CL and M - button frustration!!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have had an M10 for over a year and recently purchased a CL as a backup. I love the CL but why oh why couldn't they put the 'Play' button in the middle like on the M10? Every time I want to view an image I press the 'Function' instead of 'Play'!

I'd disable the function button completely if I could.

Ok, I'll calm down now.

Great little camera though!

Maybe because it's logical? M8, M9 have it on top, the M240  and M10 just under the LV button.

As the CL has no LV button, the Play button moved to the top again. The X series has it on top as well.

Give it a bit of time, your muscle memory will adjust.

BTW, set the Fn button as LCD/EVF switch. Very practical.

Sorry Jaap, but it doesn't seem logical to me. The design of the back of the M10 and CL are almost identical - three buttons to the left of the LCD and the circular pad to the right. To me it would be logical to have buttons with the same function in the same place.

Having it set to LCD/EVF was the problem. Every time I pressed it by mistake I would have to go through the options to set the LCD/EVF back to how I like it. I have it set to Flash Settings now which is less of a hassle when pressed by mistake.

Anyway, as you say Jaap, I will get used to it - there's always something one can find fault with in every camera!

Matter of tastes i guess but the middle is the worst place to me. Hard to memorize where the display button stands whilst my other digital cameras have it at the top (CL, M8.2, Fuji X-E2, Pana LX100, Ricoh GXR) or the bottom (Canon 5D1, Sony A7s mod). Only exception is my poorly designed M240 from this standpoint.

It all depends on which other camera you use the CL with. I don't have the M10, but the M240. OTOH, I use the CL more often in parallel with the SL. In that comparison, it is not the buttons that irritate me, it's the dials: side to side on the CL, front to back on the SL. When set to A mode with EC on the other dial, I am constantly having to rethink which dial to turn, whichever function is assigned to which. I hope the SL2 has two side by side dials!

Since I usually use A mode on the CL and SL, adjusting exposure with EC and the histogram, I find I don't get confused with the M240 - it is sufficiently different from the other two (no histogram for a start) that my muscle memory treats them as two different set ups.

• Like 1

My mind compartmentalizes easily. Each camera is unique, and I don't know/care where the buttons on one are compared to any of the others.

I agree. I have Leica M cameras and I bought the CL after selling my Leica T. The new CL seemed more natural to me and was a 'traditional' set-up for my T/L lens kit (11-23, 18-56 and 55-135 AF telephotos). I also have Pentax equipment I use in harsher weather. Each camera sets up separately and its respective ergonomics have never bothered me. It's the end quality that is what I seek.