C 41 Process Chemicals Life

pridbor

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Kind of a new guy in the Darkroom developing film that is. 

I bought a kit for C41 film development and successfully developed 2 films, Ilford XP2, about a year ago.

I left the chemicals in my garage and am now wondering if they are still OK to use?

It has been quite hot during this summer outside 100+ and inside maybe 10 degrees less.

Thanks in advance

Preben

• 2 weeks later...

C41 developer should be thought of as "food." It contains a high proportion of organic materials (especially the dye components), that spoil rapidly, just like mayonnaise or eggs.

I toss mine 2-4 weeks after mixing, especially once used, with added chemical compounds dissolved out of the film itself.

The other chemicals (bleach, fixer) are more inorganic, and thus can survive longer. I wouldn't trust them at 1 year, but it is easy to test the fixer, at least, by putting a little in a container, and dropping in a clipped-off piece of film (say, from the leader). If the fix is working, the film will "clear" in 1-2 minutes (i.e. no longer opaque pink or beige, but transparent).

If you are willing to trust the bleach and/or fix, Denver Pro Photo can sell you just the C-41 developer (a.k.a Flexicolor developer) components alone (three little bottles). Probably (?) can be sourced in Vegas or SLC as well. Will make 3 liters, which can be mixed sequentially in 1-liter/qt batches - the concentrates, once opened, will last 2-3 months in dark, room-temperature storage (i.e. under my powder-room sink) ;) .

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I had my C-41 developer chemicals in closed 500 ml glass bottles filled to top and well sealed stored between 20-23 deg C for about 9 months without seeing issues. I developed about 25 films with them during this time. At the end of its lifetime, I saw precipitation in the Blix solution and the developer turned very dark and flocked out. A bit precipitation in the developer is not an issue since it also fully dissolves when pre-heated to 40 deg C. 

Rule of thumb is to avoid cross contamination between the chemicals to increase lifetime. In my E-6 slide development process I added additional washing steps between developers and fixer which increased lifetime a lot. I will do the same next time I am making and using new C-41 solutions, too.  

The most tedious developer chemicals I have used so far are the ones used in the RA-4 process. This stuff oxidizes very quickly even in closed bottles. One reason why I don't bother using it anymore.