Original strap causes wear

trequartista

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Unless Leica made any changes of which I’m unaware of, the black M10 has a so-called Black Chrome finish.

The problem with this finish is that it’s one of the most delicate finishes available.

Technically speaking, there is no such thing as “Black Chrome.”

As everyone knows Chrome has a silverish look and comes usually highly polished to a mirror-like finish.

“Black Chrome” is nothing but a layer of Chrome with a powder coating of black paint on top.

The problem with this is that nothing sticks to Chrome. Whatever you put on will come off.

In order to make the powder coat adhere better, the layer of Chrome is left unpolished and full of scratches.

Unfortunately, this doesn’t change much to the fact that nothing will stick to Chrome for long.

The black powder coating will come off sooner than later and reveal the unpolished layer of chrome underneath.

May that be from leather or any other material straps are made of.

Even one’s own thumb, when resting always in the same position when taking pictures, will eventually cause a blemish.

There is nothing one can do about it. Blemishes are part of the charm of a Black Chrome finish.

You better get used to it.

-Harry

Wrong-

https://www.consonnisrl.it/en/electroplating-treatments/chromium-plating/black-chromium-plating/

http://www.olymco.com/black-chrome.aspx

https://arlingtonplating.com/capabilities/black-chrome-plating/

• Like 1

Black Crome, in the case of Leica, is plated over nickel, not over chrome.

That doesn’t make much of a difference. Nickel, chrome or whatever other metal plating used has the same effect. No paint or powder coating can stick to it for long. It’s simply not rough enough to create a bond to hold onto it.

Indeed - by about half a century.

Guess, you are beside the point - by about half a century.

As I stated already in another post, whichever metal has been used does not matter whatsoever. No paint or powder coating will adhere to it for long.

Or in layman terms, metal (any) simply does not give much to hold onto.

That doesn’t make much of a difference. Nickel, chrome or whatever other metal plating used has the same effect. No paint or powder coating can stick to it for long. It’s simply not rough enough to create a bond to hold onto it.

Black chrome is not paint.

While there are paints where the color is called “black chrome” there are also true black chrome plating methods, which alloy other metals with chromium to create black finishes. True black chrome is hard, but makes a thin layer over the nickel base, so the silver will start to show through with wear. Leica black chrome is electro plated.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

While there are paints where the color is called “black chrome” there are also true black chrome plating methods, which alloy other metals with chromium to create black finishes. True black chrome is hard, but makes a thin layer over the nickel base, so the silver will start to show through with wear. Leica black chrome is electro plated.

Exactly.

Guess, you are beside the point - by about half a century.

As I stated already in another post, whichever metal has been used does not matter whatsoever. No paint or powder coating will adhere to it for long.

Or in layman terms, metal (any) simply does not give much to hold onto.

Reason why Black Chrome is not a coating...

You are probably confused by the fact that Leica has both black paint and black chrome cameras in its program.

Here is my solution to prevent wear on my M10 bodies. The Peak Design quick releases facilitate easy swapping of neck and wrist straps. I use it on all of my Leica and Fuji X cameras.

Regards,

Bud James

Please check out my fine art and travel photography at www.budjames.photography or on Instagram at www.instagram.com/budjamesphoto.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Since my strap has even succeeded in removing bits of the camera covering, I suspect its also responsible for damage to the paintwork too - hard to tell on mine to be perfectly honest - but the strap definitely rubs on a dent and is making the paintwork glossy there. Just a bit more patina though really. As my digital cameras are not investments but are tools, I'm not overly bothered about their condition as long as they work well.

• Like 1