently to achieve the same effect with my Q takes me 2-3 hours of editing, and I imagine it will be even longer with the larger files of the Q2.

Pentax, BTW, has incorporated excellent pixel shift in several of their DSLR cameras, both FF and APS-C.  With their best prime lenses and some of the top-line zooms, IQ is excellent.