No Q2 at least for now, says Leica Rumors

bags27

Advertisement (gone after registration)

https://leicarumors.com/

FWIW (which may not be much, since LR was sure of a C-M in June.

But the very, very big news is over on the SL thread, where there are confirmed (ha!) reports that Leica, Panasonic, and Sigma are going to share the L mount and that next week Panasonic is announcing a camera with "way more than a 42 MPS sensor" and Leica compatible: 

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/289421-new-panasonic-full-frame-with-sl-mount/page-4?do=findComment&comment=3596722

I suspect that, if true, it will further delay work on Q2, since Leica may well have its hands full trying to position a competitive SL2 and pushing out a lot of new L glass, not to mention its S line which is already been announced to be undergoing a major upgrade.

• Like 3

I saw that - makes me think even more that we're at least a year away from hearing anything. I'm still not sure how they would improve the current Q honestly. A different focal length like 35mm would be awesome - but part of me hopes they even keep the same 28 1.7. I've really bonded with the FOV on mine!

• Like 2

The problem for Leica with having a Q with a significantly different focal length is: what would be stopping us from carrying 2 Qs of different focal length, the sum total of which would be significantly less expensive than one SL with 2 summilux lenses? 

• Like 3

The problem for Leica with having a Q with a significantly different focal length is: what would be stopping us from carrying 2 Qs of different focal length, the sum total of which would be significantly less expensive than one SL with 2 summilux lenses? 

Exactly! Actually multiple benefits - less expensive, probably less total weight to carry, and you have a backup camera with you.

• Like 1

I’m not far to think there will never be a Q2. I believe the Q’s success is beyond Leica’s expectations and it cannibalizes M and lenses sales, it’s probably a significant hit in their revenues. This could be worse with a 40MP+ Q2 where people could crop and feel even less the need for a secondary camera with lenses.

I think the Q will be discontinued and the M will get hybrid viewfinder and AF.

Edited by Voxen
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I’m not far to think there will never be a Q2. I believe the Q’s success is beyond Leica’s expectations and it cannibalizes M and lenses sales, it’s probably a significant hit in their revenues. This could be worse with a 40MP+ Q2 where people could crop and feel even less the need for a secondary camera with lenses.

I think the Q will be discontinued and the M will get hybrid viewfinder and AF.

I don't know - I don't imagine Leica or any company going "wow, we had a runaway success with our Q, it's our best selling camera ever - as a result of that, let's discontinue it" 

That being said - I truly don't believe we're anywhere close to a Q version 2 - I'd love to be wrong, but I think the current Q is here to stay for a long time. 

• Like 3

The Leica reps I've talked with have said 2 things:

1. The Q is a gateway drug to other Leicas

2. It's hard to keep the Q in stock.

Virtually everything about Leica sales figures is proprietary information and you have to extrapolate from casual conversation.

• Like 3

The assumption here is that the Q merely cannibalized existing Leica sales. For all we know it may have expanded them...

Yup.   Because of the Q I have an M 262.  I doubt I'd have bought the M without the experience of the Q.  I got the Q because I wanted a full frame camera similar to the Fuji X100 I was otherwise happy with.

However, owning the M could lead to an interesting dilemma: if my Q were to break would I replace it or instead get a Summicron-M 28mm f/2 ASPH?  I use my Q in manual focus mode 99+ percent of the time so loss of autofocus would not be an issue.

• Like 3

I'm new to the forum. This is a first time post for me. I come from a Fujifilm X system experience.

Just recently I purchased a Leica Q after reading some descriptions of the Q on a Fujifilm forum. I did some research and ordered one. I just received it last week and am learning to shoot with it and to get the results I want.

I came across this thread and wanted to comment. In the past, I would never consider purchasing an M or the lenses to go with it. They are way over what I would consider paying for a camera. The Q on the other hand, though costing still more than I have ever paid for a camera before, was within reason and has given me a chance to explore Leica. If in the future, I decide to purchase more Leica kit, it will be because of the Q.

• Like 8

I'm new to the forum. This is a first time post for me. I come from a Fujifilm X system experience.

Just recently I purchased a Leica Q after reading some descriptions of the Q on a Fujifilm forum. I did some research and ordered one. I just received it last week and am learning to shoot with it and to get the results I want.

I came across this thread and wanted to comment. In the past, I would never consider purchasing an M or the lenses to go with it. They are way over what I would consider paying for a camera. The Q on the other hand, though costing still more than I have ever paid for a camera before, was within reason and has given me a chance to explore Leica. If in the future, I decide to purchase more Leica kit, it will be because of the Q.

+1

• Like 1

#1 I’m not far to think there will never be a Q2. I believe the Q’s success is beyond Leica’s expectations and it cannibalizes M and lenses sales, it’s probably a significant hit in their revenues. This could be worse with a 40MP+ Q2 where people could crop and feel even less the need for a secondary camera with lenses.

#2 I think the Q will be discontinued and the M will get hybrid viewfinder and AF.

I totally agree to #1.

But I do not agree to #2. Leica will never get rid of the rangefinder system in the M series. There will be just another camera instead, like to rumoured cooperation between Leica, Panasonic and Sigma.

Edited by LucisPictor
  • Like 2

Most companies first spend time identifying a market opportunity. They specify in detail the product they will make and price it down to the last nut and bolt to fit that opportunity. They test it with their intended audiences to see likely sales take up. They price test. They check to understand why a potential buyer would buy and where they are coming from. There’s a lot that goes into the process before launching a new product and a lot of monitoring that goes on after launch. If Leica is losing sales and margin from other products in their range they need to fire the product planners and the market researchers.

If Leica M camera/lens sales are really struggling because of the Q then the last thing Leica should to is discontinue the Q, but rather improve on it (or find a way to add AF to the M if that is even possible), because other vendors will be more than happy to try to step in and fill that void with plenty of Q like cameras. Now that mirrorless has established itself in FF world it's no brainer that more of those types of cameras are coming and will pressure the M lineup from all sides, as we can see with recent Sony, Canon, Nikon, Fuji, and let's not forget X1D which set a new milestone for what is possible in very portable package (sure to be perfectly good for street photography in the next version where AF and general operational speed are guaranteed to be much improved, and medium format will be the differntiating factor - FF may become the new APS-C :o).