Lightroom Issues

sprice

Advertisement (gone after registration)

While on vacation in Italy, I downloaded (and backed up on a portable hard drive) all my shots in Lightroom. Now, the Lightroom Library shows that the the pictures are in the library, but I can't access any of the pictures. When downloading, I automatically included the tag "Italy" and the library shows that there are 838 pictures in the Italy group, but when I click on the name, no pictures show. I did exactly what I have done in the past with other M8 pictures, which show up in the library. Any help would be very, very much appreciated.

While on vacation in Italy, I downloaded (and backed up on a portable hard drive) all my shots in Lightroom. Now, the Lightroom Library shows that the the pictures are in the library, but I can't access any of the pictures. When downloading, I automatically included the tag "Italy" and the library shows that there are 838 pictures in the Italy group, but when I click on the name, no pictures show. I did exactly what I have done in the past with other M8 pictures, which show up in the library. Any help would be very, very much appreciated.

Use Adobe Bridge to browse the folder where you think they are and adjacent folders, until you locate them, then re-import them into Lightroom - that's what I'd try... but do listen for better advice first! I bet you haven't lost them though, but as a recent Lightroom Upgrade Scare taught me, backup backup backup, even when you think you do it too much already!

Good luck

Tim

I'm just learning Lightroom myself, so these questions are very basic, likely very obvious to you, but have caused me some confusion.

Did you move the catalog and/or images at all since downloaded?

Do the folders from the trip appear in the Folders panel? I presume yes based on what you said.

In the left Library panel (in Library module), make sure "All Photographs" is clicked.

Also in Library module, in the Find panel, make sure the boxes are unchecked.

On the Filters bar, turn the little switch off, to be sure no filters are applied.

Not sure if it's possible, but nothing applied in Metadata browser.

You've probably done all these very basic things, but just in case... But there are many more expert than I here.

It just sounds like LR has lost the link between the actual DNG files (your images) and the corresponding entries in your Library.

If you look at the Library, are the folder names in red? If so, can you right-click (or Ctrl-Click on a one-button Mac) and choose the "Find Files" option? Doing so re-creates the link between the information stored in the LR library and the actual physical location of your files on the hard disk.

The way that LR works is that it creates an XML-based database of your images, and all the edits you've made to them in LR, as well as any metadata, sorting, tagging, etc. information you have applied. All of THAT info is stored in your LR file (your database).

But your images are still stored in individual DNG files (and/or JPEGs) --- the LR database has a link for each entry that tells it where those DNG/JPG files are actually located.

Given that you can "see" the files/thumbnails in LR, it seems that's the linkage that's missing, and re-creating the link is a fairly trivial issue if you just go through your folder list and choose each red-highlighted folder name.

If that doesn't do it, post further and perhaps I or someone else here can help :)