albert

Lens Hood Trouble

Advertisement (gone after registration)

15 hours ago, kentishrev said:

It is worth saying however that in my six or so years with Leica - in which time I've variously owned and used an M3, M6, M9, CL and M-D along with various Leica lenses - a slightly wobbly lens hood is the first problem I've encountered.  Not such a bad record really.

Good point

On 9/19/2018 at 3:18 PM, lanetomlane said:

My 35 Summilux hood also fell apart, which appears to be a common problem. Leica Manchester were happy to replace it; they said they had replaced a few.

The replacement has since fallen apart so I've glued it back together again myself. There is a locating lug so it's easy to get the correct orientation.

I purchased a 35mm Summilux 2 days ago, and the hood fell apart the day after I bought it. I was simply removing the lens from my camera bag and felt it come lose in my hand. I am super careful with my gear so this was very disappointing.

The black plastic inner ring appears to be made from an ABS-style plastic, and this is glued to the metal hood with 4x small dobs of a black, flexible glue.

Unfortunately the glue doesn't seem to bond to the plastic too well and this allows the plastic clip ring to come loose very easily.

I debated taking it back to the shop but it looked like a simple fix and I didn't want to wait possibly weeks (or longer!) for a replacement.

Today I put some very light diagonal score marks on the outside of the plastic ring where it sits in the hood. I also ran some sandpaper over this area to give a rough texture that would allow the glue to bond more thoroughly. I was very careful to do this in a manner that would not be seen when everything was re-assembled.

I added a very small amount of clear glue (Selleys Liquid Nails Clear - because that was what I had on hand) to the inner surface of the hood where the plastic ring sits. Then I carefully placed the ring back into place and left it to cure.

Time will tell if I have fixed it permanently, and I may need to re-glue with something else next time but hopefully I don't need to revisit this issue.

Stuart.

I've had the same issue with the hood of my recently acquired Leica Summicron-T 23mm F2. I was really surprised when it popped off as I've been very careful with the camera and lens. I'm thinking I will take the Gorilla Glue route if it pops off again. 

I have the same problem with all three TL lenses! Summilux 35mm, Macro Elmarit 60mm, and my Summicron 23mm. Total retail value? $7395. I bought them used for $5k, but that’s still crazy money.

Every single hood fell apart. It’s a crappy design.

Shameful of Leica, because they should recall the hoods and redesign the hood as one piece.

Now I feel like a dummy paying this much for these lenses. I can buy a Fuji X100F for less than the cost of the Summicron 23 alone and the hood on the Fuji is solid metal.

If anyone has suggested adhesive please share your recommendations.

I agree.  Leica should issue a re-designed hood.  Surely there are some consumer protection laws that are not being observed?  But before we get to legalities, Leica should take care of its customers.  There's plenty of track record of them doing that, so I wonder why they are delaying in this instance.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Well, Zeiss lens hoods are far superior. -metal and chrome bayonet etc., but they are a payable extra. 

For eight bucks I don't know why anyone wouldn't just buy the metal screw in hood on eBay and be done with it.

I asked the french customer service about a single piece of aluminium hood. 

The answer, it is impossible at a fair cost.... 

On 12/30/2018 at 2:35 PM, stustustu said:

I purchased a 35mm Summilux 2 days ago, and the hood fell apart the day after I bought it. I was simply removing the lens from my camera bag and felt it come lose in my hand. I am super careful with my gear so this was very disappointing.

The black plastic inner ring appears to be made from an ABS-style plastic, and this is glued to the metal hood with 4x small dobs of a black, flexible glue.

Unfortunately the glue doesn't seem to bond to the plastic too well and this allows the plastic clip ring to come loose very easily.

I debated taking it back to the shop but it looked like a simple fix and I didn't want to wait possibly weeks (or longer!) for a replacement.

Today I put some very light diagonal score marks on the outside of the plastic ring where it sits in the hood. I also ran some sandpaper over this area to give a rough texture that would allow the glue to bond more thoroughly. I was very careful to do this in a manner that would not be seen when everything was re-assembled.

I added a very small amount of clear glue (Selleys Liquid Nails Clear - because that was what I had on hand) to the inner surface of the hood where the plastic ring sits. Then I carefully placed the ring back into place and left it to cure.

Time will tell if I have fixed it permanently, and I may need to re-glue with something else next time but hopefully I don't need to revisit this issue.

Stuart.

I used Gorilla Glue, highly successfully. It’s dead easy to apply thinly, activates with water. I wrench my lens shade on and off now just like any others .

6 hours ago, nicci78 said:

I asked the french customer service about a single piece of aluminium hood. 

The answer, it is impossible at a fair cost.... 

Maybe if you alert them to the existence of AliExpress....🤣

3 hours ago, Petercoll said:

I used Gorilla Glue, highly successfully. It’s dead easy to apply thinly, activates with water. I wrench my lens shade on and off now just like any others .

Thank you so much! I really appreciate it. 

I use my T lenses (23, 18-56, 60 as well as 55-135) often with the lens hood, without specific carefulness, for private as well as job, but I had not any problem the last two years - thankfully. 

On 3/31/2019 at 12:33 PM, Petercoll said:

Many thanks for the tip. I bought the Gorilla Glue and it worked like a charm! Fixed all of my hoods! Now I can stop whining like a little baby. lol