Waiting for the M10P. but did I get what I wanted?

Paulus

Advertisement (gone after registration)

For once, I did not buy a new digital M ( 8,9, M240, ) as an early adapter, because every time I did, Leica came with a very nice M -P version about 1,5 year later. 

Now I don't know any more? 

Is there really something better on the M10P what one needs? 

The touchscreen is not made for me... ( Can one put it off? )

The viewfinder better, that's always good, but does it make a real difference in practice with the M10? 

So if you can help me decide between the two, I would be thankful.

And if not, maybe, I just have to wait a year until the M 11 gives me an alternative.

Hi Jeff, 

I tried the M 10 about a year ago for a few hours, take the camera into the street and shoot photo's till my hand cramped ( I was used to the bigger M 240 with Luigi ) 

That's when I decided to wait on the M 10P because I was not quite convinced the M 10 was the alternative spending the extra money. In the mean time I know that it is a great camera, friends say but I decided to wait for the M10P . 

What's your experience with the M 10 P in comparisson to the M10, would you spend the extra € 1000,-  I will see/hold/shootthe M10P for myself next Saturday morning. 

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

If I was shooting a lot of intimate, low ambient sound situations, I might opt for the M10-P. Otherwise, the price hike is a bit too steep for what it offers beyond the original M10 imho. Since I already own the M10, I feel no urge to trade in. However, I definitely loved the shutter sound during testing. For those who use live view a lot without the Viso20, the touch screen may be worthwile.

Hi

The quieter shutter sounds great... but really no need. The M10 still quiet and have a lot nicer shutter sound than the somewhat strange M9. Touch screen not on my wishlist. The level gauge has some value, but I kind of expect to be ok without... old style...

So what (again) remains would be the stealthier look without the Leica logo. And I guess I have had to become used to living with the red dots not having the patience to wait for the P´s... ;-)

All in all upgrade is not an issue for me.

Edited by Stein K S

Now is a good time to purchase a mint M10 with remaining warranty at a great price.

Many people are offloading mint M10's for the M10P. Do you really want to spend $3-4K more just to get the new M10P versus a barely touched M10?

There is really no difference besides the silent shutter and level gauge. You still need a screen protector, as the P doesn't come with sapphire glass this time. The buffer is the same. The viewfinder is the same. The sensor is the same. Everything is exactly the same, except the cosmetics, shutter and level tool.

Oh, I almost forgot, the P also comes with a metal hot-shoe cover... A real must-have.

Edited by indergaard
  • Like 1

If I were an M240 owner, honestly I wouldn't get either model. Since when did Leica owners continuously lust for new features? Yes I know since always, but okay - since when did Leica owners actually buy cameras because of their tech...?

For me it's really just about 2 things - the user experience of the rangefinder/small body full frame options - which has been around since the 1950's and has worked well since the with every digital model, and the sensor output that you get, which Leica has always lagged a bit on but is now "average" with the M240 and beyond. None of those other things like viewfinder magnification factor, shutter noise, dial/button placement etc add up to thousands of dollars in improvement in my eyes.

The operation is similar in all of these bodies, the sensor is essentially the same (with different output).

There are differences, but they're not really in the guts of the camera.

I hadn't bought a digital Leica since the less than impressive M8. I am overall happy with the M10. There's nothing on it that I want or that would really benefit me in practice - other than a better sensor. Otherwise it's a very similar experience of manually making pictures with a rangefinder camera.  

Edited by pgh
  • Like 3

For once, I did not buy a new digital M ( 8,9, M240, ) as an early adapter, because every time I did, Leica came with a very nice M -P version about 1,5 year later. 

The viewfinder better, that's always good, but does it make a real difference in practice with the M10? 

And if not, maybe, I just have to wait a year until the M 11 gives me an alternative.

I think you've answered your own question. If the M10 didn't tempt you enough and you don't absolutely must have a quieter shutter then hang on with what you've got.

The viewfinder of the M10P is AFAIK unchanged. Maybe you're confused about the new spirit level feature? But that's on the LCD not the viewfinder.

• Like 1

I traded my MP240 for the M10 a month ago.  I thought there was value in the improved rangefinder, ISO sensitivity and wifi connectivity for remote shooting.  

I checked out the M10P last week  and, sure enough, the dampened shutter is very sexy but for me, and the use I have for the camera, not worth the extra money.  The electronic horizon is useful at times but it is not as sophisticated as the horizon on the MP240 which works on two planes.  The touch screen was not so compelling because I usually have the rear screen covered most of the time.  Nevertheless, when I pick up a new M camera, the heart often

rules the head.  That's why Leica makes them so expensive so the head can rule the heart for once.

• Like 1

Having shot extensively with both the M10 and the M10-P, here are all the differences I can think of:

- Much quieter shutter

- Touchscreen that greatly improves my ability to check focus (double tap anywhere to zoom in to 100% at that spot, pinch and drag to scroll within or between photos)

- Electronic level in live view (can be displayed or hidden)

- Hotshoe cover is metal and matches (imperfectly, in the case of silver) the body color

- The hotshoe width itself seems substantially tighter (so my previous hotshot accessories fit tighter than before; the difference is too large to merely be wear unless the M10 hotshoe widened with wear)

- No red dot on the front (flathead short-thread screw instead)

- Leica engraving on the top

- A bit heavier (about 20 grams I think)

As to whether or not it is worth an upgrade from an M10... depends on what you value, of course.

I have an M10 and handled an M10P for the first time today.

The shutter is AMAZING. I was astounded at how quiet it was.

I really miss the virtual horizon that was present on the M240.

These are, however, not enough to justify the financial loss upgrading. If I was buying an M10 iteration now it would be without doubt an M10P

Sounds like you have a 240 and are pondering an M10/P. Here is my take. i think that coming from the M240, the M10 is a great ego boost. Which at times is the kick in the pants one needs to get out and make photographs.

As far as image quality, there is no difference. 

my advice? wait a little longer . the M10P is the first variant from this platform. see what else may tickle your fancy. Remember,in 2 years the M11 will come with more megapixels...

Today I tried the M10P in the shop. For me it is now clear, that I will not buy this kind of camera. The camera has some features, I do not want to use. The touchscreen is as I thought quite useless for me. Further I noticed, that one cannot enlarge a taken picture as big as on the M 240, or maybe I did something wrong, but the guy in the photoshop also did not get it larger. Even one of my friends who was accompanying me and is quite technical and has the Sony A7RIII could not help me.I must say, the picture quality of the Sony A7RIII with my Asph Summilux 50 was also way better, than the M10P...But that's another comparison. 

The " colour" of the chrome is different in comparison with my MP and M 240 chrome. 

I am convinced that in the iso area the M10P is better than the M 240. But also not really a reason to buy the M10P version. 

When I look at the M10P and compare the body with my MP there seems something missing in the front of the camera. The shutterspeeddial is big and the empty space next to the viewfinder is not really a nice view IMHO. 

It was easy to use the camera and the viewfinder felt good. The shutter was buttersweet.  I do not really need this, because I use the first click especially with babies and small children whose ears are very good , to look at me after the first picture and keep them focussed in my lens with their eyes. I'm afraid, this will not work anymore with the M10P.

My conclusion is, to wait for the M 11 and if it is to modern ( the touchscreen did not make me happy )  , just buy used M10 for half of the price of the M10P today. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

Wise decision I think. Except for the silent shutter which is very special but strangely enough perhaps too silent, the former upgrades of 8 and 9 had more surplusvalue than this M10P. It is very expensive while the sapphire glass is still missing. Seems to me that this P idea becomes more and more a merchandising thing coming close to Hermes etc. editions. IMO Leica should stop with these tricks and bring out serious upgrades only with new whole numbers