seriously adoring review of SL

bags27

After using my SL for 3 years, I do not see the SL as a camera system that let's me down. Instead I'm pleasent surprised with the performance of the SL lenses coming from a M and M lens user. I think her review gave fair assessment to the SL and I regard the SL must be doing well as it is near EOL at the product life cycle.

Looking forward to ownership on a SLII.

• Like 2

Neat. I find the keeper comment just silly: these are digital bodies, and there's zero reason to hold on to them. Plenty bad stuff in the first-gen SL that'll make me want to jump ship to the next one as soon as it's out. 

Neat. I find the keeper comment just silly: these are digital bodies, and there's zero reason to hold on to them. Plenty bad stuff in the first-gen SL that'll make me want to jump ship to the next one as soon as it's out.

Sure, if there are things you dislike about your SL that are resolved with the SL2, then that is a good reason to upgrade; BUT there are plenty of good reasons to hold onto the camera you have. Not least cost.

Conversely, many seem to persuade themselves that more MP, better dymanic range, faster processor, bigger buffer, no red dot, black paint, touch screens and a whole host of other “improvements” will make their photography better, or will make their existing camera somehow redundant or not perform as well as it has done in the past.

The SL filled a very specific need for me when it was released - a universal platform for my M lenses, the R lens I had and providing new lenses with AF with longer focal lengths, and zooms. It continues to fill that need and it easily outperforms the “meat limitation” to my photography. That’s every reason to hold onto it; and my TL2 which will continue to perform as expected long after the TL3 has been released (assuming Leica continues with that camera).

Silly? No. But then, I will continue to run my oil burning Audi for as long as deisel is for sale, and I love listening to music on my 20 year old amps and speakers. If anything is silly, and dissonant, it’s rampant consumerism; something I’m as guilty of as the next person, but I do fight it.

Edited by IkarusJohn
  • Like 11

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have a three zeroes reason to hang on to mine for a while.

• Like 3

There are only 2 reasons for upgrading a camera:

1. To get features you actually need (not think you may need), that the current camera lacks.

2. Because you will be jealous of all the others with the new one. 

One requires rational thought and serious self reflection, the other doesn't. 

• Like 1

There are only 2 reasons for upgrading a camera:

1. To get features you actually need (not think you may need), that the current camera lacks.

2. Because you will be jealous of all the others with the new one. 

One requires rational thought and serious self reflection, the other doesn't. 

The reason to upgrade is the sensor and the software that turns the information into a picture. Better DR, more malleable files, etc .... these are the reasons. Bells and whistles aren't, nor is black paint IMHO.

I saw the review but I don't follow her channel, so I don't know how reliable she is.

I love my SL, but I'm not sure that I'd lead with skin tone, etc, as the features that make it all worth while.

There was a time when it was Sony or Leica for full frame mirrorless and the trade-off was more advanced tech / lower price v better ergonomics & some better / more compatible lenses (if you counted the M lenses). We now have a wider choice, including quasi MF cameras and exotic lenses, from a variety of vendors with a variety of pocket depths.  It seems to me that Leica is going to have to go large or go home to keep going, faced with this onslaught, if you'll pardon my mixed metaphors.

• Like 1

Honestly, I go on trips to places I won't go again pretty often. I'd rather get the most image quality out of it, so I find it utterly nuts to stick to an inferior camera in a fast-developing technology sector. I upgrade my iPhone regularly: I get a lot out of the better camera and new features. Leica's are great in same sense as iPhones in that you can re-sell them and take a minor hit and buy the latest and greatest. 

If you want to upgrade a camera it's not 'rampant consumerism', just like you wanting to replace an old oil burning gas guzzling car would not be: there's practical considerations to it. I feel like people trot this out as a great anti-buyer's remorse card on this forum frequently, and while if you're perfectly happy with your camera there is no need to upgrade, there's also no need to judge those that do.

"Life is short, buy the very best" seems like a motto this board could get behind, so why not live by it?  :)

I recently had a talk with lens designer Peter Karbe on where the lens design goes from here (which I will return to in a later article), but in short all the new Leica lenses are geared not only to capture perfect imagery in terms of colors, contrast, micro-details and three-dimensional perception, they are also optimized for sensor sizes way beyond 100MP.

I would like to draw the analogy of camera sensor pixel density to that of a LED/LCD Television screen size. Technically with the advancement of technology and maturity of know how television screen sizes will get bigger and lower in cost to purchase, but there will be a size limit based on needs of consumer. Same for pixel density, it will still move up but at a deminishing return over time as the effect cannot be realized by the eye. It looks like Leica now has the ball at it’s court as optical know how is it’s strength.

interesting he's got the looooong awaited 35 on his SL in the last image.... hopefully its not too far off, I mean there is late and then there is leica late 

no,. that' wrong; it's simply an old picture taken from Leica's website, nothing real:

http://de.leica-camera.com/Fotografie/Leica-SL/Leica-SL/Details

we will not see 35SL in the next day, sadly...

Nikon and Canon will offer nativ 35mms for their MILCs before Leica will do