Using Live View on a Leica M10

SMAL

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I put long R telephoto lenses on my M10, like my Leitz 350mm (effective 525mm) lens, and I have no choice but to use live view focusing. It works great.

I don't understand with 350mm lens ( I think it's the Telyt-R 4.8/350mm that I use also ) how is "effective 525mm" on M10 24x36 sensor ?

Whatever path you take to the shot that works. Typically I focus and do general framing via the OVF, then switch to the EVF for precise framing and adjusting exposure comp for difficult scenes.  Most folks seem to hate the idea of switching between finders, and frankly I did at first as well, but after a few outings it became second nature and reasonably quick.  The exception to this, of course, is when theres a need for speed to the shot. Then I go solely with the OVF. 

Beyond the RF, the truly unique aspect of recent Ms as opposed to any other camera you might consider, save the X-Pro perhaps, is this duality. For me its a key aspect of what makes the M the right platform for me.  

Well just to add my $.02, I use the RF exclusively but ONLY because it makes ME feel better, more "skillful". It's almost as if I'm going back in time and taking the pictures that we all admire, in retrospect, today. 

Please understand:  I'm not saying I AM a better photographer, or that people who use the LCD aren't, I know that's not the case. REAL photographers use whatever tools are available to them and are judged by the quality of the photos they take. But as a 68 year old who started with a Leicaflex SL back in the 60s and to whom the past is always just a bit rosier, the M10 and RF offers an experience I can't get elsewhere.

One thing I should note, if I'm not mistaken, is that when you use the LCD you can use the alternate metering modes of the M10. That might be an advantage as I find the "standard" center-weighted mode to give me underexposed subjects against even moderately bright backgrounds and I always have to fiddle with the EC dial (turn it up with my 28mm Elmarit and back down again for my 50mm and 90mm lenses).

I don't understand with 350mm lens ( I think it's the Telyt-R 4.8/350mm that I use also ) how is "effective 525mm" on M10 24x36 sensor ?

My first comment failed to include saying that I also use R lenses on my Leica CL, which has a 1.5x crop factor, thus making my Leitz 350mm R lens an effective 525mm telephone prime lens on the CL.

• Like 1

My first comment failed to include saying that I also use R lenses on my Leica CL, which has a 1.5x crop factor, thus making my Leitz 350mm R lens an effective 525mm telephone prime lens on the CL.

So on CL this is "telephoto prime lens" ?

I think "machine/machinal correction" is responsible of telephone-telephoto.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have two M10s, my first Leicas. I use the VisoFlex EVF when shooting with the Super Elmar 18 because the lens angle of view is much wider than the rangefinder can handle (maximum is 28mm).

You have to turn on Live View in order to use the VisoFlex. It's nice to be able to use the spot meter in Live View through the VisoFlex. And the VisoFlex adds GPS data to the image file. It also definitely helps with focusing using tele lenses too, but I use it rarely.

If not for the VisoFlex, I would probably not use Live View very much. If I forget to bring the VisoFlex, I can use Live View with the SE 18. 

Regards,

Bud James

Please check out my fine art and travel photography at www.budjames.photography or on Instagram at www.instagram.com/budjamesphoto.

The availability of Live View and the Visoflex EVF allows a Leica M to approach the versatility of an SLR camera for usable lens range, framing, and focusing accuracy. It extends the versatility of the camera body in a more convenient way than all the other gizmos Leica made over the years to do the same job. On that basis, it is a nice "plus feature", particularly if you find yourself needing to do those things infrequently and don't want to buy another camera to handle them.

The only negative about having Live View is simply that it's there and unused if you don't need it. That's a pretty easy thing to live with.

• Like 3

I use the RF nearly exclusively. While I use the LCD on my Fujifilm, it has autofocus. I find holding the camera with live view and focusing very difficult. I have a Visiflex, but never use it... don't know why... just like using the camera's viewfinder. Also, let's you view the scene with the left eye while the picture frame to verify your getting the right place.

For me, Viso20 is a prerequisite for my 10mm UWA, and useful for 90-f/2 in difficult situations.

I personally do not like the „hands-stretched-out 1990ies compact camera“ feel I get from using LV with the rear screen. On a tripod it may sometimes be useful, though even there I barely use it since I find the tiltable Viso much more versatile and useable in daylight.

From 28 to 50 (and most of the time 90) it is OVF for me, until my beginning presbyopia deteriorates one day, but then I might have to switch to autofocus :(

Edited by schattenundlicht

• 2 years later...

I have always had to shoot Ms with eyeglasses and struggle a bit with the frame edges - moving the eye around the viewfinder worked but was not ideal. 
Recent cataract surgery improved the vision so now am able to shoot without eyeglasses - and while good enough for composition, accurate focusing remains a bit of a challenge. LV allows for quick checking, so  now can shoot these lovely lenses wide open. Really nice to have. 

• Like 1

I mostly find Live View useful on a tripod.  I have also recently begun experimenting with a zoom lens where you can't use the rangefinder, but in that case I prefer the EVF.  I can't quite seem to get the hang of holding a camera at arms length in front of me to shoot, although when traveling I do notice that about a gazillion other tourists seem able to do so just fine with iPads and cellphones :)

Interestingly enough, as I begin to get more and more experience with my Hasselblad I'm finding that I seem to be using Live View more and more.  No idea why that might be.

• Like 1