Leica Q or Wait?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

And let's remember that, because of its transition to an annual event in the spring, Photokina will be held again in May 2019. So, if nothing is announced next week, why not wait until May 2019. And if nothing is announced then, don't worry. You can wait just another year, until May 2020 and maybe something will be announced. And, if not then, then May 2021. And if not then.....

:)  I think my mind is made up to get a used one before my trip. Going from the X2 to the Q is not a minor unnecessary upgrade for the sake of chasing the next new thing, it's a massive improvement in performance in basically every aspect. Vastly better autofocus and low-light performance seal the deal, not to mention the IQ with that lens. I know that buying used I won't pay sales tax, and I won't take a terrible hit in resale value even if Leica releases a new model next week. It'll probably be $5k and unavailable for a year (and anyway I plan to get at least 6 years out of the camera so resale value isn't a big concern). 

Thanks to everyone who commented, this is a topic that constantly comes up in tech but lots of the suggestions were extremely helpful for me. Hopefully I'll have some decent images from Vienna & Belgium to post. 

Gary

• Like 3

If indeed a new Q is announced at any time in the near or distant future it will probably not be a 28mm lens version. Many fans of the Leica Q have asked for a longer lens and some have indicated that they would be prepared to own two Q’s.

Leica may give in, so you could be faced with a decision regarding a new model with a focal length that doesn’t suit your type of photography.

Edited by lucerne
  • Like 1

If a new Q is announced this month, I doubt that it will be available straight away. And even when it does get available I expect a huge waiting at least for the first several months until the production catches up with demand. And even then, when after a year you will have your hands on your new camera, then a silver or titanium or chrome or whatever edition will become available and then you will question yourself if it was a good idea to get it straight away or whether you should have waited a bit to buy it. 

Edited by zampelis
  • Like 5

Gary enjoy the Q. It truly is a fantastic camera. The only improvement that can be made to it is getting rid of the video capabilities. In my case it is just a pointless feature which i never use.

I wont hold my breath for a Q2 this year either. And like others have said the only upgrade that the Q2 may have will be megapixels, 4K video and a different focal length lens. The former wont be much use to non-professionals like you and I, the 4kVideo is pointless (in my view) and as for the focal length a lot of people have been sceptical if it can be done without affecting the physical size of the lens.

I've said this before, but it's worth repeating in this context. My Q is the single best camera I've ever owned (and I've had Leica M's and Canons before). Short of losing it or it completely melting down, I can't see myself ever buying or using another camera.

Yes, the Q has ruined me. I keep wanting to buy more cameras, but I always ask myself: do I want to carry anything instead of the Q? And I don't: it's just too much fun and too brilliant. Still, at some point I'll probably need to change my angle of vision....

Edited by bags27
  • Like 3

Yes, the Q has ruined me. I keep wanting to buy more cameras, but I always ask myself: do I want to carry anything instead of the Q? And I don't: it's just too much fun and too brilliant. Still, at some point I'll probably need to change my angle of vision....

Why? Like a fine wine. It just keeps getting better. :-)

I just learned from Dan Cook this morning that the focus mode for face recognition defaults to wide, multi-focus points when no face is detected. That’s brilliant and yet another delightful surprise with the Q. Its a phenomenal camera as you well know.

• Like 5

I'd love a Q2 to add more megapixels, so that the apsc settings for 35mm and 50mm give more latitude, as larger files. Notwithstanding, it is just fantastic, and all for a similar cost to a stand-alone 28mm M lens.

Rob

Edited by ropo54
  • Like 2

I'm certainly enjoying the Q, I'm getting to know it and have managed to get a few shots that I'm happy with. It's a very different experience being able to take photos in very dim lighting conditions, although I wish I had taken time to redo the one below and get less noise. Live and learn I guess. 

Edited to add - this image looks much worse as a 300kb jpg. I have to find a better way to attach things.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by pandathumb

• 1 month later...

"or should I wait for the next revision? Sorry if this is a redundant thread, that last similar post I saw was quite a while ago. And with digital cameras things change quick.".

I just bought a Leica-Q, fantastic, as expected. Ideal for travelling, big 24MP sensor, supersharp 1.7 lens.

They are still producing: on the test card in the box it said 7 november 2018, and I received it at my favourite shop in Belgium on the 14-th delivered with firmware upgrade 3 !

I would not know why wait:

more pixels? it is super sharp already and I do not make posters of 3x2m2;

Flash built in? no, it is 1.7 and makes photographs almost in the dark; 

Movie? the only superfluous button in my Q ! I have a movie camera for that.

A zoom lens? for me no: bigger, quality probably lower.

Macro: built-in.

And the most important: the pictures have the same "something" (warmth, bokeh....) as from the best Leicas.

One wish, the next upgrade of the new Fotos app.

my 2 cents.

• Like 3

I took my M4-P out today to see if I could settle on using only a 28mm lens with it (in thoughts of maybe getting a Q, or Q-P), and I found that it was not possible for me to keep all the other lenses in the bag.  A 35mm is more my idea of an all day shooter.  For a 28mm lens on the Q/Q-P, it sure is a big one.  But that comes from the fast f1.7 max aperture, and the built in Macro shift.  There are times when it would be completely adequate for the situation, but I would not want one as my main camera all the time.  It would have to be a second camera to something like the M10-P. 

Now, if I could swing owning both those cameras at the same time, it would be the best of times.

PF