The Leica Forum uses cookies. Read the privacy statement for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    OK, understood.

Photo
- - - - -

Dark church.

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Flight959

Flight959

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 08:55

Advertisement (Gone after free registration)

Morning all,

I have a large church local to me which has some stunning internal features which would look great on the Monochrom. I'm not new to photography but I'm very new to using this rangefinder in such low light. The church typically has a large stained glass window at one end. I'm looking to take plenty of internal shots. I would be greatful if anyone could give me any tips with using this camera. I have only owned it for a few months. I have two lenses to use... A 35mm summaron or a 28mm f2.

Having a reasonable amount of time shooting with an M8.2, again very little was in low light as its not famed for its low light performance.

Unfortunately today there is an issue with my tripod so all shots will pretty much be hand held.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

#2 PaulJohn

PaulJohn

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 257 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 14 September 2018 - 09:53

There are two things you will need to learn for yourself in this exercise.

1. How low you personally can set your shutter speed with good handheld technique (google it). Bracket a few speeds (say 1/15, 1/30, 1/60) and repeat a few times to see if you can consistently achieve sharp results.

2. How much noise you personally want or don't want. Some people like it.

Apart from that I would set the blinkies on to show you blown highlights - quite likely in a church if you are including the windows. In this scenario I tend to find the correct exposure by trial and error and bracket if both shadows and highlights get blown in the same shot.

I expect you would be happy with the results but might need to return with a tripod for bracketing exposures.

Do you need help with choosing aperture to get the right depth of field? The monochrome will be different to the M8 in this regard. You will need to close down an extra stop for the same front to back sharpness.

#3 mmradman

mmradman

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 2,333 posts
  • City / Ort:UK

Posted 14 September 2018 - 09:58

Unless intentional be careful not to blow highlights as you want be able to recover in post, especially relevant when shooting windows.  Reason for this is that sensor has no Bayer matrix so sensor records luminescence only, if overexposed there is no data to recover. If you are familiar how slide film works monochrome sensor behaves the same way. 

Shooting MO of Monochrome camera is to underexpose and recover dark areas in post.

Don't be afraid to use high ISO.

Regards,

Mladen

#4 jaapv

jaapv

• Moderators
  • 53,059 posts
  • LocationBehind a Red Dot
  • City / Ort:Hellevoetsluis

Posted 14 September 2018 - 10:09

I would change that to "expose for the highlights and never mind the shadows".  Or the noise - it is a non-issue on the Monochrom.

Jaap

WWW.JAAPVPHOTOGRAPHY.EU

Posts in blue bold font are made as a moderator

Leica user since 1976

#5 Flight959

Flight959

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 10:22

Thanks guys.. It's the noise that spoils an image for me. But from some of the stunning photos I've seen in here in the photos thread I've seen some fantastic shots with stupidly high ISO. The M8.2 noise was horrendous.

Reagrds

#6 a.noctilux

a.noctilux

Arnaud (I'm just amateur)

• Members
  • 1,524 posts
  • LocationMontpellier, Occitanie

Posted 14 September 2018 - 13:26

With Monochrom, the high ISO (MM1 to 10 k ISO) is usable and not "noisy" at all (less than my iso 3200 film! ).

In my practice, I rarely use that high ISO (3200 is plenty useful for me)

Maybe you can find some steady support (chair, wall, or what you can lean on the camera) to use stopped down for more dof.

Just experiment and you would see that the Monochrom can do a lot for "dark available light".

#7 a.noctilux

a.noctilux

• Members
  • 1,524 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 13:59

Some years ago, Saint Roch, Monochrom 1600 ISO, MATE at 35mm, 1/30s hand held :

Attached File  JA St Roch 41.jpg   219.35KB   0 downloads

• Kwesi, Mr Fjeld and Flight959 said thank you to this

#8 Flight959

Flight959

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 19 September 2018 - 18:02

Thanks for the advice,

I managed to finally get round to the church this afternoon. Unfortunately I still didn't have the missing part for my travel tripod. I think for a first attempt at using a rangefinder in the dark hand held I have found my initial results pleasing. Id love some feedback or pointers. even though this camera is good at high ISO I still found the pictures to contain a little too much noise.....or am i being fussy...?

43875251145_d36ae9bd5a_c.jpgLeica Church Test Shots by Simon Clarkson, on Flickr

44735197582_cc5362900e_c.jpgLeica Church Test Shots by Simon Clarkson, on Flickr

44735208552_3cff472dfb_c.jpgLeica Church Test Shots by Simon Clarkson, on Flickr

29848644777_66a564bba5_c.jpgLeica Church Test Shots by Simon Clarkson, on Flickr

Regards.

#9 a.noctilux

a.noctilux

• Members
  • 1,524 posts

Posted 19 September 2018 - 19:25

Simon,

For me, in this resolution seen here, I can not see any "noise" in your photos.

In my experience, noise is mainly on the dark part of church's inside pictures.

As there is no free lunch, maybe when you gain more experience with Monochrom, you would do it better.

Exposure can be tricky with contrasty subjects like here.

When in doubt, I just "bracket" some exposures (but with experiences, that became less usual).

Learn how to post-processing with underexposed "taken frames" may be good idea.

#10 Flight959

Flight959

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 19 September 2018 - 19:30

Can I ask what you are viewing the photos on.. Om my phone they look good. On a larger computer screen not so much.. So you are saying the grain that I am seeing is a result of under exposing and bringing it up..?

Regards.

#11 a.noctilux

a.noctilux

• Members
  • 1,524 posts

Posted 19 September 2018 - 19:48

To see and understand what we mean here:

How you see these twin photos ?

Brightness, noise, grain, etc.

Attached File  92 intérieur .jpg   139.1KB   0 downloads

this is what is from my Monochrom taken with Summicron-M 28mm, 1000 ISO

and second

Attached File  92 ps claire .jpg   165.05KB   0 downloads

This one with more brightness...

;) I don't pretend as "Art" here

#12 Flight959

Flight959

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 19 September 2018 - 20:12

I think I may have underexposed too much....  :huh:

Ill have another go...

Regards

#13 ibramr

ibramr

Neuer Benutzer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted Today, 16:24

Greetings. Is the subject matter here a good opportunity to use HDR? With a third shot with one more EV added to the two above discussed by a.noctilux, a composite can be very promising. Please share your views. Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic