Not a bag, a BOX for the Q

Justin44

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Ok when I use my Q I have it round my neck on a Peakdesign sling strap, this for me is perfect. But the time I fear most about my camera is when I put it in a backpack in the overhead locker of an aeroplane. I travel a lot for work, EasyJet, Ryanair and I have carry on only. We’ve all seen it, you place your bag in the overhead then some other person comes along and starts to ram their bag in on top of yours. What I’m looking for is a light but strong plastic box that will fit the Q offer protection. Something like a Peli box but as small as possible.

Anyon found th perfect box, or am I the only paranoid Q owner looking?

Ok when I use my Q I have it round my neck on a Peakdesign sling strap, this for me is perfect. But the time I fear most about my camera is when I put it in a backpack in the overhead locker of an aeroplane. I travel a lot for work, EasyJet, Ryanair and I have carry on only. We’ve all seen it, you place your bag in the overhead then some other person comes along and starts to ram their bag in on top of yours. What I’m looking for is a light but strong plastic box that will fit the Q offer protection. Something like a Peli box but as small as possible.

Anyon found th perfect box, or am I the only paranoid Q owner looking?

Cannot help specifically on a hard case but I find the small Thinktank bag I use is sufficient, especially with a few clothes round it.

Even worse than the experience you describe is when EasyJet run out of overhead locker space and you are obliged to put the carry-on bag in the hold. There have been times when I have stood by the steps and handed over an almost empty bag while I stuffed its contents into my pockets and carried on camera, iPad and other things loose in my hands. Such are the wonders of budget air travel! Of course SleazyJet offer a solution: pay extra for a PlusCard and then you are guaranteed to take your bag on board. Sorry wandered off topic - just morning grumpy old man syndrome.

• Like 1

It may not be as stylish as a Pelican case but I often use a 1.6l size box made by the Really Useful Box Co. They are aboout £3 in the UK and widely available at stationers and office supply shops - and may be available in the US. They are very strong - much stronger than a food container - and have firm lid catches. Just a thought ...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

How about a Thule bag? They have a built in hard compartment that might fit the Q.

I was looking at a Thule supplier and found this warning. WTeF?

* Due to the Thule new regulations relating to distribution, we are not allowed to ship some products of this brand to United States Of America

Edited by pico

There are quite a few pelicans that will work nicely, check the Pelican #1300 or even maybe one size smaller. Make sure to account for the foam depth when determining the right size (need about .75 to 1 inch padding)

If you want to go with a soft protection case take a look at the Artisan&Artist ACAM-60N or ACAM-GI-MN. I use a similar A&A Rina case which is a few years old and no longer offered ( I think the Rina case is somewhat collectable now in fact).

Let us know what you decide, especially if you go with Pelican.

It may not be as stylish as a Pelican case but I often use a 1.6l size box made by the Really Useful Box Co. They are aboout £3 in the UK and widely available at stationers and office supply shops - and may be available in the US. They are very strong - much stronger than a food container - and have firm lid catches. Just a thought ...

attachicon.gifIMG_0612.JPG

I use boxes similar to this for several of my cameras, available in most Dollar Stores in the US.

I use Lowepro dashpoint for my lenses that I put on my regular backpack (non-camera bag): 

It seems safe to me. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!