Original strap causes wear

trequartista

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello

I used my Leica M10 with the original strap for one weekend and it already caused wear on the sides of my camera. I think it's quite a pity to buy a expensive camera and use it with original accessories which actually causes that so quickly. Now I changed to another. Do you think I could blame Leica for it? I generally don't mind if there is wear and tear, but first of all I want to be responsible of it and second the black version does not really look good if the surface gets wear.

Guest Nowhereman

Not sure on what basis you think you could blame Leica for this. Sorry, but life is too short to worry about camera scratches.  Also, I think that any camera strap would have caused the same type of minute marks. If you were so concerned about chafing from a camera strap you would have done better to buy a silver chrome camera, which has a more durable finish. The other thing, of course, is that cameras are made to be used and minor marks and scratches are so trivial that...

Alone in Bangkok essay on BURN Magazine

Nowhereman Instagram

but first of all I want to be responsible of it and second the black version does not really look good if the surface gets wear.

The new very matt black finishes that Leica use will polish up to a sheen with first use. But it isn't really 'wear', it is the oils from the strap and oils your skin that add a sheen to the surface of the camera. When you've handled it for a few weeks the whole thing will have a sheen to it. So if it's a big problem for you put some black tape on the corners of the camera because any strap will do the same thing, there is nothing wrong with Leica's own strap.

A Leica camera is not a jewel, it's a camera. Cameras get wear from use and abuse by users.

If you don't want any wear or dirt on your camera, keep it in the box, in its packing, and take photos with your iPhone. Then you'll have a perfectly beautiful Leica and you'll get some photos too.

I mean, who can care whether your iPhone has a scratch or two on it. It's a phone, for gosh sake...

• Like 5

My M10 from one of the first batches has some minor abrasion near the strap lugs after some heavy use, which I would never even have bothered to discover, if it were not for this thread - and about which, sorry to say, I could not care less.

My M9 has a dent in the top plate which was entirely my own fault (banged against a rock during a climb, but got wonderful pictures).

My M7 from 2002 is slightly brassed on all edges. It is not a showcase prop.

My vintage cameras are in good but original condition, meaning that they proudly exhibit some blemishes after nearly a century of being used for what they were being made for in the first place.

All my bodies and lenses are technically in perfect condtion, the optical elements are free from any fault, that is what matters to me. I am not a rogue with my gear but I do not make a fetish of it, either.

• Like 2

Unless Leica made any changes of which I’m unaware of, the black M10 has a so-called Black Chrome finish.

The problem with this finish is that it’s one of the most delicate finishes available.

Technically speaking, there is no such thing as “Black Chrome.”

As everyone knows Chrome has a silverish look and comes usually highly polished to a mirror-like finish.

“Black Chrome” is nothing but a layer of Chrome with a powder coating of black paint on top.

The problem with this is that nothing sticks to Chrome. Whatever you put on will come off.

In order to make the powder coat adhere better, the layer of Chrome is left unpolished and full of scratches.

Unfortunately, this doesn’t change much to the fact that nothing will stick to Chrome for long.

The black powder coating will come off sooner than later and reveal the unpolished layer of chrome underneath.

May that be from leather or any other material straps are made of.

Even one’s own thumb, when resting always in the same position when taking pictures, will eventually cause a blemish.

There is nothing one can do about it. Blemishes are part of the charm of a Black Chrome finish.

You better get used to it.

-Harry

Unless Leica made any changes of which I’m unaware of, the black M10 has a so-called Black Chrome finish.

The problem with this finish is that it’s one of the most delicate finishes available.

Technically speaking, there is no such thing as “Black Chrome.”

As everyone knows Chrome has a silverish look and comes usually highly polished to a mirror-like finish.

“Black Chrome” is nothing but a layer of Chrome with a powder coating of black paint on top.

The problem with this is that nothing sticks to Chrome. Whatever you put on will come off.

In order to make the powder coat adhere better, the layer of Chrome is left unpolished and full of scratches.

Unfortunately, this doesn’t change much to the fact that nothing will stick to Chrome for long.

The black powder coating will come off sooner than later and reveal the unpolished layer of chrome underneath.

May that be from leather or any other material straps are made of.

Even one’s own thumb, when resting always in the same position when taking pictures, will eventually cause a blemish.

There is nothing one can do about it. Blemishes are part of the charm of a Black Chrome finish.

You better get used to it.

-Harry

Black Crome, in the case of Leica, is plated over nickel, not over chrome.

Stupid question perhaps but did you attach the strap so that the leather cover of the rings is on the inside, and therefore between the camera body and the rings? I did it this way and um, over a year and thousands of actuations later no real wear to report.