Leica CL in addition to the SL

cabe

I have both too - the SL Zooms work very well and with excellent IQ on the CL - but the very big 90/280 is not a pleasure to handle with the CL. For me, the 24/90 is no problem to handle with the CL. But I bought the CL together with the 18-56 and the 55-135 and of course the 18-56 is a ideal partner for the CL if the main reason to buy the CL is to have a very light camera, when the SL is not required. But in my opinion the CL cannot replace the SL in all respects. Therefore I keep both.

Thank you all

My idea is to have a second camera body that can use the same lenses. Traveling two bodies are useful (you don't have to change lenses and you're much quicker).

I was thinking of CL with the 18mm or 23mm and then, carrying only the 50SL and the 90SL, I'd be pretty quiet (the 90SL on the CL becomes a 135mm...). 

Edited by cabe

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am very happy with my SL (24-90 and a several M mount lenses with M-L adapter) for all but walk around and travel use. On recent 7 weeks trip in Europe I use Fujifilm X-Pro2 and an 18-55mm zoom. Excellent performer in all respects. I am in a process of selling Fujifilm gear to get CL and an 18-55 lens to replace it. I will loose weather resistant body and lensse as well as dual SD card and importantly optical image stabilized lens– a lot to loose really, but will gain compatibility of L lens mount. Come on Leica; bring CL up to decent standard in CL2. 

Bill and V23 thank you!

I travel quite often and know how important is to have a "light photographic equipment".

For my next trip to India I was thinking of the CL with the 18mm (27 equivalent) and SL with 50 and possibly the 90.

I could only bring the CL with the 18 mm and the Summilux-TL 35 (I saw that this lens is fantastic) but I'm not sure to leave home the SL...

The CL is a great camera to complement your SL. I'd get the 23 for it as a great allround walk around lens. In fact, the CL feels a bit more responsive than the SL does. When the SL is 'ready for action', all important things work very fast, but startup time and button-response are faster on my CL.

Joeri, thank you!

I think I'il take the CL... 

The 23 mm seems to be best choice (I've read that it's great) and, if necessary, I'll use my 50SL and 90SL (both outstanding lenses).

When you enter in the "Leica world" it is impossible to get out!  ;)

Everything I've posted in the CL image thread has been made with the CL and either the Elmarit-R 28 or Summilux-R 50, and a couple other photos (which I haven't posted here) were made with my iPhone 8 Plus. This is a super travel kit as is.

On the next trip with the CL (next Summer or Fall, still in planning stages), I'll swap the 50 for a 90 and add the WATE (or maybe get the T11-23), because that trip will have more need of both longer and wider.

I will go to India in January, I wanted to bring the SL with the 50SL, 90SL and a Zeiss distagon 21... Now I'm considering taking the CL with the 35 (50mm equivalent) and so leave home the 50SL (the heaviest of the group).   

Also the 90SL on the CL would become a 135mm (which could serve).

Alternatively I could take a zoom for the CL... I don't love the zoom lenses but now I'm very undecided...

I agree.

We're going to India for a holiday at the end of November, and I'm trying to think of reasons to take anything other than the CL+18-56, with Huawei P10 as backup! 

I go to India often, I've been four times already this year. I would recommend you take a wider angle in addition to the 18-56, especially for places like the Taj. There are some photo's on my Facebook page, "Photography by Tom Lane" but you would need to scroll down a way. A lot of those were taken with the 11-23mm. Just a thought.

Regards, Tom