How many CL owners came from the SL??

Donzo98

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just curious...

Have any of you had an SL... got tired of the weight of the SL glass, and have now gone CL completely??

I had both a Q and SL... with a ton of SL glass. I recently traded my Q for a CL 18mm KIt + some cash. I then added a 23. 

I just sold some of my SL glass... the 90-280 and 50 SL.

I really love the SL and it's IQ, but I'm finding the CL a pleasure to carry around (just like the Q was). To me, the CL is basically an interchangeable lens Q. Yes, I would love if it was FF, but then the glass would be bigger.

I don't see myself selling the SL...at least not yet. The SL body is not that big... but the zooms and 50 SL certainly are.

Thoughts??

Well, you already know what I did. I really loved the SL's build, feel and weather-sealing, but never really bonded with it like I did with my M-Series Leicas over the years. I really bonded with the CL.

The compact package coupled with the versatility of being able to use virtually any M, R, and SL lens, opens up an entirely new world of possibilities.

I really hope that the Leica CL system with its APS-C lenses, takes off, now that I've invested in four TL lenses. I can throw the camera and 2-3 lenses into my Billingham Hadley Small Pro, and I'm off!

-Brad

Well, you already know what I did. I really loved the SL's build, feel and weather-sealing, but never really bonded with it like I did with my M-Series Leicas over the years. I really bonded with the CL.

The compact package coupled with the versatility of being able to use virtually any M, R, and SL lens, opens up an entirely new world of possibilities.

I really hope that the Leica CL system with its APS-C lenses, takes off, now that I've invested in four TL lenses. I can throw the camera and 2-3 lenses into my Billingham Hadley Small Pro, and I'm off!

-Brad

Yeah... I sold the 50 today :) Still have the 24-90, 75 and 90. 90 is on the sales block...

Keeping the 75... one from a few minutes ago @ F2. The CL can't do that!

New75-11.JPG

Edited by Donzo98
  • Like 3

Dunno why not. The CL with Summilux-R 50mm would do just about the same thing. ??

I loved the SL, it fit what I was doing photographically from when I got it until some time in 2016. Then it sat for a year and a half because my photography had gone in a different direction. I sold it and its zoom lenses, bought the CL to fill in the niche that that left in my equipment and use it with my R lenses. It works well for me.

Edited by ramarren

I have both, the SL with the 2 native zoom lenses  and the CL with the 18-56 and the 55 - 135.  Both are great - but I would not sell the SL and the native lenses and only go with the CL. The CL makes a lot of fun and has very good picture quality - but the SL is a excellent working horse and able to use my three  3 macro lenses of Canon - even together with a 1, 4 converter - and the possibilty to change aperture on this body together with

the Novoflex adapter.

Edited by HeinzX
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I recently bought the CL, primarily as a back up to my SL, and use the former with the 35/1.4 and M28/2 to good effect. On a recent shoot I used the SL with the 90/280 and when the subject came closer I picked up the CL with the 24/90. Worked well for me and I love them both. 

SL + CL + almost full complement of lenses for both and no intentions on selling either ...... both get used depending on what I am up to. 

I like the way the SL lenses extend the range of the CL.

For landscape trips I take both plus a secondary lighter tripod and use both simultaneously ...... SL for long exposures and the CL whilst I'm waiting for handheld shots or long shots ..... the CL + a couple of lenses is about the same weight as the 90-280 and easier to pack. 

The combo together gives great flexibility. I can get the SL, CL , 24-90, 16-35 plus all 3 CL zooms + filters and other gear in the mid sized mindshift backpack .... about 10kg ....... and just the CL gear in a smaller pack if I want to travel lighter.

Lots of options ....... and you are never compromising on image quality. What's not to like ?

Edited by thighslapper

I have SL, CL and M10 and use them in various combinations.  CL + M10 being the most common for travel.  Documenting changes in our city is typically SL + CL.  M and R lenses are useful on all 3, including some weird and wonderful ones, like R 15/2.8 and M 18 and 21.  I use CL lenses on the SL for video, but haven't tried CL video yet.  There isn't time for all the options if I want to get good results from at least some of them.