Would love a Leica X1 Mark II from Leica

yanidel

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Though I mainly shoot street with a Leica M9, I really love the Leica X1 to take along when photography is not the main goal of an outing. With a OVF mounted, it is so much pleasure to shoot snapshots with it. As for image quality, with a little white balance and tint tweaking, I can print up to A3+ and it is almost imposible to differentiate between prints from the M9 and X1.

I feel that no camera released by Leica after the X1/X2 really works as a replacement. Be it the X113, CL, or Q, they are not pocketable and are almost M sized. The T lost a lot in ergonomics (exposure dials) and has bigger lenses. 

So I would love Leica to launch an updated Leica X1  with the following characteristics:

- same size, weight and pocketability as the original X1. This is the #1 criteria.

- upgraded sensor with no low pass filter. APS-C is fine.

- faster start up (1 second or less)

- manual focus ring or dial (similar to Sigma DP2)

- upgraded screen with tilt if possible.

- 2018 autofocus system

- stiffer exposure dial

- auto ISO capability in M exposure mode

- a non-retractable lens would be preferible if not adding to overall size.

- 35mm ok, F2.8 too if clean ISO6400.

- improved battery life. 

Any chance for it to happen ?

• Like 3

I loved the X1 and have a beautiful enlargement from that camera on my wall that is almost A3, but the for me the X1 was too large to pocket.  When traveling in Middle East as I did with that camera and a Pannasonic LX3, the Panny was pocketable for walks and the X1 just slightly too big. I still tok it along but used a neck strap :)  Had it been colder and I had a winter coat, maybe I'd have carried it with wrist strap. So the X 113 replaces that camera for me. I also love the manual focus ability of the 113.

The X-E is no longer listed on the Leica website, nor are the X Vario and X 113. The only X camera is the X-U, which must be unique in being a fixed lens aps-c compact with waterproof, rugged body. It's a bit sad that the X line seems to have been axed, because I think there's a decent niche market for fixed lens aps-c cameras like this.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

+1 to what Archiver said here. There is not only a niche but a great tradition of nicely portable fixed-lens cameras. Think of Ikontas A and B, Olympus XA, Konica Hexar, Fuji X 100, Sony RX1 and too many to list. 

With the X line, Leica have a foundation of fixed lens cameras to build on if someone there will choose to see that and effectively move the company to produce more of them. Here's to hoping! 

David 

The X1 is the only digital camera I have used from 2012 until today. Why? It is small, and serves a purpose that cannot be covered by the Ms. Layout is simple and functional. I also had an X2 with removed AA-filter, that I sadly lost (it yielded a print in Alpinist Magazine, looked great). It made an excellent companion to the Contax T3 in the high mountains (Caucasus).
The X1 survived what the Ms did not, and saved photo projects on more than one occasion when the main cameras (M7, M6) failed and needed to go to repair.

While it seems a little outdated today (mine is broken to the point that the screen likes to black out and metering is not reliable, so I need to sometimes meter manually), I still carry it when running or cycling.

What I would really like to see is an APS-H sized version with Monochrom sensor. The X2 sans AA-filter was great for B/W work. The lens was fine, for most parts, but would likely need an update to work with higher sensors resolutions.

On Janga-Tau (5058m, Caucasus).
Leica X1

L1061810-Bearbeitet_o.jpg

Edited by Peter_S
  • Like 14

I loved the X1 and have a beautiful enlargement from that camera on my wall that is almost A3, but the for me the X1 was too large to pocket. When traveling in Middle East as I did with that camera and a Pannasonic LX3, the Panny was pocketable for walks and the X1 just slightly too big. I still tok it along but used a neck strap :) Had it been colder and I had a winter coat, maybe I'd have carried it with wrist strap. So the X 113 replaces that camera for me. I also love the manual focus ability of the 113.

The X113 is a great camera but no real advantage size wise compared to my M9. Lately, I just carry the X1 in the leather pouch tied to my belt, with a cutout for the external viewfinder to fit.

The X1 is the only digital camera I have used from 2012 until today. Why? It is small, and serves a purpose that cannot be covered by the Ms. Layout is simple and functional. I also had an X2 with removed AA-filte

May I ask who removed the filter for you?

+1 to what Archiver said here. There is not only a niche but a great tradition of nicely portable fixed-lens cameras. Think of Ikontas A and B, Olympus XA, Konica Hexar, Fuji X 100, Sony RX1 and too many to list.

With the X line, Leica have a foundation of fixed lens cameras to build on if someone there will choose to see that and effectively move the company to produce more of them. Here's to hoping!

David

I'd love to know the thought process that lead to the X line being cut and the introduction of the TL, the CL and the Q. I believe the X1 sold well in his time but when the line-up started converging to the M size, no so well. Edited by yanidel
  • Like 1

I'd love to know the thought process that lead to the X line being cut and the introduction of the TL, the CL and the Q. I believe the X1 sold well in his time but when the line-up started converging to the M size, no so well.

The big negative to the x1 and it’s progeny; No integrated vf (which lead to cl and q).

Though I mainly shoot street with a Leica M9, I really love the Leica X1 to take along when photography is not the main goal of an outing. With a OVF mounted, it is so much pleasure to shoot snapshots with it. As for image quality, with a little white balance and tint tweaking, I can print up to A3+ and it is almost imposible to differentiate between prints from the M9 and X1.

I feel that no camera released by Leica after the X1/X2 really works as a replacement. Be it the X113, CL, or Q, they are not pocketable and are almost M sized. The T lost a lot in ergonomics (exposure dials) and has bigger lenses. 

So I would love Leica to launch an updated Leica X1  with the following characteristics:

- same size, weight and pocketability as the original X1. This is the #1 criteria.

- upgraded sensor with no low pass filter. APS-C is fine.

- faster start up (1 second or less)

- manual focus ring or dial (similar to Sigma DP2)

- upgraded screen with tilt if possible.

- 2018 autofocus system

- stiffer exposure dial

- auto ISO capability in M exposure mode

- a non-retractable lens would be preferible if not adding to overall size.

- 35mm ok, F2.8 too if clean ISO6400.

- improved battery life. 

Any chance for it to happen ?

Such a camera cannot be 'launched' without at least 18 months R&D and a big €€commitment to reach prototype stage … and a promise that it would sell. 

Leica's APS commitment is with the CL for which there is a compact 23mm lens … likely the best partial solution to an X1 equivalent … and by virtue of its L mount, more future proof than any fixed lens APS compact model. 

dunk 

Such a camera cannot be 'launched' without at least 18 months R&D and a big €€commitment to reach prototype stage … and a promise that it would sell.

Leica's APS commitment is with the CL for which there is a compact 23mm lens … likely the best partial solution to an X1 equivalent … and by virtue of its L mount, more future proof than any fixed lens APS compact model.

dunk

The CL is basically M sized. The whole idea of the X1 is a very small and light camera. I take mine in a belt leather pouch everywhere, can't do that with my M9 and CL is almost M sized.

The X1 was so close to perfection. I bought a second one just in case.

• Like 1

https://www.reddotforum.com/content/2018/09/photokina-2018-the-leica-cl-and-future-of-aps-c/

This seems to confirm that no new X planned in short term and that Leica sees the CL as replacement. Funny to read that they see the flexibility of the CL (interchangeable lenses) as an advantage over the X when really it is the size, simplicity and minimalism of the X that makes it such a joy to use and a very different camera.