Leica SL video settings

MarkLeicaq

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I’m curious to ask what Leica SL shooters use for filming and what they think of it. I’m filming weddings with the Sony A7III and I’m happy with it. I also use the have a Leica Q. I’m wanting my films to look like the images that come out of Q. Any advice would be most appreciated

Thanks

First "bit" of advice: the L-Log setting is only useful if you use an external HDMI recorder (Atomos, Blackmagic, Convergent Odyssey, Video Devices) in 10-Bit mode. It will lead to banding if you record internally in 8-Bit mode.

Other than that, how would you describe the look of your Q images? I find that the lens is more important than the camera. I get nice classical-Hollywood results with vintage cine lenses, but I also get a crisp modern look with modern lenses. It depends on which one fits your story.

• Like 1

Caveat ... don't believe everything you read ... even here.  :rolleyes:

Following is L-Log no external recorder. I now use a Pix-E5 for a lot of stuff but not on this video.

Banding might come to play when one stresses the exposure or grade ... not a universal outcome of the SL with L-Log.

Ignore the warning ... click on the "Watch on Vimeo" box ...

https://vimeo.com/282209632

And the SL will smoke almost all other non Cinema cameras.

Edited by docmoore

Banding might come to play when one stresses the exposure or grade ... not a universal outcome of the SL with L-Log.

Correct, I should have stated that it "can" lead to banding. It won't happen every time. It depends on how much correction you apply.

In practical terms, you are less likely to get banding if you have a contrasty scene, and therefore apply less contrast correction to L-Log footage. A flat scene that requires more correction is more likely to show banding.

I find banding most intrusive on blue skies. They end-up looking like an English triffle.

When shooting in-camera, I abstain from ISO800 and above, as it is not possible to turn off noise reduction.

L-Log for in-camera shooting works ok, but kinda pointless, as the output is 8-bit anyway with obvious repercussions for the dynamic range.

Shooting via HDMI is much more flexible and greatly depends upon a recorder used. I personally have BM Video Assist 4K. It is fine, but unlike new Atomos recorders it does not do 120fps.

When shooting in-camera, I abstain from ISO800 and above, as it is not possible to turn off noise reduction.

L-Log for in-camera shooting works ok, but kinda pointless, as the output is 8-bit anyway with obvious repercussions for the dynamic range.

Shooting via HDMI is much more flexible and greatly depends upon a recorder used. I personally have BM Video Assist 4K. It is fine, but unlike new Atomos recorders it does not do 120fps.

I have understood that if you use live view and do not hit the video record button there is no noise reduction applied ... just take the HDMI feed and start the external recorder while the camera is

in live view. So at the present I just use the external recorder in ProRes ... 

Seems to give a better image. But the camera is much worse at high iso in video than stills.

I keep hovering over the GH5s for times I need anything above 800 ... 10 bit 4:2:2 internal dual UHS2 slots no time limit and a time code sync that needs a firmware update for continuous

external time code generator. Smaller and lighter for those times you want to travel light.

Bob

Edited by docmoore