skimmel

New Panasonic Full Frame with SL Mount?

The latest rumor is that Sigma, Panasonic and Leica are collaborating on Leica's SL mount. I wonder how well would M-lenses work on a rumored Panasonic body. With a high-resolution sensor, TL lenses could work quite well in crop mode.

Or even APS-C.

As to the question: Not a chance - the difference in register difference is too small to make a workable adapter.

However, a slightly bigger than MFT 100-400 TL would be very attractive.

They may not work full frame but they could be made to work on the camera, just as Aps/C Leica TL/CL lenses will now work on an SL.   Full compatability but only 10 mp.

One should never say never, but for me, I think a "SL2" (whoever it is made by) will not tempt money out of my pocket. 

Not only because my new found hobby has diverted funds, but I cannot justify a two camera body when the old one fully satisfies my small skills. 

Shaping up to be a great photokina. The manufacturers have put a lid on the leaks, past years the information was out a month before.

IF this is true, I'm wondering about the CL. Although it and its TL lenses are wonderful, I suspect at least some purchases have gone to SL users who want a back-up camera. For ~ the same price as a CL, you could have a very powerful (if klutzy in a Panasonic way) FF back-up.

A Foveon sensor would put an end to the use of M lenses unless there is some revolutionary new Foveon technology. R lenses would do fine.

IF this is true, I'm wondering about the CL. Although it and its TL lenses are wonderful, I suspect at least some purchases have gone to SL users who want a back-up camera. For ~ the same price as a CL, you could have a very powerful (if klutzy in a Panasonic way) FF back-up.

Given that the CL is very close to the SL in use and quality, that would depend entirely on size and weight.

Leica, Panasonic and Sigma?

https://www.slrumors.com/

Jeff

If true - at least this guy is building a website on the assumption - it does sound like a Kaufmann rabbit out of a hat. Interesting times.

They may not work full frame but they could be made to work on the camera, just as Aps/C Leica TL/CL lenses will now work on an SL.   Full compatability but only 10 mp.

There is still the geometrical difficulty of matching the mounts. There is simply no room for an adapter.

A Foveon sensor would put an end to the use of M lenses unless there is some revolutionary new Foveon technology. 

Why so? Is there a thick sensor stack on Foveon sensors? Just curious. All i can say is my Dp2 Merrill has the best acutance of all my digital cameras so far.

No. The pixels (sensels) of a Foveon sensor are three-layered. Thus the acceptance angle is limited and crosstalk is a problem.

I'm not surprised  that you like the acutance - there is no Bayer filter.

I think this is wonderful news and I guess it will give pause for thought for those considering buying into Canon or Nikon mirrorless.

I spent nearly a year with the Excellent Panasonic G9 body, and if this is what we are to expect as the basis then it really is exciting!

It seems to me to assure the success of the SL and we can expect to see more wonderful L mount lenses.

I can’t think of anything negative to say!

I fully agree  - let's hope it is true.  My GX8 feels like a Leica. I can think of one negative though - Panasonic tends to Buttonitis.

I fully agree - let's hope it is true. My GX8 feels like a Leica. I can think of one negative though - Panasonic tends to Buttonitis.

It sounds real to me (possibly even intentional). I’m sure that the SL2 will eschew buttonitis!

I recently bought an SL with 24-90 with which I'm very happy.

I'd certainly want a higher MP camera for landscape ( with SL mount or adaptor-mounted M-lenses) but don't want to pay out even bigger dollars for an SL-2 so soon. The mooted SL-mount Panasonic is therefore very interesting.  

However, we've been previously been caught out  with incorrect rumours so I'll not get too excited - yet.

I fully agree  - let's hope it is true.  My GX8 feels like a Leica. I can think of one negative though - Panasonic tends to Buttonitis.

If the SL2 is not to be a clone of this putative Panasonic at a higher price, it will have to be distinctive in a way that justifies a higher price: build quality? absence of buttons? different/better functionality?

Interesting!

Edited by LocalHero1953