Lens Hood Trouble

albert

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I've had to put the ring back in my black hood (came with a used 35 SX) twice.  There is one deeper notch on the inside of the hood and one bigger lug on the outside bottom edge of the holding ring that goes inside the hood.  It seems clear that the lug goes into the notch to position it correctly.  It is also important to get the ring in deep enough but not too deep.  My most recent try seems to have been too deep, so that I can't get it to turn far enough to lock in shooting position.  LockTite would seem to be the best glue, since it is intended to connect metal to metal and to give under a certain amount of stress. 

I like a minimalistic hood. I can leave this hood on and still get the camera into the bag. You cannot attach the lens cap of course but if I am out shooting, I do not have one on anyway. Not sure if you can screw it into a filter and still not have vignette. The hood actually came well packaged in a small box unlike a lot of items from China that are just put in an envelope. FWIW.

Very helpful...all of you.

Do any of you do-it-yourselfers have a process for the glueing, where to place it and how to drop the plastic connector into the correct place in the hood? Please.

My Leica source, in Rancho Mirage, California, is sending me a new perfect hood.  

• 4 weeks later...

Just got my hood for the 35mm 1.4 returned from Leica's New Jersey fix-it shop. The inner plastic had separated from the aluminum.  Works perfectly and of course no charge. The whole process took about one month.

The problem is that the end of the lens fits into the inner ring from one side when folded back, and that side is reached directly, but when the hood is in its working position, the inner ring must fit tightly and be aligned correctly with the hood for the projections on the end of the lens to find the right places to lock into.  Any slippage and they don't mesh.  I have tried to fix the hood on my 35 CL lens twice (bought used, so I can't ask Leica) twice and am about to try a third time.  Without the hood in the way, the inner ring attaches in either direction, but that's not good enough.