Film journey of a beginner

jmahto

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It has been so awesome so far!

I started film 5 months ago (long ago shot film when it was only choice). So far shot 20 rolls. Many of them experimental. Remaining split between landscape, my better half and my cat. My cat has no clue and generally is not appreciative of wonderful Tri-X shots of him. Well, I shoot anyway. Over time, I started developing BW film as well and now I am quite comfortable (developed last 8 in DD-X). I got a decent number of shots that I can be proud of.

Now my refrigerator is stocked with around 40 rolls of film. My first batch of DD-X is almost over and my M2 is smoother than ever. Now I am wondering what is ahead. I have gone past initial euphoria but still so much unexplored territory ahead. Photography had never been so exciting. :)

I would like to hear stories of how you started your own journey and how did it go.

My cat says Hi (Tri-X and M2)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 12

M4-2, Summarit-M 35 2.5, lith print.

25254912726_8b870f00dc_o.jpg[/url]

I started during film only era. With ORWO slide film and FSU RF camera.

Finished with Canon EOS camera and in-lab C-41.

Restarted with same FSU RF and bulk bw film. Then Bessa, then M. Now I have them all.

FSU, EOS, Bessa and M.

Learned how to print on gelatin silver under enlarger and how to C-41, E6, ECN2 at home.

• Like 6

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I hope your cats have signed model release forms or you might end up getting meeewwweeed

LOL... however I do see some discussion on getting model release form in order when shooting someone else's pet. 

But I have special relationship with my cat therefore he will be fine. BTW, he is also a passionate photographer. :)

(I guess I can post this since Nex6 has 90 tele-elmarit on it)

• Like 2

Thanks for sharing your story, jmahto. Since you asked, here's mine.

When I was a kid growing up in India in the 90s, my dad bought me a point-and-shoot Pentax PC-100 (and sometimes let me use his Minolta SLR). Fast-forward to 2011: the Minolta needed servicing, and I was able to get it done in Tokyo where I was living at the time. Since it was working again I thought I may as well use it, and in the intervening years, while I mostly took photos with a Nikon DSLR, I shot about 15 rolls of film on the Minolta. It was also in Tokyo that I handled a Leica for the first time – at Yodobashi Camera in Shinjuku – and instantly fell in love.

For 7 years I told myself I couldn't possibly justify the expense of a Leica. But this year my girlfriend finally convinced me. We bought a used M3 with a Summicron 50 at an auction: a joint gift from my girlfriend and my parents. It's an absolute joy to use. We've also started developing B&W film at home.

Here's a photo I took last weekend in Munich, where locals surf a "permanent wave" on the Eisbach river. Leica M3, Summicron 50 (f4, 1/1000). Ilford FP4+, developed at home. Comments welcome  :)

• Like 7

Thanks for sharing your story, jmahto. Since you asked, here's mine.

When I was a kid growing up in India in the 90s, my dad bought me a point-and-shoot Pentax PC-100 (and sometimes let me use his Minolta SLR). Fast-forward to 2011: the Minolta needed servicing, and I was able to get it done in Tokyo where I was living at the time. Since it was working again I thought I may as well use it, and in the intervening years, while I mostly took photos with a Nikon DSLR, I shot about 15 rolls of film on the Minolta. It was also in Tokyo that I handled a Leica for the first time – at Yodobashi Camera in Shinjuku – and instantly fell in love.

For 7 years I told myself I couldn't possibly justify the expense of a Leica. But this year my girlfriend finally convinced me. We bought a used M3 with a Summicron 50 at an auction: a joint gift from my girlfriend and my parents. It's an absolute joy to use. We've also started developing B&W film at home.

Here's a photo I took last weekend in Munich, where locals surf a "permanent wave" on the Eisbach river. Leica M3, Summicron 50 (f4, 1/1000). Ilford FP4+, developed at home. Comments welcome  :)

attachicon.gifsurfer.JPG

Welcome. Post more pictures in the film photo forums for us to enjoy. :) There is also a film photo thread for general film photos (even from non Leica equipment).

Leica M film photos

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/284086-leica-m-film-photos-feel-free-to-share-yours/

General film phots

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/205842-i-like-filmopen-thread/

• Like 2

Very nice and welcome, but please use the dedicated threads and subforums for displaying images.

Jaap, I find the two film forums in different sub locations (in my prev posts) little difficult to find. Does it make sense to move the Leica M film photos also to the Photo Forum > Other next to the "I like film (Other)" pinned thread.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
On 9/13/2018 at 5:09 PM, Ouroboros said:

Absolutely no logical reason to stick with just one film and one developer, Jayant, there's a lifetime of experimentation and discovery ahead. 

It never stops! :)

After many months I got Rodinal to try. So far I was using only DD-X. This is what I love about Film.... It never gets boring. :)

• Like 1