Leica Q or Wait?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am leaving for Europe next week and I'm struggling as to whether to upgrade my camera before I leave. I want the Leica Q in the worst way but I'm worried that - Leica or not - buying a camera 3 years after its release is a bad investment. At the same time, I've spent hours researching and it couldn't be more clear that there is no other camera out there that would suit my needs like the Q. I have an X2, and what I want some input on is would this be a worthwhile upgrade for me, or should I wait for the next revision? Sorry if this is a redundant thread, that last similar post I saw was quite a while ago. And with digital cameras things change quick. 

Mostly I shoot tourist photographs, street and landscape, and the best image I've taken with my X2 is attached. Any advice would be sincerely appreciated. 

gary

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by pandathumb
  • Like 2

Let's assume that Leica will produce a newer model (Q2)--although the only speculation about that comes from fantacizers, and not generated by Leica itself, except that they patented the name Q2; but years ago, they filed a patent for M12 and I wouldn't wait on that one. But let's assume there is a Q2 coming soon after you would have bought the Q. What in the "Q2" do you want that is not in the Q? It's not a case of newer technology, but of necessary technology. In any significant way does the Q fall below your needs which you'd  expect to have the Q2 address? If so, don't buy now; if not, grab it and enjoy it as much as the rest of us do.

My only caution for you is that it sounds like you want to buy a camera to travel with next week. The Q is one of the simplest cameras on earth, but I sure would want more than a week before relying on it for something as valuable as travel photos. That is, unless you devote a bit of time every day on the trip to analyzing your photos and look at the trip as part of the learning curve.

Don't worry about all the other pieces to the camera--strap, thumb support, case, etc. We'll help you spend your money! :-)

I could not wait.

I have owned a Q before, I knew how good it was and perfectly suited my needs. I bought it quickly in time for my holiday and I'm very happy with that decision.

I'd probably love the upgrade of a leica q 2 assuming it fundamentally stays the same..

But I am not waiting for it when I know I can get a perfectly good camera and use it now.

• Like 1

Even if a Q2 is announced the next day you have purchased a Q, will your new camera suddenly become crap?

It will remain the same great camera everybody here is happy to use since 3 years. Don’t wait, enjoy!

Edited by Voxen
  • Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Even if a Q2 is announced the next day you have purchased a Q, will your new camera suddenly become crap?

It will remain the same great camera everybody here is happy to use since 3 years. Don’t wait, enjoy!

I disagree. If I had bought the M10 just weeks before the 10P i would have been pretty annoyed. It has features that I find useful.

What is in store the Q2? I dont think we know nor do we know when it will be released. Should you buy now or wait? My decision was to wait and I have been waiting patiently for a year as I have other cameras I use to make photos. Will I buy the Q2 or buy a second hand Q - I will wait and see.

Its probably true that each new model has useful new features that customers want. Plus the technology proceeded and the dynamic range has improved again. And if I bought a Q today all knowing that this is 4 to 5 year old technology and a new model would be launched I would not say that the photographs are not worse now than 1 week ago. If this argument was true I still had my first digital camera from 20xx. Do you remember how happy we were with it at that time?

I would not buy a Q now any more but rent obe for my trip.

If 'gear' is your thing, don't buy yet. If photography is your thing, what's stopping you buying now?

OTOH, if your X2 takes the pics you like now, why buy at all?

I have a 1951-3(?) Leica 111f. It has won more prizes for me than my M10. :p

• Like 2

Thanks everyone for all the great feedback. I may rent one before I go, at a minimum I will go to the Leica shop in Vienna and watch what happens at Photokina. But there's a good chance I'll just buy one used before Monday so that I have it for the trip. It's a big investment for me, and my only hesitation with getting the Q now is that if a new model comes out the resale value of the Q takes a big hit. Had I bought one at release the value would have dropped by less than a thousand, however buying one today the depreciation will certainly be worse. Of course in the interim I'd still have the use of an amazing camera. 

Regarding the upgrade in one sense I agree that it's the photographer and not the camera; I've shot many fantastic images with my X2 but at the same time I'm all too aware of its limitations. Especially in challenging light situations. Can anyone honestly tell me that I wouldn't have gotten a (much) better result with the Q vs. the X2? I really doubt it. I've also lost lots of shots because the focus was off, and I regret not sending it back when it was under warranty because something seems not quite right with it. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3

I bought a Leica Q a week ago. The only thing that could be changed to make it a better camera would if they would eliminate the electronic viewfinder and replace it with an optical one. If the Q2 comes out soon and it has an OVF, yes I would be irritated with myself for not waiting.  But there aren't any rumors or indications that will happen any time soon.  If they announce it at Photokina in October, it probably won't be for sale for many months.  I wouldn't want to wait nine months or a year for a Q2.

As for other improvements, just a few months ago they released version 3 of the firmware.  That upgrade resolved several problems many reviewers had with the camera.  Although there are sensors with more megapixels, at this point 24 meg is a fairly high standard.  There doesn't seem to be a demand in the market for more.  Therefore, it shouldn't become supposedly obsolete too quickly. As for the physical design, it seems to be good as it is -- unless they can make it with a smaller lens.  So, if there is a new Leica Q coming, it won't be next month and there may not be much difference.  At this point, I'm glad I didn't wait.

• Like 1

If 'gear' is your thing, don't buy yet. If photography is your thing, what's stopping you buying now?

OTOH, if your X2 takes the pics you like now, why buy at all?

I have a 1951-3(?) Leica 111f. It has won more prizes for me than my M10. :p

Its very often about gear. Each new camera being launched is probaly better than its predecessor. And with sensors I expect more dynamic range mainly for landscape. And when the M11 offers that then I will move from M10 to M11. Would you not do that too? And as you write you have an M10 as well besides older models of the M as the M8 and M9.

And I want to add that photography is just one of my hobbies. I do not do photography in the sense of great art. The term „photography“ implies something pretentious. I am not there. And I hope that I am not the only one here.

Edited by Alex U.
  • Like 1

You need to try it first, at the very least. Specs and the comments of other users really don’t tell you how you will find it in use.

I’ve tried one briefly in store, and I loved the way it felt and responded. However, whilst I use a 28 as my primary wide angle, I also carry a second body with a 50 (or even 35) when we travel overseas.

Personally, I would wit to see what comes out at PK, if anything. In any case, buy new with a full warranty. As you say, it’s a significant investment, and a used price may we’ll be a false economy if there are issues later on.

You may even like to grab a Panasonic ZS200 (or similar) to have a modern, responsive, and versatile camera for your trip (and a backup) and save yourself the Leica purchase decision and expense for the time being.

Regardless, have a great trip!

Cheers

J :)

Its very often about gear. Each new camera being launched is probaly better than its predecessor. And with sensors I expect more dynamic range mainly for landscape. And when the M11 offers that then I will move from M10 to M11. Would you not do that too? And as you write you have an M10 as well besides older models of the M as the M8 and M9.

And I want to add that photography is just one of my hobbies. I do not do photography in the sense of great art. The term „photography“ implies something pretentious. I am not there. And I hope that I am not the only one here.

Hi Alex,

You are correct, it is often about gear. I have a dear friend who is totally into the gear. In his case it is Olympus, but the argument is the same. His pictures are mediocre (my words) but he simply loves his gear and is always 'updating' this and that, but his pictures never change. He is very happy that way so what is to criticize?

Foe me, now semi-retired, I have to think, do I really need, or want that new camera/lens? My gear was always the latest and the 'best' but it had to pay for itself. Financially, the M10 was the last straw for me. My pictures have marginally improved because of it's better (than the M9) low iso performance, but my image choice and design are still the same. That comes from me, not the camera. So, no I will not jump for an M11, or anything else. I have too many cameras already and should sell some that don't get much or any use. My M8's and M6's should go to someone who would use them more than I do. They deserve to be used.

As for the term 'photography' being pretentious, I can't agree there, but it is all a matter of perception. The fact is, it is, or can be a combination of science, art and coordination, and whole lot of other skills and disciplines, if one applies them. The fact that some make a pretension of it, as you remarked, is their fault, not that of the craft. I don't think there are many like that on this forum.

• Like 2

I disagree. If I had bought the M10 just weeks before the 10P i would have been pretty annoyed. It has features that I find useful.

I really don’t believe that Leica will release a Q2 soon, there is no reason for that since the Q still sells very well and remains a very high tech camera. The poster could wait for Photokina for sure, but I wouldn’t wait anymore if the Q2 is not announced there.

• Like 1

And let's remember that, because of its transition to an annual event in the spring, Photokina will be held again in May 2019. So, if nothing is announced next week, why not wait until May 2019. And if nothing is announced then, don't worry. You can wait just another year, until May 2020 and maybe something will be announced. And, if not then, then May 2021. And if not then.....

• Like 3