50 Noctilux 1.0 v.4 bokeh

Bo-Sixten

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi all. My first entry to this forum. 

I have tested two 50mm Noctilux 1.0 v.4 lenses on my M10 with respect to focus field curvature and bokeh. The lens from 1998 shows a somewhat flatter focus field and a swirly bokeh at larger apertures. The lens from 2002 has an extreme moustache shaped focus field and a smoother bokeh. 

My question is if there is a trade off between these two parameters in correction of spherical lens imperfections. And secondly, do these differences stem from sample variations or a deliberate lens design "updates".

Both lenses are fantastic but a little different. Any experience or observations from the forum?

Here is a sample from the 2002 Noctilux at f/1.0. Peculiar meeting in a forrest in northern Sweden.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I haven't heard of any optically differences between or within the four Noctilux f/1 versions. Are they tested under exactly the same conditions?

Cool picture btw! At first glance I thought it was three dogs.  :D

Thus sayeth Ken the Rockwell:  There were three versions of the 50mm f/1.0 Noctilux M -

11821 (1976-1993) 58mm filter size and

11821 (1983-1993) 60mm filter size.  Then there was

11822 (1993-2008) 60mm filter size.

All three were made exclusively in Leica's Canadian facility.  One would therefore think that there would be no variations or optical differences.

Nonetheless, we still hear of M lens owners who got a supposedly "good copy" or a "bad copy" of a given lens.  If the lenses were manufactured to the same standards of craftsmanship, the same optical design and inspected in a competent manner, you would expect no variations.

Yet we still hear of "good copies" or "bad copies" of a given lens.

I do not believe in "good copies" or "bad copies" of a given lens; but fate was kind to me and I did get a "good copy" of #11822 back in August of 2008... :)

Edited by Herr Barnack