The Leica Forum uses cookies. Read the privacy statement for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    OK, understood.

Photo
- - - - -

Odd Wetzler Engraving

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 alan mcfall

alan mcfall

fortgeschrittener Sammler

• Members
  • 325 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 01:30

Advertisement (Gone after free registration)

Received this Leitz item, most likely for microscope application. It came in a brass case similar to those used for microscope objectives,but marked " 1 in " rather than an objective number such as 3, 7, 1/12 Oil.  The lens or objective is marked "Leitz Wetzler".

Should this not be Wetzlar?  With an A instead of an E.

Is the " 1 inch" and the misspelled Wetzler suggestive of another company( British or US)  copying a leitz product and not getting the city name correct?

Am I missing some information, and Wetzler is an acceptable spelling?

Any other expamples like this?

Attached File  IMG_0770.jpg   81.89KB   0 downloads

Attached File  s-l1600 (2).jpg   122.61KB   0 downloads

#2 M9reno

M9reno

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 1,720 posts
  • City / Ort:Oxford, England

Posted 14 September 2018 - 05:45

To me it looks like a modern error in an engraving aimed at tarting up the item. The cutting of the letters looks amateurish and uneven.
Al

#3 jaapv

jaapv

• Moderators
  • 53,059 posts
  • LocationBehind a Red Dot
  • City / Ort:Hellevoetsluis

Posted 14 September 2018 - 07:48

It seems to me that it is some kind of microscope ocular adapter. Why anybody would go to the trouble of engraving it this way is beyond me.

Jaap

WWW.JAAPVPHOTOGRAPHY.EU

Posts in blue bold font are made as a moderator

Leica user since 1976

#4 250swb

250swb

Sponsoring Member

• Premium Member
  • 7,865 posts
  • LocationPeak District, United Kingdom

Posted 14 September 2018 - 08:08

There is no shortage of items on a well known auction site described as 'Wetzler', or indeed if you do a Google search you'll come up with lots and lots of links for 'Wetzler', so it would be easy for a faker to get it wrong. 

#5 schattenundlicht

schattenundlicht

untitled

• Members
  • 784 posts

Posted 16 September 2018 - 15:00

Even on a Monday, after an ‚all in‘ weekend, a German engraver most propably would not manage to misspell his home town ;)

Yet if, working long hours on a repetitive task, such a mistake could have crept in, it should have been sorted out by quality checks prior to packaging. Since Leitz microscope items were world class leading, they generally took pride in meticulous attention to detail.

The start/ stop marks of the engraving tool visible on several characters are not up to the customary level of Leitz craftmanship either. They are more typical of FED/ Zorki engravings.

Interesting item, though...

Kind regards
Mathias
  • alan mcfall said thank you to this

0 user(s) are reading this topic