Lens Hood Trouble

albert

Advertisement (gone after registration)

PROBLEM:

The hood for my SUMMILUX 35mm 1.4 fell apart.

Evidently, Leica glued a plastic lock from the hood to the lens at the bottom of the hood.

This glue failed.

Shabby!

I sent photographs of the problem to my dealer and asked if he wanted it or if I had to send it to New Jersey for more glue.

NOT HAPPY

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

Problem:

Two of three photographs of the same problem.

• Like 1

Problem:  three of three of the same problem.

• Like 1

PROBLEM:

The hood for my SUMMILUX 35mm 1.4 fell apart.

Evidently, Leica glued a plastic lock from the hood to the lens at the bottom of the hood.

This glue failed.

Shabby!

I sent photographs of the problem to my dealer and asked if he wanted it or if I had to send it to New Jersey for more glue.

NOT HAPPY

The hood falling apart has happened to me on my 35 1.4TL and my 60 TL.  My local camera repair shop used a black type of adhesive (like a glue substance), told me to let it sit for 24 hours, and there have been no issues since. The fix took 5 minutes and they did not charge me. I'd encourage you to try the same route, rather than sending the hood back to Leica.

Rob

• Like 2

It’s happened to me twice...sent one back to Leica for repair, had it returned only for it to fall apart again a few weeks later. Repaired it myself with adhesive and it has been fine since. In my opinion the TL 35/60 lens hood is really poor quality and not what I would expect from a premium lens. I have lens hoods from other brands that have been in use for three decades and never had any issues.

Edited by Steve Lane
  • Like 2

It’s happened to me twice...sent one back to Leica for repair, had it returned only for it to fall apart again a few weeks later. Repaired it myself with adhesive and it has been fine since. In my opinion the TL 35/60 lens hood is really poor quality and not what I would expect from a premium lens. I have lens hoods from other brands that have been in use for three decades and never had any issues.

Steve and Ropo,

Thanks guys, trouble loves company. I’d try it myself but I can’t tell exactly where to position it down into the hood.

This isn’t right.

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Steve and Ropo,

Thanks guys, trouble loves company. I’d try it myself but I can’t tell exactly where to position it down into the hood.

This isn’t right.

Not just the 35 and 60 hood, I have exactly the same problem with the 18-56 hood - I just keep shoving it back together, but really, shame, it is very poor quality from Leica. 

• Like 2

Not just the 35 and 60 hood, I have exactly the same problem with the 18-56 hood - I just keep shoving it back together, but really, shame, it is very poor quality from Leica. 

Agreed, Jayne!  My 18-56 does take a lot of tries to get it to sit right and lock in place.  

Rob

• Like 2

Steve and Ropo,

This isn’t right.

I've all but given up using the hoods.  Terrible quality and apart from the questionable design I'l bed it's just bad glue!

• Like 1

Steve and Ropo,

This isn’t right.

I’ll try glueing it tomorrow. but Leica should be ashamed !

• Like 1

Do any of you do-it-yourselfers have a process for the glueing, where to place it and how to drop the plastic connector into the correct place in the hood? Please.

Sorry, I do not.  But the bottom photo may help you line up the pieces as intended.

FWIW, I see no residue from the repair made by my camera shop.

To put the hood in place, the dot on the hood is intended to line up with the dot on the lens.  When the the hood is then "snapped" in place, the final rest points are as shown in the photo.

Edited by ropo54

The inner plastic ring does only seem to fit in a certain place. Before adding any glue I had a couple of dry runs to mentally identify what position it needed to be in. Then I added a couple of small drops of glue and seated it in position. I can’t recall what glue I used but I avoided contact cement in case I needed to abort and try again!

I abandoned the provide hood and got this screw-in one off eBay for $7 shipped. It provides adequate hooding and protection.

• Like 1

Can you provide any more information on the hood?  Seller of the 18-56 hood?  Thanks,

I am sure you can find them cheaper but this one does work and not vignette.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Screw-in-Mount-52mm-Round-Metal-Lens-Hood-Shade-Universal-for-DSLR-SLR-Camera/172524624668?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

• Like 1

I like a minimalistic hood. I can leave this hood on and still get the camera into the bag. You cannot attach the lens cap of course but if I am out shooting, I do not have one on anyway. Not sure if you can screw it into a filter and still not have vignette. The hood actually came well packaged in a small box unlike a lot of items from China that are just put in an envelope. FWIW.