New to Q; Way to wifi images directly to MAC, and not use iphone at all

dannyk

Advertisement (gone after registration)

One of the reasons I bought just the Q was to transfer images directly by Wifi to my computer and not use the iphone as any sort of intermediate. I see with a Windows system it recognizes the camera as a separate drive which is great, but for a Mac I see no way around using the phone unless as an intermediate. I could use the cable but that defeats the whole purpose. Is there a way to do this ...I hope (and not having to use Cloud or any other transfer intermediate)? Because if not I can definitely see returning it.

I carry two WD My Passport battery powered drives with WiFi.  In the field, between shoots, I pull the SD card, stick it into the drive, put a fresh SD into the Q.  When arriving home/hotel my images are safely backed up on the Passport and the SD cards safely in their wallet.

Then, I read from the SD into the Mac.  Passport is a huge backup while LR backs up either locally (LR Classic) or cloud (LR CC).

• Like 2

Danny -

I suspect your expectations for Wi-Fi transfer speed are unrealistic.  I got an adapter for my 12" Mac notebook that has a female USB 2 connector and male Lightening connector (https://www.cdw.com/product/Apple-Lightning-to-USB-3-Camera-Adapter-Lightning-adapter-Lightning-U/4059926?cm_cat=GoogleBase&cm_ite=4059926&cm_pla=NA-NA-APL_US&cm_ven=acquirgy&ef_id=WtCsLAAABoIp6hME:20180913113306:s&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIlKaW_PC33QIVjlqGCh0oegK3EAQYBCABEgLyu_D_BwE&s_kwcid=AL!4223!3!198553132056!!!g!338279809168!)  (You can also get it as a dual connector letting you charge the battery while doing other things via the USB connector).  I have an SD card reader plugged into its USB port (https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820300018&ignorebbr=1&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC-_-pla-_-Card+Reader%2FAdapter-_-N82E16820300018&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIg4uk8vG33QIVk1uGCh2mvQFNEAkYAiABEgKKyfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds).  This is a small, light, fast solution.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
On ‎9‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 8:30 AM, jaapv said:

Why don't you just pop the card into a card reader? That is usually the easiest, fastest and most reliable method.

Indeed, the connection to the app is slow as expected, and it drains the battery very fast, so that is no option, Also the connection fails very often. That portable SSD with SD reader is super.