New Panasonic Full Frame with SL Mount?

skimmel

Advertisement (gone after registration)

apropos of nothing, except that with fewer purchases comes less true R&D and risk-taking innovation, I suppose.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by bags27

On January 31, 2019 at 2:40 AM, bags27 said:

T lenses work on the SL with, what? around 16 mps, of picture. Is that right? Then with a 47 mps sensor they could give something like 24 mps images I suppose. Making T lenses more valuable.

On the SL the image shot with a T lens has about 10 megapixel. So on the S1R it will be close to 20 MP. Not bad at all.     :)

Edited by caissa

On February 1, 2019 at 7:15 PM, marcg said:

I don't quite understand that the Panasonic Lumix S1 with a 24–105 mm lens is cheaper than a Leica CL with a Vario lens or cheaper than a Canon Eos R also with a 24-105 mm lens.

I really would have thought that it would be more expensive.

That is your special view ..    In the web people are complaining that Panasonic is far too expensive compared to Fuji or Olympus (some say also Sony ?!).

2 hours ago, bags27 said:

apropos of nothing, except that with fewer purchases comes less true R&D and risk-taking innovation, I suppose.

Volume is down, but selling price is up. All of the big-name camera releases are in the >$1,000 price bracket, and serious hobbyists think nothing of comparing various systems that cost >$10,000 for a basic kit.

What has disappeared is the entry-level zoom camera that every household used to own, and the "Instamatic" camera sold in blister packs at the local pharmacy (the same place where you would drop-off your film!).

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, caissa said:

In the web people are complaining that Panasonic is far too expensive compared to Fuji or Olympus (some say also Sony ?!).

The pre-order price for the S1 at my local store is within a few dollars of the Nikon Z6, Canon R, and A7III. Seems like a decent price, given that the Panasonic has more advanced features. You can get a run-out A7II for cheaper, but that's last year's model.

As I mentioned in my previous comment, all cameras are getting expensive.

3 hours ago, BernardC said:

Volume is down, but selling price is up. All of the big-name camera releases are in the >$1,000 price bracket, and serious hobbyists think nothing of comparing various systems that cost >$10,000 for a basic kit.

What has disappeared is the entry-level zoom camera that every household used to own, and the "Instamatic" camera sold in blister packs at the local pharmacy (the same place where you would drop-off your film!).

The President of Canon recently said in an interview that he fears the digital camera market will shrink by half in the next two years.  That speaks to a more fundamental transition than you imply.  The smartphone has changed everything.

https://camerajabber.com/canon-ceo-camera-market-to-shrink-by-half-company-to-focus-on-corporate-customers/

Jeff

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 2/2/2019 at 2:20 AM, bags27 said:

FWIW, Nikon Z7 users are reportedly pleased with results with M mount lenses, though I haven't seen reports of their use with wide angle lenses.

I have seen a few examples, it is a bit better than the Sony cameras, but not as good as the SL. They also look a bit odd on the much bigger mount.

Am 2.2.2019 um 02:20 schrieb bags27:

FWIW, Nikon Z7 users are reportedly pleased with results with M mount lenses, though I haven't seen reports of their use with wide angle lenses.

Have a look at Fred Miranda Forums ...

For me the new Nikon Z might be a perfect addition to my Leica M for lenses above 75mm and below 28mm focal length.
The SL is far too bulky and the thin Sensor glass of the Nikon is very welcome ...

• Like 3

On 2/4/2019 at 8:43 PM, futura said:

Have to admit, I'm not too impressed with the chromatic noise at 6400

https://www.dpreview.com/sample-galleries/9045823839/panasonic-s1r-pre-production-sample-gallery/0365770135

????

You potentially have 6 stops of OIS ...... why would you ever want to use 6400 anyway ? 

In 3 years of SL I've only used iso 3200 a handful of times. I've just searched all my shots for 3 yrs+ and even handheld with the SL+75/2 I have never had to go above 1600 iso.

As far as I am concerned very high iso performance is for emergency use only ....

• Like 2

13 hours ago, thighslapper said:

????

You potentially have 6 stops of OIS ...... why would you ever want to use 6400 anyway ? 

In 3 years of SL I've only used iso 3200 a handful of times. I've just searched all my shots for 3 yrs+ and even handheld with the SL+75/2 I have never had to go above 1600 iso.

As far as I am concerned very high iso performance is for emergency use only ....

I've shot at high iso 3200+ quite a few times for low light work on the SL. That said the OIS should negate the need to use higher ISO on the panasonics, but its still interesting to see how it performs. 

18 hours ago, thighslapper said:

????

I guess you have never wanted small apertures for large DOF or fast shutter speeds for moving subjects in low light. If I didn’t use ISO 6400, I would lose many shots of my grandchildren. Photography is more than landscapes and fine art. As for digital noise at high ISOs, good NR software can often work wonders. 

19 hours ago, thighslapper said:

The performance at 6400 is indicative of DR and how hard you can push the files.  And IIRC correct base iso is 200 of the S1R as opposed 100 for the SL. Which make them the equivalent number of stops off base when thinking 3200 vs 6400. 

The question is are we giving up any range/increased noise for more MP when compared with the current SL. Way too early to say, of course. It would be interesting to see a comparison of the current SL to the S1, from an apples to apples perspective.  

OK, it was a bit of a snarky remark on my part .... :unsure: 

....... anyway the hands-on reviews seem to show a couple of stops better high ISO performance between the S1 over the S1R ...... which is clearly more aimed at those prioritising high res image quality over video, speed and low light performance. (ie. my needs). 

It will be interesting to see what the SL2 comes up with ...... if they produce something that keeps everyone happy it will be a miracle ...... will they choose to be very good at some things at the expense of others ..... or 'master of none' which may get slagged off as boring and lagging behind the competition. 

Sony, Canon, Nikon and now Panasonic all individually have some ingredients of the 'perfect' mirrorless FF camera ... but to date no-one has managed to combine them ..... and certainly not with the simplicity of use of an SL. 

Interesting times ......

18 hours ago, thighslapper said:

OK, it was a bit of a snarky remark on my part .... :unsure: 

....... anyway the hands-on reviews seem to show a couple of stops better high ISO performance between the S1 over the S1R ...... which is clearly more aimed at those prioritising high res image quality over video, speed and low light performance. (ie. my needs). 

It will be interesting to see what the SL2 comes up with ...... if they produce something that keeps everyone happy it will be a miracle ...... will they choose to be very good at some things at the expense of others ..... or 'master of none' which may get slagged off as boring and lagging behind the competition. 

Sony, Canon, Nikon and now Panasonic all individually have some ingredients of the 'perfect' mirrorless FF camera ... but to date no-one has managed to combine them ..... and certainly not with the simplicity of use of an SL. 

Interesting times ......

I'm quite glad that there is no perfect camera, yet. Then I still have some time to enjoy using the SL and time to save money for the next camera. There are so many new "great" cameras every year that my budget is far behind. And the next few are already looming at the horizon ....

Everybody here seems to have enough money to burn, so that he can hardly wait to get an opportunity to spend it. Sorry, it looks more and more ridiculous to me. I think at the beginning (> 35 years ago) I found it fascinating that Leica and its cameras and lenses was a long-time survivor. And looking around I wonder which of the many fashionable systems currently "en vogue" will have a long future life.

Or asked another way, which of the systems do I like so much, that I would keep it for the next ten years (and not switch as soon as anybody offers a small improvement in resolution or AF speed or size or ...  )

The S1/R looks like an interesting backup camera. But would I like to switch completely to Panasonic ? Rather not ...    (Or to Sony ? Definitely not! The moment the camera is announced, you can already count-down when it will be obsolete).

Edited by caissa