SL's Low-Light Performance?

Agent M10

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am thinking of buying into the SL system. One question: how good is the SL's low-light performance? I had an M-D and the most it could manage was 1600 and sometimes that wasn't great. I have a couple of M10s and don't have any problems with 10K or less. How does the SL currently stack up against the M10?

I stop at ISO6400 unless I’m willing to display small and go b/w.

Samples should be available online. I believe the M10 is slightly better. There should be some threads here and/or the M forum that explain the difference. I have no experience with the M10 but the SL is better than my M240.

I am thinking of buying into the SL system. One question: how good is the SL's low-light performance? I had an M-D and the most it could manage was 1600 and sometimes that wasn't great. I have a couple of M10s and don't have any problems with 10K or less. How does the SL currently stack up against the M10?

It depends, I've gotten a few nice shots at ISO 20K+ where there are fewer tones in the image. But, there is quite a bit of noise especially the color noise, it does take a bit of processing to make it acceptable.

Picture below was ISO 20K, handheld - SL+24-90 processing was  done with DxO.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

i never go above ISO 1600...ISO 3200 only if its something i really wanna take a quick photo of...but i use M lenses so in manual focus its fine...the people using Autofocus might have more insight on available light night shooting

the noise at 1600 and 3200 is quite nice unlike sony cameras

i never go above ISO 1600...ISO 3200 only if its something i really wanna take a quick photo of...but i use M lenses so in manual focus its fine...the people using Autofocus might have more insight on available light night shooting

the noise at 1600 and 3200 is quite nice unlike sony cameras

I’m not sure how Sony is related to the OP’s question nor where you come up with “Sony cameras” having poor noise characteristics at ISO 1600/3200. They make a lot of cameras, and a lot of them have better sensors than the SL.

I'm only talking about the organic look of the SL's high ISO noise vs the more digital look of the sony's high ISO noise..perhaps i should have explained better.

"the noise at 1600 and 3200 is quite nice unlike sony cameras"

I’m not sure how Sony is related to the OP’s question nor where you come up with “Sony cameras” having poor noise characteristics at ISO 1600/3200. They make a lot of cameras, and a lot of them have better sensors than the SL.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm only talking about the organic look of the SL's high ISO noise vs the more digital look of the sony's high ISO noise..perhaps i should have explained better.

"the noise at 1600 and 3200 is quite nice unlike sony cameras"

My previous post remains unchanged. I don’t know how comparing to Sony helps the OP compare to an M10. Also, Sony has a number of cameras that perform as well or better than the SL in terms of noise and DR at high ISO.

it might help the OP to know that the high ISO noise is a bit more pleasant than other manufacturers cameras, he already knows what the M10's are like

whatever.

My previous post remains unchanged. I don’t know how comparing to Sony helps the OP compare to an M10. Also, Sony has a number of cameras that perform as well or better than the SL in terms of noise and DR at high ISO.

Edited by jaapv

it might help the OP to know that the high ISO noise is a bit more pleasant than other manufacturers cameras, he already knows what the M10's are like

whatever.

The SL2 will most likely have less high ISO noise. So, when that comes out, I’ll still keep the SL because I suspect it will trade at a premium second hand for that pleasant high ISO noise.

Maximum ISO I use - under regular conditions - are ISO 6400.

my max setting is 12.500 - but it need some PP in every case

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

Under regular conditions I go to 3200 with both M10 and SL without any concerns. If necessary I will extend to 6400. To my eye the performance is roughly similar and perfectly fine. This is not based on scientific evidence or even close scrutiny of the files. At low light correct exposure remains important and, of course, you may have to increase noise reduction a bit.